Wiz AE - self combustion - rainlike autoresists?

Discussion in 'Casters' started by Mookus, Feb 20, 2017.

1. Mookus Augur

Is this our best PBAE spell? It stinks for a bunch of reasons in my opinion but I'm posting Bout the 3rd reason it stinks. it's fully resisted by grey cons 50% of the time.

I'm trying to work some hunter kills in ocean green hills and village. Tons of grey con snakes and bats and bears. So eventually I decide to try loading an AE spell for trash piles greater than 8 in number.

Roughly half of everything I AE fully resists the spell. These are low level animals with no special resists. The even weaker PBAE doesn't seem to have this extra resist but then, it doesnt actually do noticeable dmg either.

The DPS sucks on this with the bad dmg, bad recast, negative dmg focus recourse and other balancing negatives.

What extra mechanic did they employ to make grey cons have a high chance to fully resist this spell? Is this a bug or intended? The spell that is already useless imo from a raid DPS standpoint so I hardly use it. But it really pisses me off that it's useless even for a trash cleanup in ocean green hills.
  2. Drogba Augur

They nerfed the number of targets on some wiz/mage spells a while back after much glorious beam kiting was had. This was probably one of them. Self Combustion isn't hitting everything, so it may just appear like it's resisting when infact it's only hitting a few targets.

You could try the 'corona' line. Someone may correct me, but i think corona is the only viable wiz spell without a target limit. Corona's lower dmg becomes worthwhile if you have a large enough pile. That with beam and splash, rain and pillar.
    Sancus likes this.
  3. Xikteny Augur

Self-Combustion does have a worse resist mod than most other modern spells (eg Combusting Beam). This line of spells has always lacked a good resist mod AFAIK.

Code:
    Self-Combustion
    Spell Type:    Detrimental - Resist: Fire

Combusting Beam
    Spell Type:    Detrimental - Resist: Fire -50
  4. Mookus Augur

I read the eqresource link for self combustion you posted and only now noticed
    Max targets: 5
    Wow how many more ways can this spell suck. Of those 5 targets I bet half fully resist anyway.

So as far as unlimited PBAE target spells go, out best one would have to be
    http://spells.eqresource.com/spells.php?id=44588 At a big time 6k damage.

I recall that rain spells gave mobs a second chance at full resists before they finally got fixed years ago. It feels to me like self combustion has that going for it like rains of old. But now that I'm know it's capped at 5 targets I wouldn't mem it again anyway.
  5. Biltene Kingslayer

The new pillar spells don't have a hit limit, but they do have a tight radius. They're not PBAE, but targeted AE, but it should still work the same if the mobs are in close quarters.
  6. Jumbur Improved Familiar

I am 99% sure the new pillar spells have a max limit of 4.

Corona of flame: unlimited
    Combusting Beam: 20 targets
    all other "ae"-spells 5 targets(in case of rains, if less the 5, there will be multiple waves, but 5 hits is the max for 1 cast of rain)
  7. Jumbur Improved Familiar

Correction: combusting beam: 12 targets

Tried pillars just now, and could only get it to hit 4 dummies, but if i was standing on top of them, it hit myself too. There were 7+ dummies on top of eachother...
  8. Biltene Kingslayer

Silly me for going based on spell data/information. I mean, there are limits listed in the spell data on Self-Combustion, Combusting Beam, and Splash, but none listed for Skyblaze or Silverstorm Pillars. And the description says "hits all creatures...", but it's not like that stuff hasn't been wrong before. Guess Corona is all we have for unlimited targets.
  9. Jumbur Improved Familiar

Imho, the sillyness award goes to DBG for having misleading ingame spell descriptions. :p