windows 10 updates ruining performance

Discussion in 'Player Support' started by superman, Aug 19, 2017.

1. superman Augur

time and time and time again. sick of it. gonna buy a previous os. Curious if anyone runs it on xp or 7 and how it does....
  2. Ghubuk Augur

Win xp is not supported anymore. Runs fine on win 7 still.
    FYI, I run eq on win 10 and have no issues. Not sure why you are.
  3. Nolrog Augur

What exactly is the problem you are having? I run EQ on 3 different windows 10 machines with no problem at all.
  4. snailish Augur

My most recent issue was actually the "live scanning" of my McAfee virus scan.

Shut it off for 15 minutes, login and all is good. It was diagnosing out as a windows update problem via the various help posts/suggestions/FAQ. Not saying your issue isn't windows, but there isn't a lot of people having issues right now in a visible way (i.e., with posts) which a windows-wide issue would likely cause.
  5. Toruch Fleshrot Augur

Windows 10 is not the source of your problems.
  6. superman Augur

It runs smooth as butter, then self updates eventually (when it restarts) and my fps goes down terribly. it's so bad I can click on a spell and it takes about 1 second to start casting. Then I restart my os clean re-install eq and it works fine again until it force updates me. (the only thing I use this laptop for is eq)

I disabled windows updates even in service setttings and it turned itself back on. I've tried uninstalling the updates but its still terrible, I have to reinstall the a fresh os and it takes away about a day of playing.

would love to hear other suggestions on fixing it to save me from buying another os but this is just getting old fast.

I Will try shutting off macvee cuz I have that too, be awesome if that fixed it :)
  7. Ghubuk Augur

You should be able to switch the way the updates download to be done only at certain times of the day.
  8. Metanis Bad Company

Run CMD as Administrator. Type "powercfg -h off" to permanently disable Hibernation mode. Then change Power Options to High Performance and reboot. Finally, keep running Windows Updates until they get completely caught up. Sometimes Win10 keeps going into Hibernation instead of doing a real reboot. When that happens the queued updates never get done and the TrustedInstaller service runs continuously in the background causing serious performance issues.