Resolve

Discussion in 'Test Server Forum' started by knine, Apr 22, 2016.

1. Entropy Well-Known Member

Uh, just what kind of power inflation do you think we're going to get from gaining 2 relics? I have the hammer right now, so just exactly how much do you think I'm going to gain from now being able to wear two pieces of relic armor (p.s. I'm already basically capped on CB, so I'm only getting Potency gains), or a few fervor from the belt, or whatever? It's a few percent boost over what I was doing before. Calm down with your 1 billion DPS hyperbole.
  2. Genghes Active Member

Resolve adds a new challenge to the game. If something is to easy it's not fun. Resolve is also a "test" of potentially a new mechanic. Part of the fun is figuring out how to beat these encounters. So making demands on something you can only speculate about is a waste of everyone's time
  3. Kham Active Member

Genghes having a concern about a system that at any time gates progression based on raid diversity and number of players in a raid and expecting a clarified answer to the reasoning isnt wasting anybodys time. Its being reasonable. There is no explanation as to the base number of resolve they are adding to each raid mob for the number of expected buffs. is it 160? 180? 200? im sure there is a number, it only makes sense. but what is it? how diverse are we expected to be. at least show the numbers of resolve your expected to have on gear vs the resolve your expected to obtain via raid buffs.
  4. Neiloch Well-Known Member

I'm sure players would be more willing to adopt a 'wait and see' attitude if the devs didn't adopt a 'set it and forget it for ~6 months' attitude so frequently.

But so far from what I have seen the only potential problems are
    1. getting newer members into a raid force once that raid force is far long in progression (newer members cant contribute due to less than required resolve)
    2. being forced to downgrade too gain or maintain resolve (which hasn't been shown to be happening on test)
  5. Gninja Developer

I think in all honesty if you look back at how quickly I have addressed raid concerns you will find that to not be true. That is a bit unfair.
    Smallcorners and Xillean like this.
  6. Kham Active Member

You have done well the past 2 expansions with raid concerns i will admit, but this isnt about how this system might effect raids in the gu, its how completely unfair it is to raid guilds with less diversity, or who dont fill. when it gets to the point where the lack of buffs cause a need for higher resolve numbers for gear it is really unfair to those people. it doesnt matter if its by 1 resolve, the fact is a system that allows gated progression based on raid diversity or number of raiders is the problem.
  7. Entropy Well-Known Member

Can we please just scrap this half of the Resolve system, try the item-based Resolve first, get that balanced, and then come back in 9 months or something and readdress this?
  8. Genghes Active Member

I'm looking at this like resists were brought into the equation. I would imaging come Thursday everyone with tot raid gear will be able to kill most t1 encounters, but not t2. The only reason I can think of not having multiple resolve buffs stacking is to prevent fights becoming trivial to soon and make resolve irrelevant. Just gotta wait and see Thursday /shrug
  9. Yards Well-Known Member

I would hope with ToT gear that we have enough resolve to kill all the raid encounters, this is just a content update not a whole new expansion where we are forced to replace all ToT gear.
  10. Gninja Developer

That's the idea.
    Neiloch likes this.
  11. Kham Active Member

I feel like a broken record. This system isnt an issue for gu 100 I assume. The issue is what it causes for raid forces with a lack of diversity or who cant field a full raid every night in the FUTURE. The mechanic of not letting buffs stack within a raid puts less diverse raids in a disadvantage by needing higher amounts of resolve from gear when those thresholds do become relevant. Trying to justify a system which is inherently bias and has the POSSIBILITY of causing lots of problems for lots of raid guilds in the future, just because it doesn't now, is bad practice.
  12. Ratitz Active Member

I lol'd
    Azeren and Neiloch like this.
  13. -Soteria- Well-Known Member

Basically, looking at the numbers on test... it sounds like the required numbers are going to be so low as to be a complete non-issue for the GU100 content. So there is no reason to broken record right now. Wait and see what you think after Thursday, when you can offer meaningful feedback. Your concerns aren't stupid, nor are they being ignored - they're the same things we're all worried about. And maybe they are well founded, and changes will have to be made. I kinda feel like by hanging out here and fielding emo forum posts, Gninja is making a show of good faith that concerns about this are being heard and if it turns out to suck, it'll get tweaked before it really starts to impact us. Doesn't it seem like that to you?
    Cutcha, Mermut, Xianthia and 2 others like this.
  14. Neiloch Well-Known Member

I wasn't talking about you and only you Gninja. Unfortunately most players don't split up problems into discrete partitions giving specific credit to the devs that worked on it. You are, after all, a development TEAM which means you are gonna take lumps from others mistakes. So when there is a problem with Xclass, an item broken or a mechanic acting odd while being unresolved for months their faith in ANYTHING getting fixed promptly goes down.

I personally don't think resolve will introduce many problems, at least for this GU, but the problems it could potentially introduce that players would be upset with are many, evident by this threads length.

Saying that I want to thank you specifically, Gninja, for the hard work you have been doing on raiding and in some cases 'above and beyond' the scope of your usual job.
    Prissetta and Xillean like this.
  15. Kham Active Member

I guess part of the issue is the lack of transparency. What exactly is meant to be acomplished by adding a resolve buff but not letting them stack amongst classes. Is this an effort to promote diversity? there has been 0 communication as to the purpose for any of it. There has been no explanation as to why resolve needs to exist in any other format than on gear in order to act as a means to force people into new gear. Thats really what myself, and others want to know, if there is some kind of good reason to implement something with the the possibility of all the negative outcomes for mentioned.
  16. Nkito Well-Known Member

From reading this thread it sounds as though this partially addresses stacking of particular classes to trivialize content. Whatever the reasons are it's not the resolve idea that is bad, it's just the potential handling of it. I have confidence Gninja and the rest of the team will get it right.

Without knowing ultimate values needed I'm just wondering if allowing 2-4 of the same class to stack would be a more elegant solution.
  17. Anunnaki Active Member

I'm just here wondering how there was this much effort put into a *new* stat when the last new stat, Fervor, is still broken with no acknowledgement whatsoever that it is even being looked at.
  18. Lithinor Member

...again. my usual gripe is with QA /shrug
  19. Kham Active Member

Yes but if the resolve needed is going to be so low that the stacking of multiple classes in a raid to where 8 to 9 resolve buffs do not matter, than a raid force can exploit the use of old items they are trying to hang on to by adding class diversity. nothing good can come about this system as is.
  20. quisling Well-Known Member

Take my word for it....in the software industry, its a common problem...