Why no out of combat regen?

Discussion in 'Time Locked Progression Servers' started by Hinastorm86, Dec 7, 2015.

1. Hinastorm86 Augur

I know its too late, for phinny anyway, to make a big change like this, but why is out of combat regen not on TLP servers?

Honestly, its been a loooooooooooong time since i've played without it, but I recall on my 50 something druid, quadding somewhere, on live sometime around 2003?

I timed how long it took to med from 0 to full, it was 7 minutes. How long does ooc regen take for 0 to full, about a minute?

I get keeping certain things harder on tlp to recreate experiences, but much like getting rid of corpse runs, what does having to sit down doing nothing for several more minutes accomplish?

Obviously, if medding has been buffed since then, or something, ignore all this =)
  2. MBear Augur

Players are already very overpowered in the early expansions. OOC medding would just add to that problem by giving them even more mana/health.
    Skewert and Alphont like this.
  3. Weverley Augur

I don't know if you were here when ragefire was getting ready to start but a lot of purist from p1999 wanted to experience classic as close as possible to what it was in 1999.Daybreak did almost everything they could that did not impact live because it was suppose to be a nostalgia server.
  4. Senen Journeyman

I agree it makes no sense, coming back to play after 10+ years. The one thing I could do without is added down time for the sake of down time. I can tell you the vast majority of people if they had to sit that long to med up to full. Will just tab out of game and read or watch a youtube video. That's why games since have gotten away from mechanics like that. Which serve no purpouse then to slow you down and waste precious time. I'm hoping that coming back to experience this one more time isn't going to be a mistake for a lot of people including myself. Watching paint dry adds no value and certainly isn't going to screw with my immersion I always found that funny if watching paint dry gets removed...
  5. MBear Augur

It's like you posted without reading my post.
    Also curious, is your group not upset with you if you just tab out of the game and read or watch youtube? I'd think they wouldn't care too much for that.
  6. taliefer Augur

The slower pace and learning mana conservation is one of the biggest features of old eq. Yes, I said feature. If you add in ooc regen its a fundamental change to old eq.

You could argue fir its earlier implementation by an expansion or two yea, (it's added with TSS) but there's no reason for it to be in early era eq
    Skewert and Alphont like this.
  7. Senen Journeyman

Why would your grp care if everyone is sitting waiting on mana that's the point here. Down time is down time sitting at the pc for 7 mins or going to get a snack watch youtube whatever isn't going to change that. Unless your expecting everyone to have some deep meaningfull conversation between down time..
    Tinytinker likes this.
  8. Sverder New Member

OOC regen favors casters which are already OP. Plus if it was in, zones like solB could probably only support like 3 groups because the overall killing speed (mobs/minute) would be improved so much.

The overall rate of exp gain is already greatly improved over classic. There's no reason to improve it more by adding OOC regen.
    Skewert likes this.
  9. Agrippa Augur

I think the general idea of recovering slowly is to ensure that classic Everquest is the one game that we end up spending more time not playing than actually playing.
  10. Hinastorm86 Augur

I agree mana conservation is important...on a single fight, not a string of fights. Calling being super stingy with your mana or face downtime a feature, is like calling bugs in fallout 4 a feature =P
  11. taliefer Augur

Any good group IS a string of fights. You can't expect to blow yer entire mana bar every mob, then get back to fm luckily split. If each individual mob was actually difficult, then yea, maybe. But what seperates a good player from a bad is how they manage mana over the course of time.

If you want faster paced gameplay where resource management is important fight to fight, almost every other mmo has that.
    Skewert, Alphont, MBear and 1 other person like this.
  12. Poydras Augur

There are ways to reduce downtime in classic EQ. You're asking for the benefits brought by other classes without having to group with them.
    Skewert and Elkay like this.
  13. Weverley Augur

As a druid i wish would make melee think ok we should try not to get hit too much but so far they don't think like that they prefer to get healer almost oom before stopping pulling to the degree of having a wipe if too many mobs come and then omg run everybody.
  14. Moranis Augur

Plain and simple, the first many expansions of this game are not tuned for ooc regen...it would make every caster into a wizard, for starters, and render about 90% of every caster's spellbook obsolete. There would be no need to do anything other than spam your biggest nuke (regardless of mana efficiency)...mobs do not have enough HP to make this challenging at all. The benefits from all non-DD nukes would be inconsequential...you wouldn't need to DOT, slow, dispell, debuff mobs and you wouldn't need to clarity, chloro or even buff your group mates because any given fight will only last about 10 seconds. It would also further widen the gap between casters and melee if not completely rendering melee useless.

Personally, I think ooc regen ruined the essence of the game...but at least when they implemented the feature, they re-tuned the game to accommodate it.
    Skewert likes this.
  15. Arderd and Crowd Augur

I think if you do that, you make PLing way too easy. You also make enchanters and bards kinda pointless if you are chewing through mobs with current dps, so those classes are less desirable if u can FM by just going for a bio.
    Skewert likes this.
  16. Xenthoxin New Member

All this crying for nostalgia, "But wait, not that!"

You want classic or you don't. People used to actually talk to each other during this "downtime for downtime sake", it was how you learned other people played, what kind of person they were, or if you'd end up grouping with them for (sometimes) years. Stop crying so much about things that didn't even exist. On top of not having OOC regen, imagine having to stare at your book and hope nothing destroys your group. Doesn't sound like what you want? Then you don't want Classic.
  17. Agrippa Augur

Don't get me wrong in my post above, I actually enjoy this slower paced era more than I do the modern game. But don't pretend that we're actually able to play casters solo, grouped, or raiding during the downtime. Either we're casting spells or we're sitting around not playing.

If I solo on my druid, I'm quad kitting typically and rounding up the mobs, snaring them, and nuking them down might take two to three minutes, if that. Then, even with mana potions, it takes a good ten minutes of not playing to recover the mana to repeat the process. During those ten minutes, I can walk away, tab out, chat with the guild, but don't pretend that I'm playing my character in any way during that time. It's pure downtime for 80% of a solo druid's play time and I stand my statement that classic Everquest is the one game that we paid more to not play our characters than actually playing them. With that said, Everquest is also the one game that's kept me coming back over sixteen years.
  18. Batbener Augur

You don't think quad kiting with very little down time would be a bit of a game changer?
    Skewert, Alphont and MBear like this.
  19. MBear Augur

If you are chatting with your guild, you are playing. Meddling is part of game play and mana planning and conservation are also part of play.
    My brother takes stupid long turns in Axis And Allies but I don't say that I'm not playing when action is on him.
    Skewert and Batbener like this.
  20. Your_Ad_Here Augur

I'm guessing food and water wasn't around in Classic EQ? (I didn't play until 2001 or so).

I know it doesn't work like in EQ2, but wouldn't having food/water in your top slots assist in some way with mana regen?