Worth it? A Krono..

Discussion in 'The Newbie Zone' started by Mokumara, Jun 3, 2018.

1. Mokumara Elder

Hey guys!

So I have a quick question. Is it worth it to burn a Krono while leveling a character?

My end game is to have a Trio: Shadow Knight, Magician, Enchanter

The Shadow Knight is 98, the Enchanter is 86, and the Mage is 58. I'm currently leveling the Mage up so he is able to group with the SK and I will most likely swarm him up to like 80+ probably pretty quick. I will have all 3 accounts Full Access once the group is assembled, but do you guys think it would be worth to burn a Krono to make the leveling faster or easier? Or would you just wait till the group is all around 85+ then go Full Access? Does it really make THAT big of a difference??
  2. Zhaunil_AB Augur

"worth it" is so relative...
    In theory, for pure leveling (especially powerleveling) and from an economical point of view, no.
    You gain levels just as fast with F2P as with a paid sub.

However, i would not start a new character anymore that is not created AFTER the account is gold.
    Simple reason for that is that in MY eyes, CR just plain sucks - i want my chars to be based in the old starting cities.
    Also, for anyone that is not getting powerleveled, the ability to use J mercs might be a tipping point; while it's entirely possible to go without, the use of them makes getting through the first 50-60 levels easier+faster.

The level 85 you mention does not make too much sense in that context either, even less so with a tank that is already level98.
    I for my part can level chars right up to max level without worrying about their gear at all, or keeping it to the non-prestige T1 stuff; so can you, at least up or close to your own level (e.g. level 92 in the given case).
  3. slayerofbats Augur

Just keep going and only sub once you hit a wall and it gets too hard.

I subbed my tank at level 90 ish because he only had a few AA's and the sub gave him 3000+ which helped a bit. But in hindsight I probably wouldn't have bothered because his gear is all that really matters. With weak gear he still sucked even with 3000 AAs. Once I got him decent gear like Rustic, he became a lot stronger so I think he would have been fine with that and no AAs. The others don't matter at all so I leave them free to play.

But playing with mercs changes things. The F2P mercs are really weak but if I am only using them for dps, I don't mind. If I am using them as a healer, then the Silver account merc is the lowest I would go, preferably a subbed healer merc. But plenty of people get by with F2P healer merc.

I think doing solo content and questing is so easy that it doesn't really matter. But if you want to do some tougher group content and/or tougher dungeons at appropriate levels, then it is worth having a decent healer merc. But if you can get by with f2p healer mercs then just keep going.
    CatsPaws likes this.
  4. Gialana Augur

If you are considering buying a krono from DBG with the intention of consuming it on one of your accounts, you will probably find it's cheaper to just start a membership with monthly renewal. As long as you cancel the membership before the next payment is scheduled, you won't be billed for a second month. You also don't lose All Access the moment you unsubscribe; you only lose it when the account would have auto renewed.
    Sagarmatha likes this.
  5. Sagarmatha Augur

Also, don't forget to claim your 500 station cash before you cancel.
  6. Mokumara Elder

That is a great point thank you! I honestly didn't even think about just subbing with my card. I have 10 Krono's sitting on my main account back from when I bought and sold them on Phinny server, but quit after that and just saved them. I've been leveling up my mage. I got him to level 60 and realized he would get xp with my 85 Enc so I've had them grouped in the loping plane and just raking in XP for the mage. A couple more levels and he will get xp with the 98 SK and will prob be able to push them both to around 90. Then I will probably go full access for the auto-grant and go from there. Thanks for the input though guys. Much appreciated!!!!
  7. Treiln Augur

Save your Kronos my friend. I also run a SK/Chanter/Mage trio, and it’s a power house.

My advice, get the SK on all access (via monthly sub or Krono). The gear/AA will make it soooo worth it, as well as making your life easier. And get your SK to 101 for the new gear/spells. Plus getting your Mage to 71 to group with your SK (as opposed to only 68), is only a couple hour difference.

For the Chanter/Mage - leave them F2P. Rank 1 spells and non-prestige group/currency gear is more than plenty for them. Once they get closer to your SK in levels (90ish), then maybe drop a Krono a piece on them to get all those free auto-granted AAs. From there, choose your path
  8. code-zero Augur

I have no idea why anyone would choose any starting zone except CR in the modern game. The experience is better, there's tons of quests to do and excellent gear to be had. Aside from some nostalgia for irrelevant lore there's very little in the old zones worth going back for.

Now back to the OP, until it's time to get AA's being all access isn't as valuable. The Journeyman mercs are much better though and can get most classes up into the high 60's at the very least
  9. Mokumara Elder

Thank you for the response man! I think the final decision was to keep grinding until the Mage/Enc are 85 or 90 then I'll sub them. As what you said only really the merc will be the most helpful. Plus once 85 I can push for T5 merc. :D
  10. Aurastrider Augur

For me personally my time is more important than the couple of bucks I would save. With that being said I also don't like throwing my money into a black hole just because. If you can currently PL your characters with your SK at a reasonable rate being ftp than stick to being ftp. If you find it to be rather slow or sketchy at times trying to keep your sk upright I might consider going all access on him to speed up the process. Your own financial situation obviously will dictate things in the end and so what might make sense for me might not make any sense for you.

If you do decide to buy a krono I might suggest an alternative to using it on your sk and that is finding someone to PL your sk to 110 or as far as it will take you and then sub him. As long as you can get your other two toons to level 80 you will be able to group with your sk. Being 110 with a full set of conflagrant gear should push you around the 200k HP and 5k AC mark or higher depending on your AA's and augs. That huge boost in stats will significantly speed up the process of leveling your other two toons as you should be able to kill mobs that are red to them at all times until the level gap closes. I know from personal experience that once you get one maxed level toon who can mass kill being able to create an army is easy. Its just getting that first toon there that can be a pain.
    Mokumara likes this.
  11. Mokumara Elder

That's a really good point! Thanks Aurastrider.
  12. Sam Hyde "You're" on ignore

You burn a krono when you know you'll be over L100 within the 30 days. That is currently the last level in which you get autogrant AAs. Maximum cost effectiveness. That's how I level alts.
    moogs and Xianzu_Monk_Tunare like this.
  13. Xianzu_Monk_Tunare Augur

As to the OP, only go with a Krono if you intend to buy it with plat or items in trade from other players.
    I would go a step further and suggest getting to 100 at least with the SK and have the other two as close as you can if you plan to sub them all at the same time. This will allow you to auto-grant almost all of the AAs available to those characters at that point. Currently, AAs from TDS and later (mostly level 101 and higher) AAs will not be auto-granted. You will be able to get all of those AAs and keep access to them even when your subscription lapses. The reason why I say to get 100 on the SK before the Krono is so that if you hit 101 before the end of the month you will be able to buy some of the AAs as well.

You can go to CR and do all of the quests and gear without having it has your starting city. There are several of the other starting cities which have origin locations which are more beneficial than that of CR (Human Monks in NQ for example); there are also ones with worse ones (Dark Elf classes which start in Neriak Third Gate).

In the long term the placement of your origin relative to the pok book is what makes a lot of the zones better than CR and others worse. Everything else in CR that would be used later in the game can typically be found in PoK as well, with only a few exceptions.