Wizard agro in POP raids (Agnarr)

Discussion in 'Time Locked Progression Servers' started by Montag, Apr 4, 2021.

1. Vicus Augur

Playing a wizard is a science and defeating the melee or being in the top 5 consistently is not hard as long as your raid team isn't being lazy and work as a team! Enchanters have a de-aggro spell line that need to be on wizards (or your top caster dps) and SK's get a 10% buff that last for 10 minutes that need to be on EVERY warrior/main tank that is fighting the raid target. Increasing the aggro gap with 20% buffer really helps for casters to push out more damage to the raid target.

The 10% SK buff just helps the raid as it helps prevent any needless deaths. It should be on the MT and whoever is on rampage/#2 so will make swapping easier if the MT die.

Also need to know the fights to include how fast your raid DPS is. If you know that the fight is only 4 minutes and not 10, you change your approach on what you are casting. Knowing if you are going toe to toe with one of your lesser geared tanked or the tank with the best aggro gear (especially early in an expansion as people are hunting BiS items). Wizard is all about flow and other classes doing their job. If everyone is working as a team then raid DPS can rocket up and targets go down faster...or people can just depend on melee to much and take longer to kill things.

When I am #1 on the meters I always praise my SK's/Chanter/Mages (rods)/necros (mindwrack) because it takes the team to push everyone together. Just like Bards and Shaman make melee look beast.

Good Luck
  2. HoodenShuklak Augur

Just know who the group leader is and send them tells first... if raid tool is locked or unlocked or something.... however it usually is, then group leaders can invite players to raids.

Camping during a fight is super min max though... it's arguably not worth it unless you're just curious what is possible. You'd never do it in a contested situation so it's really just a meta game to keep things interesting.
  3. Vule_Xyrashue Journeyman

Get Maelin's Leggings of Lore.

Click them while your spells are on cooldown.

Bonus: put then on your hotbar, bind alt+that number to the gems that have tears of ro, tears of marr, and shock of magic. Run autofire to repeatedly press that number. When you wanna cast nukes, hold alt, otherwise you're spamming concussions. Also maximizes casts. After that just a matter of figuring out how often you can hold alt (you still want to release between casts so you're getting a concussion in on GCD) with each individual tank's aggro.
  4. Vule_Xyrashue Journeyman

Terrible advice. Ancient is a spell and has a global cooldown. Elemental legs are not and can be cast while your spells are on GCD. You can delete ancient from your spellbook once you get elemental legs.
  5. Xeris Augur

I dunno I've just seen good wizards use ancient still. I don't play wizard actively so am not trying to claim to know for sure, just saying what I've seen from parse data.
  6. ikarinokamii Elder

i always use ancient. in both VT and POP i out parse and have less agro than elemental legs concussion. Of course that's just my experience.
  7. Foaming I Drank Bleach IRL Once

Using software to automatically fire anything, like clicking maelin's legs, is a violation of using third party software on a truebox server. You run the risk.

However, he is also not wrong. Use the legs while spell gems are on cooldown.
  8. Vule_Xyrashue Journeyman

If they're using ancient they're not good wizards. They're the best you've seen because you're playing on a joke server where the high end, competitive players left years ago. I know this sounds rude and it is but it's the truth. You're talking to one of the best wizards to ever play on these servers.

Ancient is 600 hate for 2s cast 1.5s global cooldown (little more than 1.5 in reality, something like 1.6 if you live in San Diego, up to 1.8 if you live on the east coast etc. We'll call it 1.5 for discussion sake.). 600 hate in 3.5s = 171 hate/s.

Elemental legs are 400 hate for 2s cast no global cooldown. 200 hate/s.

Which one of those is better?!

Additionally, there's 1.5-1.8s of dead time in between nukes when your spells are on global cooldown. During this time you can either a) do nothing or b) cast elemental legs. (note the absence of option c) cast ancient, you can not). If you're not choosing b) you're playing a wizard very, very badly.

There's a small use case for ancient early-ish in the fight when you want to let the tank build an aggro gap, could use a nuke, pants, ancient, pants pattern. You'd get 200 extra hate reduction in 6 seconds. But, that's it, and it's hardly even worth a gem slot. Otherwise if you're casting Ancient you're just leaving damage on the table. You're never making a big mistake clicking your elemental pants, you're very often making a big mistake casting ancient. This is why I tell people to just forget Ancient the second they get elemental pants and it drastically improves their play.