XP question

Discussion in 'The Newbie Zone' started by doea, May 27, 2014.

1. doea New Member

Could someone go over the XP gain if there is a player with merc, 2 players with two mercs, and 3 players with 3 mercs.
    Is there a benefit with more players in group?
    Thanks!
  2. Yther Augur

Assuming all equal, then pure numbers say, a full group is better (bonus for full group), and more real people is better (bonus for each real person, no bonus for mercs, other than making a full group).

The details of each person and/or merc and mix of classes will alter this, of course.

Yther Ore.
  3. Rauven Augur

This is the old way of how exp works:

1 Player (solo) = 100% exp
    2 Players = 120% exp (60% each)
    3 Players = 140% exp (46.67% each)
    4 Players = 160% exp (40% each)
    5 Players = 180% exp (36% each)
    6 Players = 180% exp (36% each, sixth player doesn't count towards split, so its like everyone gets a bonus 6% added)

However its different now. The above is what I believe mercs give. Real Players give a higher bonus. I could be wrong on this but it feels about right.
  4. Fenudir Augur

As I understand it this break down still works. How mercs change the scenario is that they add to the player count without adding to the bonus.

For example, if you have two players and two mercs, the system treats your group as if it had four players for the split but only gives you the two player (120%) bonus and not the four player (160%) boonus.
  5. Rauven Augur

That's what I thought at first. But I've heard rumor of them giving the old bonus (what I listed) and Players just giving even more. Like I said I could be wrong. But I don't know, cause I know when I Molo with my merc, I get a little more than just half.
  6. Tatanka Joe Schmo

I had read the same thing Rauven's referring to, back when they made the changes (several years now). The chart above is how it works with mercs, and for all real players, it's even better, though, as far as I know, they've never published the exact details.

Tat
  7. doea New Member

Thanks guys! So each player in a 2 player group gets better experience than each player in a 3 player group- 60% of normal per player vs. 46.67%?
    BJ
  8. Diptera Augur

The other thing to factor in is the rate at which you can kill mobs - the individual split may not be as good on a per-kill basis, but you should be able to kill mobs at a faster rate.
    Using the table from Rauven and adding in a "rate of kill" factor, it works out that as long as the 3-group kills 1.3x as many mobs as the 2-group in the same time interval, xp should be the same.
  9. chaoz_sk Journeyman

Quatr likes this.
  10. Rauven Augur

I remember the 2003 changes.. was still playing in those days. But the changes in 2010 I think I barely missed. But thanks for the confirmation.
  11. roth Augur

As far as I know ...

1 person in group = 0 bonus = 100% of the kill
    2 people in group = 20% bonus = 120% of the kill, split up = 60% per person
    3 people in group = 40% bonus = 140% of the kill, split up = 46.67% per person
    4 people in group = 60% bonus = 160% of the kill, split up = 40% per person
    5 people in group = 80% bonus = 180% of the kill, split up = 36% per person
    6 people in the group looks just like 5, with the sixth share appearing magically out of thin air.

That is how it works for players.

Mercs change things somewhat.

1 person in group = 0 bonus = 100% of the kill
    1 person + 1 merc = 0 bonus = 100% of the kill, split up = 50% of the kill for the molo'er
    2 people in group = 20% bonus = 120% of the kill, split up = 60% per person
    2 people + 1 merc = 20% bonus = 120% of the kill, split up = 40% per person
    2 people + 2 mercs = 20% bonus = 120% of the kill, split up = 30% per person
    3 people in group = 40% bonus = 140% of the kill, split up = 46.67% per person
    3 people + 1 merc = 40% bonus = 140% of the kill, split up = 35% per person
    3 people + 2 mercs = 40% bonus = 140% of the kill, split up = 28% per person
    3 people + 3 mercs looks just like 3 people 2 mercs.
    4 people = 60% bonus = 160% of the kill, split up = 40% per person
    4 people + 1 merc = 60% bonus = 160% of the kill, split up = 32% per person
    4 people + 2 mercs looks just like 4 people 1 merc
    5 people and 5 people + 1 merc look alike
    6 people grouped together cannot have a merc out

If you notice the pattern, mercs do NOT count for the grouping bonus, but DO take a share of the exp. However, that sixth share is still magically created out of thin air. So popping a merc for the sixth slot is always a good idea (from an exp/kill perspective).