Wiz or Pally?? For Phini

Discussion in 'Time Locked Progression Servers' started by MightyUnclean, Dec 3, 2015.

1. MightyUnclean Elder

Hey guys, I'm starting over on Phini. I want to try either a Wiz or Pally for a change of pace. I plan to raid a lot. I'm...kind of old and slow. Would Pally be a viable option for me? Are they tricky to play in raids, or do they become so in later expansions? I'm sure I could play a Wiz, but I'm just afraid they might be a bit one-dimensional.

Thanks for any advice!
  2. Korillo Augur

Paladins are quite good tanks in classic, the best of the 3 imo. They hold the best aggro making them good choices for main tanks in classic raids. Once Kunark roles around raidbosses hit too hard of sk's/pal's to tank them (with the new raid mob buffs) so raid tanking is defaulted back to warriors. Although a Paladin can LOH themselves to get the long HoT which essentially heals them to full every tick in Kunark which will let them tank a raid boss for a ~30-40 seconds unless they get some unlucky hits.

From Kunark on you will mostly be an off-tank, occasionally main tanking bosses that fear consistently. Although Paladins were good for tanking VS. Paladins are also great for holding aggro on mezzed mobs, so you can ensure your raid can quickly clear adds without having to wait for someone to take aggro before breaking a mez.

Are they tricky? Well, no not really. I mean don't use your blind if you can't hold aggro or aren't in melee range. I don't really think any class is all that tricky in eq tbh.

I don't know much about wizards never played one. It isn't a play style that I'm interested in, but they can definitely put out some serious damage in the first few expansions (and are generally a good class all around). If you like to top parses you could always pick it up.
  3. Semah Augur

WHO DARES call the mighty Wizard ONE DIMENSIONAL? They will be seared with the burning fire of NUKES! FLASH-FROZEN with the terrible FROST of nukes! TORN ASUNDER by the MAGICAL FURY of NUKES! Wizards are THREE dimensional! Fire! Frost! Magic!~~~~
  4. Merau Journeyman

It totally depends on how much time you have to play. As a tank, you need to have top of the line gear to be really good end game. As a wizard, or a caster in general, you can basically be naked and perform your role well.
    You will suffer badly for aggro as a Pally until your first stun. Using blind is tricky, because it sometimes make them run off randomly and people have no idea how to group with a paladin early game. With a Wizard, you get to sit OOM for most of your time early game, lol. But at least you have ports.
  5. Ducreux Augur

If you wanna be actively playing the game with lots of ways to advance your character roll the Paladin. If you are looking for a class to play that allows you to catch up on all those netflix shows (Jessica Jones) roll Wizard.
    Batbener and Xanumbik like this.
  6. Machen New Member

If you are old and slow, and want to raid, I would very strongly recommend wizard over paladin. A raiding Paladin needs to have very quick reaction times to pick up adds, etc. A wizard is much more forgiving for a slow player.
    Kridina likes this.
  7. MightyUnclean Elder

Wiz is a lot easier on raids, eh? Just remember which mobs are resistant to what and which are belly casters?
  8. Merau Journeyman

Yeah, If you don't care that you'll never have a break in a group and will constantly have to be on the ball, Paladin is for you. If you want to just chill and do other things while you nuke once in a while, Wizard is perfect.
  9. Xanumbik Augur

Honestly having been a wizzy main since the beginning the class kind of sucks till AAs come around. IMO if you want to play a caster in classic play a mage or druid they nuke similiar to wizards and Druids also port. put wizzy on backburner for a few expansions you will enjoy the game more.
  10. Weverley Augur

I remember my guild asking wiz to volunteer for deathtouch in sky after the 1st few isles.Never seen a pally getting ask for it. They would tank mobs spot heal.Much busier then wiz on sky but on other raid wiz got a big role but like other people have said pally need more gear then a wiz.
  11. Vindicator Journeyman

No one is getting to Hate or Sky without the wizard, however...
    Kridina likes this.
  12. Poydras Augur

And don't overnuke or cast too soon.

Raiding guilds often have separate class leaders and/or channels where people will give you the info on what nuke to use for the mob and when to start nuking etc.

Tanks are a lot of work. Kind of the opposite end of the spectrum. Though you don't need to tank much at all in a raid as a pally, you can just heal and buff (and loot pally drops since you'll probably be the only one there).
  13. Kridina Elder

Not to mention they are valuable for certain ports! :p
  14. DuchessElindra Elder

Old + Slow + Raid = Wizards.

Seriously don't listen to wizard haters, they do deal the out of the damage though almost all expansions. All guilds will need them nukes, for ports, and they are super rarely played.

The do are one dimensional. One dimension of mayhem and destructions on both single target, burst damage and area effects.

Now paladins, they are ok but for the next 4 or 5 xpacks you will be rather useless in raids, or lets say other classes will do your job better. They also as tanks need more gear, more time and more attention to succeed.
  15. Iyvy Augur

Man Jessica Jones is good, just watched the first couple episodes. That first episode is messed up.
  16. MBear Augur

I watched the first and didn't come back.
    Should I be giving it another chance or is it more of the same? It wasn't terrible but it just didn't grab me in the first episode.
  17. Iyvy Augur

The first episode surprised me with it's... darkness, the one scene was really shocking and haunting. I haven't watched past the first couple episodes so maybe it's just not for you.
  18. taliefer Augur

its very much a psychological thriller show. it has its moments of levity, but the overall tone is darker than people are used to from Marvel for sure. i loved the show personally. i dont think its overly Dark, but the main character suffers from PTSD and they dont shy away from it, or other topics you arent used to seeing in Comic Book type stuff.

and David Tennant is exceptional, and they do such a great job of teasing the character until his reveal.

oh, and go wizard
    MBear likes this.
  19. Banai Augur

Or Cleric. Or Mage. Or chanter. Or any caster. Lol. Everyone of them is cast 1-2 spells then sit for the majority of your career.

Unless you have terrible/troll pullers that like to keep things interesting. Then it can be fun
  20. Zublak Augur

Chanters actually put in a bit of work on some raids, especially Sky when locking down adds on multiple isles. On naggy and vox they usually just buff and tash, but sometimes need to charm giants that aren't killed or respawn on you.

Mages and Wizzies are the more "lazy" classes. I'd argue that Necro's could be, but sometimes they're utilized beyond just dotting and sending in a pet as well in Classic.