SOE Can we get Back to great exp through Questing???

Discussion in 'General Gameplay Discussion' started by Ladymist, Feb 7, 2013.

1. Tommara Active Member

Back on topic though, I agree with the OP to the extent that COE should have had enough quest exp to get a player who met the minimum requirements to even do the COE quests should have been able to reach max level by doing the COE quests. That's pretty much a given.

My biggest complaint about the COE solo quests is that people are barred from doing them unless they are level 92, regardless of whether or not they could do them, and barred from reaching 92 unless they have 280 AA. I haven't seen that kind of gating since playing 8-bit console games. I'm guessing the new devs are so new that they don't realize that gating like that has been done before and don't know it doesn't work.

Edited Note: i.e., don't block me from doing quests because of arbitrary levels. If try to do quests in area that I can't do, that's my problem.
    Tekadeo, Sclerotia and Guiscard like this.
  2. Nynaeve Active Member

COE overland quest should give like 4 times the XP of currently, but they also should make overland questing a bit more challenging. it's quite boring right now actually. too easy.
    Mycenia, Kalderon and Guiscard like this.
  3. Kalderon Well-Known Member

Hold on, i didn´t say i build a grp and then go ahead and xping, well depends on what char i try to level ^^. I normaly grab a guildmate, which is alldays around and we start to pulling through SS open, if someone shows up and needs group he gets in there with us. Thus makes us, probably, faster in killing mobs and this makes us faster then soloing.
    But even with a sum of wait time, if you can kill a mob half time then it would take solo, it will sum up on a duration of 1-2 hours.... yeah it is no that correct of math, but it could take 2 hours solo instead of 1 hour grouping.
    CoE overlandquests.... they could remove the xp from there, i would not notice ^^
  4. R.J. MacReady Active Member

Let's not forget your developer has made finding a real group even harder now that they sell you a friend to go hunting with.
  5. Guiscard Active Member

That's because they give very little XP and you get more XP going to older zones -- COE XP is so low you can't find it.
    Kalderon likes this.
  6. Kalderon Well-Known Member

Yep, lets go back to the old days, where a small quest could give you 10% xp. But i guess it was intended to strech the whole content a bit..... blind guess tho.
    I mean, they probably give same amount of xp (point wise) but as you need a huge chunk more, it shows at little to no % gain.
  7. Atan Well-Known Member

The issue is, if 10 minutes to do a quest doesn't reward the same (or better) xp of say 10 minutes of grinding mobs in SS, the perceived value of questing is poop for xp.

I hate to even bring that up, cause it seems SoE's answer would be to nerf other forms of xp rather than make the rewards from quests significant or desirable. The only way they've shown to make questing 'desirable' was to lock the entire expansion behind a signature quest...

Needless to say I do not like the direction they've been going with questing in the game. But just com pairing the relative reward I get in other games from questing vs what I get in EQ2, and then the amount of penalization I get in EQ2 for not questing, makes EQ2 less fun to play.
    Guiscard likes this.
  8. Luceus Member

I love that grinding in SS is a viable option, as not only are the gains quick, but you have a chance for solid loot. Hopefully with all that is said in the thread, the devs first reaction won't be to simply nerf to xp there to force people to quest.

That's not what we're looking for...

At this stage in the game, I think people are looking for more than SS grind groups or solo grinding through a crowded sebilis (a dungeon that is years old, sadly enough). Questing used to be a viable option, and I think people just want that to return. If you can't get a grind group, should people be forced to gain XP at like 1/10th of the rate by running solo quests?

Bump up the XP rewards for solo quests without nerfing anything would be the best solution.
    Guiscard likes this.
  9. Elostirion Well-Known Member

Um, why?

I agree that solo quests have been shafted in the reward category, but this would be too much pendulum swing the other way. Quests are only one part of the game. Why should you be guaranteed to rise to the new cap by just doing one part of the game?
  10. Grumble69 Member

Because many hours questing in the new content should be at least as rewarding as a couple of hours grinding in old content.
    Guiscard likes this.
  11. Elostirion Well-Known Member

But a couple hours grinding in old content with 6 people is 12 person-hours. Did it take 12 hours to run through the CoE quests? Actually yes :) so we're close. Add in the fact that solo quests can be done whenever you feel like it and groups take logistics...and now we're closer.

Again, I agree that solo quests should be more, but still- the statement by Tommara is too simple, and so is Grumble's. Doing one sector of the game shouldnt get you to max level automagically, and grouping should be more rewarding than soloing.
  12. Atan Well-Known Member

My only complaint here was being forced to do the sig quest cause all the real content was locked behind it =/. If that had been a heroic sig quest, I'd have felt very differently, but thats just my personal bias.
    Guiscard likes this.
  13. Tekadeo Active Member

1-some people only like to play solo
    2-the coe content might have been doable by us raiders at 92, but it is aimed at 95's. Esp now, you arent allowing a 92 in a group zone unless they are a guildie/friend.
    3-the money/gear rewards were worthless (except the cloak), so why else do them besides the artificial access barrier
    4-What/who does it hurt?

#4 is my biggest issue. Why are so many getting upset over this issue? No one would be forcing you to do quests. There just has to be a balance between them. I would recommend less quests with more worthwhile rewards. As far as people grinding SS to 95, sure that took like an hour or two. You didn't do it for fun, you did it because you "had to." If you quested for 2 hours in Eidolon Jungle you'd be at like 92.5. It's a freaking joke and there is no excuse for arguing over it.
  14. Elostirion Well-Known Member

Re 1: Um, again, why? Why is that an excuse? Some people only like to decorate. Great for them. They dont get to be a 95 adventurer for doing just that.
    Re 2: Actually I did the CoE quests on my alt who isnt raid geared and was 92 at the time. The content is just fine at that level.
    Re 3: I agree.
    Re 4: Not sure what you're talking about. So I'll just give a generalist stab... it hurts when the entitlement culture is reinforced? when people expect to be rewarded with maximum whatever just for doing one little thing they like best out of the menu? There's lots to do in this game, and lots of people to do it with. Have some fun and try something new.

Also...why do you think I'm upset? Or anyone else in this thread? It's been refreshingly civil in here.
  15. Guiscard Active Member

I think this is the biggest design flaw in COE -- they should not have locked up content behind the Signature quest. The reason I think they did it was to make COE appear a bigger expansion than it really is.

Honestly it is a very tiny expansion - 2 tiny overland zones and a handful of dungeons. Hardly worth paying for. But I don't think they wanted the bulk of the player base to run through it so they blocked the overland zones by a signature quest, level, and AA. I think they shot themselves in the foot and I suspect a lot of players maybe unwilling to buy another XPAC for this game after COE. I think overall COE has hurt the game a lot.
  16. Tekadeo Active Member

Your level of reading comprehension made me lol tho.
  17. Elostirion Well-Known Member

You're going waaaay out of your way to take offense and be obtuse. Enjoy.
  18. Sixgauge Well-Known Member

Because if soloing is equally rewarding as grouping, and soloing is much easier, most people will solo, and no one will find groups. It's already impossible before 92 on the busiest servers in the game.
    Kalderon likes this.
  19. mague Active Member

I play solo because i play at odd hours and i am old and groups usually are to much in a rush for me :p I know the game since soul recovery where no solo content outside the cities existed.

90-95 are not bad designed so far. Items are good. Most solo instances are fun. The only problem is, that XP is not enought to reach 94 to progress on Obol plains. I would have been better if i had to grind 1.5 levels AFTER the signature. However, it took me just a week doing old signatures, HQ, older heroic quests and like 80 plat for collections to get from 92.5 to 94. As it looks now i ll be 95 when done with Drinals signature. Past that the only problem are the essences...

Due to time restrictions i gave up on all alts. I d like to keep main and one alt but...
    I can imagine that it is a bit tedious to keep lots of alts up to date by doing the same signature over and over.
  20. Kalderon Well-Known Member

Why not give a 5% bonus to each member of the group ^^ well, would not happen, leveling is still way to fast, but, would be a solution.