While boxing on 2 screens terrible FPS on inactive window

Discussion in 'Player Support' started by nehemiaxx, Dec 14, 2016.

1. nehemiaxx New Member

I got everquest on 2 seperate harddrives. while boxing 2 chars i get terrible FPS on the inactive screen (using 2 monitors), making it impossible to even use autofollow.

i just came back from a 2 years break and i used to 3 box without any problems. Please help with this =)
  2. Riou EQResource

Do you have background FPS set to a decent value (like at least 30)?
  3. nehemiaxx New Member

yep its on 50 on both EQs
  4. nemotech Lorekeeper

i realize some don't have issues, but my second client (inactive) would lag behind and get left on auto follow until i duplicated my EQ dir and ran the second client from there. i tried setting CPU affinity, but the only thing that worked for me was 2 EQ directories. this is on my Dell 15z laptop i5 2430m 8gb DDR3 with optimus video Intel HD3000 and nVidia 525 GTX 1gb. never had the issue on my tower. so it may have been the optimus setup, but if you have the space, might be worth trying. Both under Sony\Everquest and Sony\Everquest1... and then try setting affinity, could be video drivers too... unless ur using the same drivers from 2 years ago? lol. what OS u running? btw, welcome back!
  5. Corwyhn Lionheart Guild Leader, Lions of the Heart

He said he has eq on two seperate hard drives so I am assuming he is running one session from each which is what I think you are proposing.

I run eq off an SSD with only one EQ installation but before that I don't recall lagging on multiple sessions. I wonder if there could be some reason other then HD access time that would require two installs to be run? If two separate installs fixed things I doubt it was the Optimus setup.
  6. Corwyhn Lionheart Guild Leader, Lions of the Heart

Are you running around in different zones now from a couple years ago? Is the set up you are using now the same as back then or did you recently install EQ to play again? What video card/built in do you have?

I am trying to figure out what has changed between now and a few years ago when you could use auto follow with no problem. Could some of your in game setitngs be different now? There are a few settings you can use to reduce lag have you looked up any and tried them? If not I am sure I can find a link to them for you.
  7. nehemiaxx New Member

i left EQ when Tower of rot went live. Nothing has changed in terms of hardware but i cant even box a DH HA because the framrate drops dramatically on the inactive window.

I remember that V-Sync was an issue but i cant find an option to turn it on (i think turning it on reduced that problem)

I have a G-Force 970, its not the fastest card out there but it worked flawless back then. Maybe some ingame settings have changed or rather i changed them to make it work but i really can't remember.
  8. Narogg Augur

I have experienced this.
    Type /log off is your lag goes away then its related to your anti virus scanning your log file.
    You can fix this if your using windows defender by adding the entire eq folder as a DO NOT SCAN item.

9. karmalious Lorekeeper

I can 2box on my Surface Pro 4 without any problems at all. As long as your inactive FPS is set to MAX, then the problem is with your computer. As Narogg points out, other things can impact computer performance including background processes.

Aside from setting your anti-virus to Game Mode. You can try going into Task Manager and finding which processes are eating up your CPU.

If the OP is using an Nvidia 970, there is not any bottleneck with the graphics card. I am running my on the innate hardware HD520
  10. Sarkaukar Augur

Running EQ from two separate folders also means both accounts are running on the same core by default.

First, make sure the following is done.

Nvidia UI, 3D, power management mode - change from adaptive to prefer max performance.
    Your system's Control Panel, Power Options, set to High Performance

Whether or not you are using two separate folders, change the behavior of running each EQ on only one CPU core. Locate eqclient.ini for each account and open with Notepad. Locate each CPUAffinity 0/1/2/3 = # and change the number sign to a -1 (negative 1). This will spread the workload across all available cores instead of it being jammed to one core.

CPUAffinity0= -1
    CPUAffinity1= -1
    CPUAffinity2= -1
    CPUAffinity3= -1

The other option is to manually set the CPU Affinity to difference core(s) once you are at least at the character selection screen for eqgame.exe

Edit - Vsync, in the same eqclient.ini locate vsync=FALSE and change it to TRUE. If you can not locate it, add VSYNC =TRUE under DEFAULT section.
    nehemiaxx likes this.
  11. nehemiaxx New Member

@ Sarkaukar THANK YOU!
    Question is, how do i set the client, that it always uses core 1 and 2?