Player Studio items I've created

Discussion in 'Norrathian Homeshow' started by Rawl, Mar 5, 2013.

1. Rawl Well-Known Member

The feedback I've gotten most has had to do with the repetition of the texture design being too obvious, and the "texture still not holding up in game."

The pole of this one is suppose to be collapsible, and then with the counter weight, the person pushes down and it bring the lamp within reach to fix it or whatever. The poles are suppose to be spring loaded to keep extended, so the cable and the machine are used to compress the pole into it's shortest form. It would be very cool if they actually made it functional. I designed it so it could be animated. But I don't think they will. First I got to get it approved )
    Merriel and Uwkete-of-Crushbone like this.
  2. Uwkete-of-Crushbone Well-Known Member

Still! I could've used these in my Punkapolyse contest entry! :D

I may be getting some more stuff from you along those lines, Rawl; my female crew members in the Battle Balcony definitely want a "Recycling Center," so to speak. ;->

Uwk
    Merriel and Rawl like this.
  3. Merriel Well-Known Member

Hmm and they don't give you any suggestions on how to fix it so the repetition is not so obvious? I would venture to guess that to do that, would end up increasing the polygon count, so I wonder if they even know how you would fix that issue? Perhaps working with a block of tile that is so muted you can't detect any discernible pattern in it, even throughout it's repetition.

The coloring could be marbled like paint swirled to the point of not being able to detect where the 'rock' separates from the 'moss'. I think it would need to be a dark gray that is obviously gray or nearly black but close enough to the mossy green color to be able to achieve this effect. Not only would it give an aged and mossy effect to the sides of the lighthouse, but if there is no obvious pattern to the initial tile, it can be repeated over and over and still give off the desired effect.

(I used an image off Google Images, and distorted it in so many different ways until I finally achieved an effect something like I was looking for. Took me a while but I think you will get the idea of what I mean.) Something like this image :

[IMG]

I think with in game items, the texture might have to be more pronounced, but the pattern itself should not need to be. Such as if you wanted this to look like bricks, the vertical/horizontal indentations would need to be deeper to be able to see them and maybe some shadowing in the indentations to reflect depth. The pattern itself could remain like this or if you wanted to add a more sandstone like texture that would show up in game, you could change the noise level or something.
    Uwkete-of-Crushbone likes this.
  4. Rawl Well-Known Member

I could explain how the texture patterns arise: by stacking UV faces on top of each other, thereby using the same UV texture space for many faces. The deterioration of texture quality happens when the pixel density is so low that instead of seeing the texture image as it is intended, you see little colored squares which define the texture image. It is sort of like those pictures they make where they use hundreds of images to make a picture of someone's face. from a distance, you see the face, but close up, you see the many images used to create the face.

I've asked for suggestions on how I could resolve the issues they want me to address, but they aren't interested in tell people how to do anything. They don't want to take the time to teach us, we are suppose to figure it out on our own. Shadowplay (Neko Zero) offered some suggestions on how I could fix the lighthouses, but I'm currently not interested in pursuing those ideas.

While they are good suggestions, they open another can of worms, so to speak, that doesn't bring me any closer to getting them approved.

So, this is why I am working on a different approach to the lighthouses.
    Uwkete-of-Crushbone and Merriel like this.
  5. Merriel Well-Known Member

Ahh so it is something more complicated than what I had imagined. I guess with such limited staff, it would end up taking much needed time away from them to perform their other tasks, and the bigwigs obviously don't want to pay their staff to teach you what you would probably learn in college if you were to pursue this same line of work, so I kind of understand their reluctance to teach you and their expectations that you learn this on your own.

At least they did provide you with some idea of why they rejected the light houses instead of leaving you hanging, wondering exactly what it is you need to work on, so that you know if it's something you should take time to correct or let the whole thing go. I'm sure you have already put a ton of time into trying to create those light houses, so to have to scratch them completely is probably very annoying to you.

Perhaps sometime in the future, if, or should I say, when you are able to learn what it is you need in order to fix the textures, you can approach them again and it won't be a total loss to you.

Truthfully, I don't think I'd care about obvious repetitions in the texture. I think the lighthouses are beautiful and could see myself using them anyways. I mean, for all our projects, custom made or otherwise, some measure of personal imagination must be utilized in order to see our completed housing projects in their full glory. :)
    Uwkete-of-Crushbone and Rawl like this.
  6. Ocarinah Well-Known Member

Jerry? Was there a pricing mistake on your new items added to marketplace today? The Castle Interior Wooden Open Archway is going for 350 for just one but the older one called Magnificent Castle Wall Archway Bundle is 350 BUT you get 6 of them not just 1. The walls are much more expensive now and no bundles.
  7. Rawl Well-Known Member

They are suppose to be priced the same as the prior ones, that is 6 for 350. I will notify Rick and let him know they need to fix that asap.
  8. Rawl Well-Known Member

Still got a lot of texturing to do on this. Just wanted to show the progress I've made today.
    [IMG]
  9. Rawl Well-Known Member

FYI I sent a Private Message to Rick in the Player Studio Forums. Hopefully they will be able to adjust the pricing and bundling so both sets are the same.
  10. Uwkete-of-Crushbone Well-Known Member

I hope so, because quite frankly, the squared-off archways ROCK!!! :D

Uwk
  11. Rawl Well-Known Member

I'm ready to submit The GnomeWorks Coastal Beacon to Player Studio:
    [IMG]
    chattie, Merriel, Ocarinah and 3 others like this.
  12. Uwkete-of-Crushbone Well-Known Member

Good luck with it! :)

Uwk
  13. Rawl Well-Known Member

If you are looking to build an 8 sided building, you may like to get this roof (if/when it gets added to the marketplace.) I just submitted this to Player Studio

[IMG]
    Kittybock, Ocarinah, Merriel and 2 others like this.
  14. Uwkete-of-Crushbone Well-Known Member

WOOT! Looks good! And useful! :D

Now, if They'd only given us octagonal or (even better!) dodecagonal Rounded Tiles... X-P

Uwk
    Ocarinah, Merriel and Rawl like this.
  15. Merriel Well-Known Member

Awesome roof, Jerry! Of course, I would have expected nothing less, coming from you. :)
  16. Rawl Well-Known Member

Would any of you be interested in buying a Weather Vane something like this? The round part on top will have some cutouts depicting some sort of shape, (dragon head or something else) and the small ones will have cut outs signifying directions (without using letters.)
    [IMG]
  17. Uwkete-of-Crushbone Well-Known Member

Cool! It reminds me, in a way, of those radiometer thingees! :)

Uwk
    Ocarinah, Rawl and Merriel like this.
  18. Ocarinah Well-Known Member

I would love this....dragon on it would be awesome to match those dragon lights you just made would be very very cool! I hope they make it spin too!
    Rawl, Uwkete-of-Crushbone and Merriel like this.
  19. Rawl Well-Known Member

This is the start of the texturing. can you tell what the symbols represent? Take a guess and let me know what you think they mean. (I may change the dragon head image not sure yet though.)

[IMG]
  20. Uwkete-of-Crushbone Well-Known Member

Hmm! I'm guessing: West, East, South, North? ;->

Or, it could be that since it looks like it could be Sunset (sun image with a down arrow) and Sunrise, the two on the right could be West/East, but then I'm not sure which would be which on the two on the left...winds blowing down from the North or up from the South? :-/

Uwk
    Kittybock, Ocarinah and Merriel like this.