Zones Question

Discussion in 'The Newbie Zone' started by Draven165, Oct 19, 2016.

1. Draven165 New Member

Ok my veterans i have a somewhat silly question regarding zones. More so regarding factions. Last night I tried to be adventurous and headed out to Firiona Vie so i could work my way through the Lake of Ill Omen to get to West Cabilis however right before I got to the zone i was attacked by some Iksar who one shot me.

My question(s) are this. After that ordeal I just went back to the old area I was previously in Blightfire and noticed when I started killing some of the Bee People (sorry cant recall their names) I started losing faction with them.

Q1. When you are out farming mobs how much does this faction change affect the overall game play?
    Q2. Should I not be killing these Bee People since they do not attack me on sight?
    Q3. How do you know who you should or should not kill?

Appreciate anyone elses thoughts on this.
  2. Nural Toxxin New Member

was it a named iksar? I know there is a high level iksar necro(iirc) that sits near the water between FV and LOIO,may hve been you got unlucky
  3. Wuddane Elder

For a vast majority of the game faction really is irrelevant. There are some old world quests that could be hindered by negative faction, but through some research you can find what mobs to kill to gain that faction back.

So

Q1: It doesn't really
    Q2: Slaughter away! That particular faction is probably just there so as you kill and lose faction, it becomes slightly more dangerous to move around that area.
    Q3: Without years of experience or doing a massive amount of research, you don't really. But like I said, this is mostly pertinent to old world zones. As you level and obtain better gear, those rewards from old world quests become obsolete (which for the most part they already are, considering defiant drops). I doubt many players complete many (if any) outside of their original epic quests.

Edit to add : Home cities (aside from Crescent Reach and Shar Vahl) are in the old world, and that is part of where faction matters. If you are not an iksar, you will be killed on sight in Cabilis unless you spend a good chunk of time increasing your faction with them. Evil races are kill on sight in good race cities, and vice versa. Iksar are the exception where everyone is kill on sight except iksar. But really there is no reason to visit the cities you have bad faction with at your level. When trying to buy and sell, stick to the ones that won't kill you. If you want to just see the city, you can explore while invisible, or just make a new character of that race to run around and see it.
  4. Diptera Augur

If you're worried about it, check alla's for the mob you're thinking about killing, it will show you the factions affected, and then click on the faction to see if you can recover the faction.

E.g. looking at "a conscripted miner" in Shard's Landing: http://everquest.allakhazam.com/db/npc.html?id=41387

This shows (right at the bottom of the page) that Factions Decreased are "The Conscripted".
    Clicking on that link: http://everquest.allakhazam.com/db/faction.html?faction=607 lists ways to both raise and lower that faction (in this case, it's only by killing mobs, some factions can be affected by various quests).

In general, as Wuddane said, once you get away from the old world zones, faction doesn't matter much any more.