Wish expansions still came in a box?

Discussion in 'The Newbie Zone' started by Cintile, Oct 19, 2012.

1. Cintile Lorekeeper

I don't know about you guys but I always enjoyed collecting the Everquest expansion pack boxes and it's so disappointing that over the last few year that has no longer been an option. At the very least the collectors addition should come in a box, right? Kind of defeats the purpose of a collectors addition. I would love to hear your thoughts on this as a responce here or on my blog http://easytechsite.com/everquest/e...orders-for-their-14th-expansion-rain-of-fear/

Any one have some fun pics of their Everquest box collections?
    Margot Heart likes this.
  2. hotspur95 Journeyman

3. Trazzlo Elder

I don't care if they put it in a box for the people who want it, but they should be charged for that option. Downloading the expansions is cheap, easy, and fast. I certainly wouldn't want to have to buy via box anymore, that is all an age long gone like elevator operators.
    RekMMO likes this.
  4. beryon Augur

It's not cheaper; you're paying the same price for a digital download that we used to pay for a box, just with nothing to show for it. Plus stores would have sales, & SOE generally doesn't until the next expansion is almost out.
  5. Trazzlo Elder

That doesn't sound right at all. No way that creating a box, manufacturing "just the right number" to meet all demand but have no waste, shipping, and retailer percentage are more than the cost of a digital download. The difference is that SOE makes more profit on each sale, rather than us getting a price break. But, then again we wait until there is a sale on to buy it.

If they put boxes back in as a form of purchase, you can bet they would still want the same profit. So the boxes should reflect that, not the digital downloads.
    Leatherneck likes this.
  6. iniari-TR Augur

welcome to the 21 st. century.

CD's for each expansion were a waste since as soon as you logged in the patcher updated all the files.
    and as stated its much easier and cheaper for soe to use digital download.
    in the days of dial-up trying to download was an all day task at best, today it takes an hour at most.
  7. Goranothos Augur

CDs? I wish they came in a box full of floppy disks! :)
  8. Sweetiebear New Member

I'd like for boxes and discs, due to the fact my Internet connection isn't quite... top notch... :(
  9. Diptera Augur

Floppy disks? I wish they still came as a listing in a magazine that you had to type in yourself... /FourYorkshireMen
    Dzarn likes this.
  10. Borek-VS Augur

I recommend camping out in MacDonalds or Starbucks when you need to make a big download. Even if you do it on a laptop, you can copy the downloaded game directory to a desktop machine and it will work.
  11. oldschoolCannon New Member

Oh man, think that's why I'm coming back now..bout a month ago I seen an EQ Disk at wal-mart for like $6 !! Did'nt really care to collect the stuff, but I always thought back to that trial version where the game walked you through the cemetary / attack the skeleton and jump into the hole only to read.."To Start playing EQ,......." lol
  12. Cakeny Augur

Not giving my CC info to SOE, so guess no new xpacs for me.
  13. Dreamrider Elder

Bank of America has a program that can generate a temporary credit card number that you can use to buy things online such as expansion packs.

Other banks may have similar programs, inquire.

Bank of America ShopSafe is at https://www.bankofamerica.com/privacy/accounts-cards/shopsafe.go
  14. Gannen Elder

they also take paypal on their other sources for payment...
  15. Straahdx Augur

Prepaid cc works also, no link to your real account that way. Just load up the card with your sub amount, and done.
  16. BrandeX Journeyman

17. Kreen New Member

None the less it was true... same price if did just the digital download for that time when both were offered, BUT if in a state not in Cali, a digital does save sales tax, unlike if lived in Cali, which when they still had boxes i did at the time so preferred the box. I have little statuette of Fironia Vie and her staff, a key code key ring, boxes with art. A colored glossy paper map, and a cloth colored map of EQ zones of the expansion box covered. Think some more stuff but forget. The one earliest and think it was ONLY digital download, was Legacy of Ykesha which i also say is lamest expansion ever too, just had new froglok race as anything special, thats in use today even. (so was my first purchase after EQ 1 which my sony vaio said had AGES of EMpires, so i bought two copies of EQ basic one for me and one for best friend 10 bucks each, then opened EQ boxes lol and then comp and discovered Sony Vaio had free month trial for EQ instead of Ages of Empires ( which my best friend, played, and never did EQ with me cuz he was dial up and we at the time lived a full county away, cuz i had moved south)).

I still have all my old boxes, but when reinstalled EQ on my old vaio, after had to rep its hard drive ( a reason i didnt come back to EQ sooner, tho was keeping up yearly annual special price of 99$ on acct for 3 half years lol of non playing so got vet rewards still.) and on new lap top and later my uber game computer an old eq buddy helped pick out on web site for me to box and raid good with, was easier to just download then put in all old CD/s as mentioned, so much updated and changed, they not help speed up much now.

BUT not having those boxes in sight for new players, all of EQ's new players are mostly just the meager word of mouth, and lets face it, EQ players dont go around telling everyone they are gaming nerds as adults still lol! So the loss of player base i think has hurt financially MORE then the savings of the hard copies of new expansions. THO i agree with new expasnions covering old ones, because just too expensive for new players to buy all those previous ones, that are still needed but minorly so, to group effectivly with long term players. Even too like myself, if i had to buy the two expansions i missed, besides HoT on my return, when last one purchased was SoD i belive, i might have canceled my subscription right there as i returned to decide if play again or never again.
  18. Geozen Journeyman

I have my original box and Kunark box on display on my shelf above my computer area :) i love it. I think i need to pull out the maps that came with them and put those on the wall.
  19. Fenthen aka Rath

The fabric map was the best! What, Kunark or Velious one?
  20. WarSheol Augur

I had every box but I decided I didnt need all those old disks, still have an EQ Gold tin box and a PoP box with a FV figure in it :cool:

No need to buy more boxes now just take up more room that I could use for Larry Elmore signed art.