Why Boxing, Krono, and TLP do not mix.

Discussion in 'Time Locked Progression Servers' started by AngorfLadroTholuxeP, May 27, 2015.

1. AngorfLadroTholuxeP Augur

For visibility, this is a cross-post from my thread on Reddit:

Subject: The existence of the Krono currency is what makes me against boxing. Is there any counter-point to the argument that a six-box of mages can and will easily pay for itself?

I originally posted this as a response, but I think it deserves its own post as I don't see anyone talking about it.

On the subject of boxing alone, I really couldn't care, but back then there wasn't a tradeable in-game currency that provided game-time (Krono). Due to its implementation, I have to be strongly AGAINST boxing on this type of server. My main reason is very simple, yet hardly mentioned. A six-box of mages, can and will, in effect, be completely self-sufficient after the start up costs (which can be easily recouped via RMT). Before we even address RMT, lets address legit Krono trading.

Since KSing is (apparently?) legal, any 6 box mage group can go anywhere they want and KS anyone (to an extent). They can lock down content and valuable items, and have no concern for anyone else if there are no repercussions. Then they can turn around and sell those items for Krono. Thus, the six box pays for itself. DBG still gets the cash, (as someone had to buy that Krono from them), but the actual boxer is NOT spending $90/mo to play his box.

To address RMT, we take the same argument a step further. Here the player must resort to actions which could technically get them banned, but many RMTers fly under the radar. Not to mention, the player can easily make a new account just to RMT (and not even have to pay for it since he has all that shiny Krono).

If and when we see more instancing (especially at the upper levels), it is possible that there would be less inflation of prices, and the boxes wouldn't be as profitable as they had originally hoped. For all of these reasons and more I support proper instancing and lock-outs for basically everything (although this would be quite the feat to implement). I would anticipate that more of us want to enjoy the content of the old days as opposed to the pain and drama that came along with it. However, I cannot imagine a situation where if KSing is legal, they would have trouble being able to pay for themselves.

I would love to hear the counter-point to this, but I don't think there is one. Sure a 6-mage boxer can claim that he wouldn't do this, but to say that he wouldn't have the ability would be a lie, and quite frankly, insulting of our intelligence.

TL;DR: Any 6-boxing mage be more than self-sufficient through the now legitimized krono trading. Not only will they pay for themselves, they can they profit through RMT without the need for subtlety while facing little to no repercussions.
  2. Healiez Augur

One thing krono DID do is practically destroy the RMT game by outside companies...

If you play any other MMO today, WoW, FFXIV, Rift, Wildstar you are plagued with tells, friend, and guild invites from money sellers trying to advertise their products. This is non existant on EQ because of the open trading of krono.
  3. jagarr Augur

ok brb building a time machine since this is the only solution to these issues.

my time machine will also be able to reach alternate dimensions so i can get to one where krono sales/profits don't matter to DB.

there will be new rounds of TLPS in the future (probably with some roegen sprinkled in) that might have no boxing/no kronos... lol who am i kidding there will always be boxing and kronos/game time tokens

even WOW has game time tokens now. the dog days of olde where we are a tiny miniscule helpless poopie in a vast game world where internet databases don't exist and RMT is not a thing are oh-vah-unhhh-uhh as florence would say.
  4. Necromonious Augur

Counter-point is that playing 6 copies of the same class is ****ing boring, even playing a mage is kinda boring, as classes go.

And any money u can make playing EQ is way less than you could make at even a minimum wage job, with a much bigger time requirement
  5. jagarr Augur

=|

guys plz stop.
  6. AngorfLadroTholuxeP Augur

WoW (recently) and Wildstar (for a while now), have had in game currency for game time. I'm not sure about the other games, never played 'em.