SOE Can we get Back to great exp through Questing???

Discussion in 'General Gameplay Discussion' started by Ladymist, Feb 7, 2013.

1. Ladymist Well-Known Member

I have to say, once upon a time it actually was quicker to level via quests. And i proved it to the nay sayers. It feels like since dov its now easier to just grind on mobs..the sad thing is its off mobs in Older zones.

I don't know about others, but it was A Lot more fun to do quests then kill 300 goblins orcs and variations of pre existing mobs Your game would be enjoyed more if people didnt go to bed dreaming of hordes of mobs to kill

Also because of botting, multi boxing and over population ( on my main server anyway) these old dungeon are even becoming difficult to grind with racing to the next set of untouched mobs
    Kranker, Mycenia, Nynaeve and 2 others like this.
  2. ColbyJack Well-Known Member

The issues with contested dungeons... well, you can thank all those people that screamed and cried for nerfs to respawning mobs in instanced dungeons, and screamed and cried for nerfs to the dungeonmaker powerleveling. All it does is forces those powerlevelers into contested areas where they do they same thing they would have done without bothering a soul had it not been nerfed.

That aside, I thoroughly agree that I'm sad it's becoming more efficient and feasable to simply mindlessly grind stuff. I don't care if other people want to go haywire and aoe every living thing, but there was no good reason to nerf down the quest experience. It seems like, since TSO at least, the higher in levels you go, the less it's recommended to quest.
    Kranker, Mycenia, Nynaeve and 3 others like this.
  3. Foretold Well-Known Member

I think only one of my toons did the Skyshrine area quests, and I wouldn't have done a single CoE quest if it hadn't been for the signature line. There is just no reward there, xp or otherwise.
  4. ColbyJack Well-Known Member

I STILL haven't done any of the Skyshrine quests.
    Wait, no... I think I did like the very first one, where you kill 5 mobs from each area.
  5. Elostirion Well-Known Member

People complained in the good old days of Kunark that solo questing was the best way to level.

To every complaint, turn, turn, turn there is an expac, turn turn turn, and a time for every bug under the code...
    Wirewhisker and Cloudrat like this.
  6. CoLD MeTaL Well-Known Member

On test i was leveling a character, mainly through questing because there are only 14 people on the server usually.

It is SO easy to see, I hit 70 and XP went to a crawl, while the raid guild there was power leveling a person up in hours. QUEST XP Should be 50 times what it currently is.
  7. Foretold Well-Known Member

Do you know why I did the Skyshrine quests on one toon? Because it was that month where Ethereals were dropping off everything in the area. I spent a day doing all the quests since I was killing mobs anyway. Didn't get an Ethereal. Never bothered to do them again.

So there is the only reward that made me even consider doing quests in SS.
  8. Kraeref Well-Known Member

Kunark is by far my favorite. So many quests to do to gain factions with many races. I miss this kind of expansion. Nothing against SF or DOV1 but Kunark was a blast.
    Mycenia and Guiscard like this.
  9. Avirodar Well-Known Member

It is great that you love doing hundreds of quests. I do not, because most of the quests in EQ2 are little more than "kill 10 rats" quests.

In RoK and TSO, I went to bed dreaming of merciless, sadistic villains, who sent me on quests to kill 10 <insert token species_A>. Upon return, I was awarded a token amount of EXP, before being asked to kill 10 <insert token species_B>. A never ending nightmare.

What seemed like the light at the end of the tunnel, only to be a dream crusher, were the quests that sent you to a distant corner of the zone, to click a rock/banner/bookshelf/corpse, then have me run all the way back. I could barely contain my excitement every time I got one of those quests, especially when the quest required doing the run 10 times over...

I am grateful that SOE has steered away from making solo questing the most lucrative means of leveling.
    Cisteros likes this.
  10. Sclerotia Member

I noticed that seance I hit lvl 80 it has started slowing down. At lvl87 I started my mythical weapon quest, some one suggested it as the next step. I was at 87 +95.6% so almost at 88, lots of quests and lots of killing mobs all day and I end at 88 +12.6% and that was with a 200% vitality bonus. I have never seen it move so slow. Should I wait for a double XP weekend, make sure I have a 200% vitality bonus, and pop a 200% XP potion I have?

Personally I agree with the original post, they need to up the XP on the quests.
    Guiscard likes this.
  11. Snowhaze Active Member

I feel in completing the Signature quest in CoE, you should have been taken from 92 to 95, the questing xp rewards are too low. I think I finished just into 94 and I took many breaks from the quest line to do other old world things, which also got me xp.

The time involved is MUCH longer questing than grinding older zones AND you end up with a LOT less xp when you are done with the sig line. Many people were reporting grinding taking a few hours and the quest line taking 12+, so almost 3-4x the effort.

For example, in CoE, they should have started by determining how much xp is required to get from 92 to 95. Once they had the amount of quests finalized, divide the total amount needed by the amount of quests, from there they can tweak it in little bits reducing some of the easier/quicker quests, or quests that involved a lot of killing (since you would be getting xp from killing mobs) and maybe adding xp to those quests that were major achievements.

If for some reason, you didn't reach 95 by the end, the last quest should reward just enough to push you there. How cool would it be to finish and ding 95 at the same time. The benefit of completing the quests is that you get quested gear and the unlocks. The benefit of grinding is that you finish in around a 1/3-1/4 of the time it takes to quest.
    Mycenia, Guiscard and Tekadeo like this.
  12. Grumble69 Member

It's been a problem for years. There have been scores of threads in the main forums. In every expansion going back to SF, even the beta forums have complained that the xp is too low. They know full well about the disparity and have had an ample chance to correct it. There have been a few tweaks to AAs, but quest xp has never been touched. The real question is why not? I've come to the conclusion that vitality potions and second PL accounts are one of SOE's moneymakers. And if quest xp was on par with grinding mobs, they would lose a significant amount of money.
    Fetish and Estred like this.
  13. Estred Well-Known Member

And while they are at it can we have more Overland Quests that aren't tied to the Signature? What happened to like KoS and Kunark where there were 2-4 Quest Hubs each sporting a 20-30 Quest line?

Grinding should be an option but not necessarily better than Questing.
    Tekadeo and Guiscard like this.
  14. Meaghan Stormfire Well-Known Member

Personally I'd like to see more exp from quests, even though I hate them and wouldn't do them anyway. I would simply like it for the seflish reason of not having to P/L people through crap to get them current when I could actually be doing current content myself.
    Fetish and Guiscard like this.
  15. Atan Well-Known Member

All other experience methods aside, quests are grossly under-rewarding. You spend 15-20 mins of your time doing some quest, you should get more than .3% xp for it. You should see sizable gains for time invested.
    Guiscard likes this.
  16. Davngr Well-Known Member

as long as both adventure grind and quest grind reward about the same exp everyone will be happy.

but how knows .. maybe getting these to be even is difficult?

also.. would love if there was some type of experience bar that never actually leveled and you could only gain experience to it once you where capped. make it give you fluff stuff depending on how much experience you get on it.

so that even if you're at max level doing the quest or going adventure dungeon hunting you're still getting that feeling that there is purpose beyond the gear. i personally would love this and pretty sure most would not mind it.
  17. Atan Well-Known Member

Its not a bad idea, I've always felt at the _very_ least overcap xp from quests should overflow to additional coin.
  18. Elostirion Well-Known Member

No no. There's too much coin around as it is. Some fluff thing- fine. but not coin. Maybe some additional currency type like dungeon marks 2.0 or whatever that you can buy stuff from a store with it. Maybe it automatically converts into whatever the current event is- erolosi coins, frostfell coins, or city marks when nothing is active. Just not plat.
  19. Atan Well-Known Member

So, its ok to grind PR for coin, but the idea of doing quests for coin in everquest is bad? Seems, um odd.
    Guiscard, Debbani and Tekadeo like this.
  20. Elostirion Well-Known Member

Nice strawman there. I didnt say anything about PR.