Discord but not forums? Tells you something...

Discussion in 'General Gameplay Discussion' started by santargria, Mar 30, 2017.

1. Jrox Well-Known Member

I would prefer he do anything regarding work during work hours. How about a little break from discord during normal hours, rather than all of it in Discord. But thanks Katz. :)

Don't care about the MOTD so much. And I don't need it to be pinned just posted. I read all of the latest threads daily or every other day sometimes when I have time so I really don't miss anything here. I just don't have time to sift through Discord nor do I want to.

I truly believe that's what the "official forums" were meant for. I don't want Discord eliminated as I do believe it offers a service to other players and the ability for them to feel connected in a way to the dev team. It does serve a good way of keeping players involved. I would just like the "Important/Updates/Bugs/Fixes or other pertinent information shared here. Even if it's a locked post of just for FYI. Don't even need to be able to reply or comment, simply share it here. It can even be once a week of everything that was important and discussed in discord to remove the speculation of who was spilling gossip or fact.;)

I never implied, nor would I, for anyone to have to cater to us on their free time when it is something that should be handled as part of a job description at Daybreak. Whether it be Jamiss or any other member of the team responsible for community relations/player communications.:rolleyes:
    santargria likes this.
  2. Jrox Well-Known Member

That is something I had not considered. If there is something out there that can accomplish this with some what relevance I would gladly donate some of my time to doing as Katz has suggested.
    santargria likes this.
  3. santargria Well-Known Member

Perhaps that's something that can be directed towards eq2wire and Feldon's talents?

I wouldn't ask that of him since he's already done so much for the community, but perhaps he could open a channel and make it available for a funnel from Discord?

Like I said, I've not looked to much into the api or the documentation
  4. Tigerr Well-Known Member

Why would they visit forums more. Majority of people on the forums are complaining about how stuff is too hard and tedious.
    Griffon Lady likes this.
  5. Meneltel Well-Known Member

It should be someone's job to do that. If you don't listen to your customers, you soon wont have any...

And if the majority are complaining, perhaps they are right then...
    Steelviper, Phaedrix, Zeffran and 6 others like this.
  6. Griffon Lady Well-Known Member

Not to mention there is always someone that complains about how the dev (even if it's an art dev) should be debugging code or something instead of browsing forums. XD always SOMEONE (And I suspect it's the same people that yell at guides about how they should be debugging code too. /sigh)

If every thing I did only received complaints and the million things that WERE working fine just got ignored, I'd avoid those people too. (probably why I don't talk to my folks much! =P)
    Prissetta likes this.
  7. MikeySaysGo Member

You have to communicate with your customers, especially on your own games forums. I have been playing this Tigerknight epic war game on steam. They respond to most all forums and communicate with their players. There is even a developer who gets on and plays with us in game all the time. They will be very rich one day... And they game is improving everyday. Why eq2 has been neglected for the last 5 years or so is beyond me. It's an amazing game. However I feel the people that have been working on the game the last half decade should be replaced. No more dungeons/raids with silly mechanics! this isn't final fantasy online or a choreography lesson. Eq1 D@D style mechanics and advancement are why people love everquest. You have lost that a long time ago. Oh and communicate with us.... let us know that our favorite game has some hope... That someone is trying to make the game great again.
    Steelviper, Meneltel and Feldon like this.
  8. Feldon Well-Known Member

For 8 1/2 years, I have collected and summarized game changes, new content updates, and wherever possible, developer decisions. That is no longer possible with the current situation.
    Places I'm allowed to collect information from:
    • Official Forums
    • Twitter
    • Facebook
    Places where Devs post:
    • Discord
    I assume you can see the problem.
    Tekka, Steelviper, Finora and 9 others like this.
  9. Jrox Well-Known Member

I have mentioned in the past checking facebook and twitter feeds as well. Discord is just too much. I'm glad it's there for those who want to chat and to maybe get a shifty remark every now and then may be good for some to feel connected. But I believe anything relevant should be here.

I don't envy you Feldon. The work you have put in keeping this community alive and informed so long goes without saying. But I can definitely understand why you feel now is the right time to look for someone to take over your walk. And as I stated in one of your threads, you will be missed on that front because I don't think anyone will be nor can be as diligent in the current climate of change, or shift in design of the way things are starting to work. I saw someone post in a thread about signs they saw at the end of LOTR and Vanguard as well as EQ Landmark, and all of them had one thing in common. The shift in how communicating with its population made a major shift as is happening here and now.

Sad times... But I'm holding on to what I can for now...
  10. Rosyposy Well-Known Member

:(:(:(
  11. Feldon Well-Known Member

And the bonus to all this of course is that I struck up a conversation with RadarX about the amount of forum communication and he told me about how successful Discord had been for other games, so I volunteered to spearhead it. So I get to own this one.
    Jrox, Mizgamer62, Azian and 3 others like this.
  12. Shmogre Well-Known Member

We're in good hands. Thank you, Feldon...looking forward to seeing what comes next.
    Prissetta likes this.
  13. Lucus Well-Known Member

Feldon if they are not letting you pull info off discord to use for eq2wire newsposts then it's their fault, not yours.

if they don't want the playerbase as a whole to know about something then they shouldn't post it on discord period.

P.S

thanks for all your efforts helping so many players out with a reliable third party news site for so many years.
  14. Phaedrix Active Member

Seriously, there's always somebody like you, isn't there? No matter how eloquent and constructive the criticism, no matter how well-reasoned the concerns, "that guy" always comes back with, "You people complain too much! Y so whine &c. &c."

I can't recall ever having seen such a high level of debate as has been appearing on the forum lately. The playerbase is concerned, but at the same time most people are conducting themselves patiently and doing a great job of backing up their arguments.
    Steelviper, Jrox, Zeddicious and 4 others like this.
  15. Pitta Active Member

So you're saying that you are no longer allowed to collect information from discord. But what you are saying has a few flaws.
    1. The discussions that happen through Discord are 100%, entirely, public information.
    2. You have stated in the past that you do not get paid by DBG to do the stuff you do, which suggests a lack of any legal obligation to not release any information. Therefore, you can make use of any and all public information that is made so in any way you see fit, as can the rest of the game's population.
    3. I assume you were banned from Discord. Like EverQuest 2, you can get back in by creating another account once you are banned. I have done this multiple times. It isn't hard.

Don't get me wrong, i love your website, and what you do is an invaluable resource to those who play the game. But saying that you cannot do this anymore because of the events that unfolded in Discord is incorrect. Don't just spout nonsense because you are salty you can't ban people anymore.

I love the Discord application, and i use it for several games. It is the best free chat client available, and has an infinite number of uses. I have even had EQ2 raiding guilds use it instead of Ventrilo or Teamspeak or ingame voice, etc. because of its success. It's incredibly effective, easy to use, and doesn't cost anyone a dime. If you don't want to use it because of stubborn ideals of third party software/websites, then don't. But don't complain about it if you make that conscious decision.
  16. MikeySaysGo Member

Discord is far inferior to these forums when it comes to communication potential.
    1. These Forums are already established specifically to communicate information and ideas about the said game.
    2. Everyone is already registered here and communicates here.
    3. All the information is archived clearly for people to read at any given time.
    4. Writing here allows posts to be thought out before being posted.
    5. What is the point in adding discord when you already have a far superior method of communication well established? I think it's just pure laziness and neglect. It's mind boggling, discombobulation.
    Steelviper, Jrox, Mizgamer62 and 3 others like this.
  17. Errrorr An Actual EQ2 Player

My favourite part of this is how everyone seems to think forum communication pre-discord was frequent and happened a lot.

Devs rarely post on the forums any more, because when they do, they get jumped on by a ton of people asking totally irrelevant things to their posts, or they just get abuse.

Seeing a conversation on Discord allows devs to respond at that moment, without having to read back through pages and pages of text, and can reply instantly without having to go through all the hassle on the forums. It'd be very easy to be working on something on 1 screen, and have Discord on a second flowing with conversation. Forums don't allow that unless you are actively focused on it and clicking through topics.

Just because they do not post on the forums all the time, does not mean they don't read them either.
    Prissetta, Zeddicious and Azian like this.
  18. Pitta Active Member

The entire reason Discord was used was this:
    Players are always looking at methods to keep in communication with developers. Of late, the forums have been less than successful at serving that mission. Community has tried different things, including engaging us on Facebook, Twitter, and Reddit, however these social media platforms haven't been adopted as much as they have in other games.
    Again, no one is forcing you to use Discord. The forums are still the place where official releases, game update notes, server maintenance, and other important aspects of the game are communicated.
    Also, what Errorr said is a very good point, Seeing a conversation on Discord allows devs to respond at that moment, without having to read back through pages and pages of text, and can reply instantly without having to go through all the hassle on the forums. It'd be very easy to be working on something on 1 screen, and have Discord on a second flowing with conversation. Forums don't allow that unless you are actively focused on it and clicking through topics.
    Prissetta likes this.
  19. Finora Well-Known Member

I actually really like the 'realtime' aspect of Discord. I've seen more dev activity there than I have on the forums in more than a year. That part of it is great.

What is seriously lacking is announcements and such on the forums. Specifically anything at all from Holly. She was missing for so long there before the last producer's letter that I was seriously worried for her health. Now she's gone missing again as far as Eq2 goes.
    A couple of minutes every couple of weeks from someone would be enough to write something on the forums that would keep people from feeling completely ignored. We don't even get notices when new stuff is put on the marketplace anymore (unless it's holiday related, we do get holiday notices).

All we've heard officially about eq2's future is "yeah, there's an expansion we are working out concepts for. it's going to be cool" way back in December. As much as I enjoy this game, it's hard to stay positive when you get no official info outside of patch notes, holiday announcements and things said in discord chat that you hear about second hand.
    HaphazardAllure, Mizgamer62 and Azian like this.
  20. Creasote Well-Known Member

These forums worked fine for years. There has been an obvious absence of DBG management posts of late. It is perceived that management does not care about its gaming community.

Discord is fine but all the relevant information is not making to these forums on a timely basis. A good part of the community uses these forums for information not Discord, FB or Twitter. Why are we fracturing the community further?

Cant we consolidate the information tnto something official?
    Steelviper, Jrox, Mizgamer62 and 2 others like this.