Wizard - Cloudburst Stormstrike and the Counters Effect.

Discussion in 'Casters' started by Manaelil, Jun 8, 2015.

1. Silentchaos Augur

If your enchanter is busy CCing, runeing, etc and tossing out a nuke every once in awhile its probably worth it to cast burst. If he's doing nothing but nuking it's not.
  2. Ravengloome Augur

Pre nerf Haze you basically only wanted to cast Ethereals. I tested it quite a bit and that's what I found. Claw between procs.
    Sancus and Axxius like this.
  3. Axxius Augur

Magmatic Burst is a situational alternative/addition to the ethereals. It looks good on paper and should work very well, but only when the situation allows. Including it into recommended nuke rotations, especially for new players asking for advice, feels a bit premature. In most of the current raid content, as well as in a lot of group content, it's a bad idea to cast rains. I'd label it with "use at your own risk and only when you are really sure that it's safe".
    Sancus likes this.
  4. Ravengloome Augur

I agree. I use it quite a bit in group content. Between Burst/Claw and Ethereals. I don't cloud burst much. It burns through counters to fast for too little effect, my overall sustained usually drops 5 to 7k with it in rotation.

But I disc everytime they are up so that may affect my results.
    Sancus likes this.
  5. Jiggs Elder

While raiding if you have both a bard and a chanter ---

If the bard uses Fierce Eye while Illusions of Grandeur is going.... the bard will overwrite Illusions and make the chanter very angry. :)

Oh, and your burn will suffer drastically.

Also, assuming if you have a bard you are using the Improved Familiar (green flappy). Circle of Power clicky conflicts with Improved familiar. (you should buff block CoP and the effect)

If you have a bard they are good for Aria (song) and aggressive use of their epic.

Chanters bring much more to the table for wizards than bards in todays game. Bards are better utilized in other groups.
    Marton likes this.
  6. Manaelil Elder

The odd thing is I ran parses with just PD and with no discs and in both cases using cloudburst raised the dps by quite a bit. The only time this clearly wasn't the case was when improved twincast was running. I may run these tests again but I think for every scenario outside of improved twincast cloudburst is a great spell to use.
  7. Ravengloome Augur

And how long was this parse? I am talking across afew hours (my normal amount of time grinding)

Cloudburst consistently was less DPS.

Keep in mind in the type of scenario I am talking about, a group grinding at a moderate to decent pace for hours at a time.

In a scenario like that Magmatic Burst/Scintillating Beam and Ethereals/claw are vastly superior.

Cloudburst is great, if the mob will die before i can land an ethereal.
  8. Apoc Augur

Kerafyrm should be used when a bard is in your group anyway since they havn't scaled the bard aria as fast as it should be scaling. Kerafyrm has a higher average. Also i forgot to mention that fierce eye is still good to use on the 11.5 mins of cool down on your enchanters IoG since it is up 2 mins out of 13.5 mins. Even if Fierce eye is up IoG will also overwrite it so it is really your bards fault if they aren't making sure IoG isn't up when they click fierce.
  9. Apoc Augur

Just like every other spell cloudburst has it's place. Cloudburst is great if you are in a raid where you can stand still i tend to use is sometimes whenever i have fury of kerafyrm up mostly. I tend to use Flashchar when i have fury of ro up and even sometimes during kerafyrm if i need to move around a lot during an event. I rarely use cloudburst during PD unless i think the event will be over before PD runs out. I tend to just rotate claw and ethereal with pd up during the beginning phases of an event because i can keep high dps going for a longer period of time without much loss especially if you get a few twincast procs.
    Sancus likes this.
  10. Ravengloome Augur

^ Exactly what i am saying.

Its pretty hard to say hardline: XYZ spell is the best spell for ABC class.

Theres alot of different applications, There isn't a hardline binary Do this, Don't do that, for any of the classes.
    Sancus likes this.
  11. Brohg Augur

Flashchar sobad
  12. Apoc Augur

You've obviously never soloed or raided a wizard.
  13. Brohg Augur

It's true I've never been enamored with kiting, but when I do it I just get one step more clearance and use a real spell. It's stupid that Fury of Ro + Argin-Hiz sash doesn't make it match damage to Cloudburst. You just have to really want something instant to use it, imo.
  14. Naugrin Augur

Personally I love flashchar when kiting (which is when I'm using pyromancy as well).
  15. Beimeith Lord of the Game

This whole thread makes me lol.
  16. Brohg Augur

Since I'm not in the mood to lol I should read your thread about TDS spell orders, ya?
  17. Manaelil Elder

Basically the parses that I ran were for the duration of prolonged destruction so 40 counters. I did this many times though to verify the results. I also ran them for arcane destruction and calculated the same equation that I did for improved twincast. In order to find the proper usage for a spell you need to test it in different controlled environments. In eq that means parsing with different spell orders and disc combinations so I used PD with the same two spell orders that I used to test whether cloudburst was useful during improved twincast or not.

This was before I started splitting up my log files and recording everything so I don't really remember anything but the results.

A big downside to cloudburst is that it uses more mana per second than an ethereal spell does. That might be why you lost dps over a long period of time.

Rk III cloudburst
    Mana: 3080
    Duration: GCD or 1.5-1.8s so
    Mana/second: 1711-2053

Ethereal Skyblaze
    Mana: 5158
    Duration: GCD + 1.9s = 3.4-3.7s
    Mana/Second: 1394-1517
  18. Manaelil Elder

I thought about what you said and using forces back to back might really be a bad idea. When you do cast two forces back to back you lose 0.5s.

This pic has some mistakes in it but it should illustrate what I'm saying.

https://imgur.com/hxRlBJ7

It shows that a time delay is introduced when forces are used back to back instead of in between spells. The calculations done also show the damage you can expect to lose by not casting the forces back to back. So far it looks like gaining 1s of time by sandwiching them leads to more dps than casting them back to back.

When sandwiching it introduces a maximum timing delay of 3.7 seconds for the cooldown of the second force. 3.7/20 *100.92 is 18.67k damage lost if two forces are sandwiched. Since you gain .5 seconds though it seems to be worth it as long as you do more than 37.34k dps.
  19. Ferry-Tunare Augur

By putitng my AA nuke hotkey at the end of my multibind it is only used between casts of my regular spells (since they're unavailable).
  20. Ravengloome Augur

Yeh I already knew that. That's why using cloud burst over long durations in s spam key results in lower DPS. IF you have a bard feeding you mana regen and use lost secrets you might be able to get away with cloud burst outside of discs. But in the scenario I proposed earlier there are better choices.