Which class is best against undead?

Discussion in 'The Newbie Zone' started by Mittensworth, Dec 17, 2014.

1. Mittensworth New Member

I'm a new player and I've only leveled a couple classes in their 20's. I'm curious as to which class is best at soloing or moloing against undead. Cleric seems to be doing great, with low cost, fast casting undead nukes, but I really don't know anything about if AA's and other abilities are gamechanging later.

From what I've read, Paladins, Shadowknights, Necromancers, and Clerics are all good for different reasons, but I'm not terribly familiar with which would do best at higher levels soloing undead.

Also, I'm not really concerned with killing the biggest meanest high level monster, but much more interested in grinding experience at a good rate when I'm not in a group.
  2. Sheaffer Augur

I'd have to say necro or cleric until level 55ish then necro and paladin. Cleric dps against undead falls off in a hard way the higher you go. Necros on the other hand can solo all day every day and have extra anabilities vs undead. Paladins come into their own vs undead around (and please correct me if I'm wrong which I might be) around level 85.
  3. Borek-VS Augur

Paladin's win on dps, thanks to the Slay Undead AA, starting at 59. Cleric dps is a long, long way inferior; most non-cleric classes do more general dps than clerics do on undead (after the first few levels).

Necros win on utility; specific undead slow, mez, fear, roots, etc.
  4. Roxxanna Augur

What server are you on?
  5. Roxxanna Augur

A tiny zombie (8) in 468s, 12416k@26530sdps (26530dps in 468s)

First part of Gribble Into the hills, by myself, self buffed.
    I don't know the other classes very well, but this seems pretty good to me for a cleric.
  6. Momentum Elder

By this logic then you are still worse than any normal DPS class against undead. So the best DPS vs undead is the same as it is vs any mob: a wizard, mage, rogue, monk, et cetera.

In more direct response to the OP: undead-specific abilities generally aren't particularly impactful in EQ (Paladin's Slay Undead in particular has been stagnated massively, for example). Picking a class to specifically combat undead isn't going to net you much of an advantage for any loss in flexibility. For soloing or moloing vs undead I would recommend a mage or a necromancer.
  7. Crystilla Augur

Cleric DPS no longer falls off at the highest level; hasn't really for a while because of our Turn Undead AA is constantly upgraded each expansion (but now we also have Smite the Wicked AA). Sustained we definitely won't be anywhere in the pecking but we can get the job done as Roxxanna listed there in her Gribble run.

Going to change topics slightly and show some raid parses on a couple mini named from CoF. These are the only ones, on occasion, I'll DPS since I do have a healing requirement as well. This is with zero support from anyone else (no bard, chanter, druid, etc.) so just my own abilities and AA usage ... when I remember to even hit them much less hit them in the right order LOL.

[Fri Oct 24 18:56:07 2014] '/GU Sergeant Grady in 59s, 39708k @673025dps --- Crystilla 2617k @68880dps (6.59&PCT)
    [Fri Nov 07 18:26:56 2014] '/GU Sergeant Grady in 64s, 39372k @615190dps --- Crystilla 2307k @51260dps (5.86&PCT)'
    [Fri Nov 14 18:38:08 2014] '/GU Sergeant Grady in 50s, 39859k @797178dps --- Crystilla 2245k @70144dps (5.63&PCT)'
    [Fri Nov 21 19:51:05 2014] '/GU Sergeant Grady in 64s, 39110k @611096dps --- Crystilla 2693k @62633dps (6.89&PCT)
    [Fri Nov 21 19:51:35 2014] '/GU Sergeant Brenn in 117s, 43225k @369446dps --- Crystilla 1088k @25907dps
    [Tue Dec 02 19:33:00 2014] '/GU Sergeant Grady in 70s, 38830k @554717dps --- Crystilla 1836k @49608dps (4.73&PCT)
    [Tue Dec 02 19:35:08 2014] '/GU Sergeant Larenzo in 215s, 48866k @227283dps --- Crystilla 2060k @28610dps (4.22&PCT)
    [Sun Dec 07 19:30:54 2014] '/GU Sergeant Grady in 42s, 40048k @953528dps --- Crystilla 2088k @116026dps

Basically I'm trying to say we have the tools to do DPS versus undead though as stated, we won't be able to do this on a sustained level (but Roxxy listed her sustained which I think is really good for a priest class). Even above, you can see when the fight doubled in length my DPS dropped off to similar rates as Roxy showed. But again, this is a 'burst' raid setting.

There definitely are a number of us, Rox, I'm sure as well who are willing to help you if you have DPS questions and want to stay as a cleric for all the other things we offer. The serverwide channel can be helpful as well.

/join serverwide.cleric:cleric
    Nniki and Yther like this.
  8. Crystilla Augur

To the OP, your last line there - grinding experience when not in a group. With that, I would say things like necro, MAGE for sure are better bets. But just know most expansions have some undead in them if you continue to choose down the undead route.
  9. Roxxanna Augur

My parse was for sustained over a 10 min run, one pull right after another, no pauses for mana, no pauses for health, and a good average of high and low crits. I was puller, tank, healer, and dps, and I could keep that rate up all day, as I ended with 72% mana with QM and VP unused. The op mentioned grinding at a good date with no group, and that was what I was trying to demonstrate.
  10. Momentum Elder

This really is the crux of the matter. Yes, Roxanna has demonstrated she can put out some respectable DPS (slightly more than my bard!) vs undead mobs whilst also fulfilling other roles. The reality is undead make up a small percentage of the enemies you will encounter. Even versus undead, the cleric still does significantly less DPS than a main DPS class, and the tanking point is moot when discussing mages/necromancers.

Perhaps it is patronising of me to interpret the OP this way but I can't really imagine anyone playing EverQuest just to kill undead - especially when given the context of the last line - it seems much more like they believe killing undead will be a more efficient way to XP due to some classes special abilities versus them, and that is simply not the case.
  11. Mittensworth New Member

I started out on Vox because I think its the newest server? And I'd probably have a better chance of bumping into people my own level as I level up. Everyone has been super friendly so far too, randomly giving buffs like Temp and damage shields. Really helpful while it lasts!
  12. Mittensworth New Member

Generally I'd rather be in a group. But when nothing is available, I'm generally having fun blasting away at undead and it seems really efficient (low mana, fast casting). I wasn't sure if this changed later on with AA's and other abilities.

I really like Cleric so far. Paladin also interests me, because I'm mostly interested in group content, and I might be wrong but they seem like the easiest tank to get and maintain aggro with. So long as I have one avenue to solo and feel good smiting something on my own, I'm happy.

To be clear, I'm not looking at playing either character because of their undead killing ability. Its not really much of a factor. I'm just really curious as to who would be tops at it. (Plus, it seems like both clerics and paladins aren't as common as other classes, and I kind of like that)
  13. Crystilla Augur

Too bad you aren't on Rathe, Roxxanna's guild sounds like it would be perfect for you (they have a lot of folks in all levels, many new folks go there as well).
  14. Witchcraft Lorekeeper

As a member of Roxx's guild I can personally attest to the fact that we have a few people in almost EVERY level range - from new folks and returning players to vets just rolling alts. It's a fun, active, really supportive guild in The Eternal Darkness - The Rathe server.

My humble opinion on the OP - you can't go wrong with a necromancer. They have lots of undead-centric abilities, their DPS is in the top three or four, and they're incredibly self-sufficient.

Best of luck finding a class and guild that's the right fit for you!

Spellcrafter Pitterpatter Littlefoot of the Rathe
    Level 83 Magician
  15. Fantomah Journeyman

I wish EQ would expand on special scenario benefits for every class.

As was mentioned, the slaying of undead abilities for Clerics, Paladins, Necromancers, etc. are better than their usual capabilities, but pale in comparison to Wizards, Rogues, and the usual beasts of damage. How cool would it be if Sony would implement spell/ability lines for every class that would make said class "the Wizard of DPS" for that zone or even just a type of mob?

Some are implemented (such as undead, spells against plants), but to make the abilities extremely powerful would add a dimension of inclusion of more classes to groups and raids, and even some role play (which EQ has truly lost).

Druids against antagonist Plants.
    Rangers against antagonist Animals.
    Enchanters against certain spell casting mobs.
    Beastlords against humanoids.
    Shaman/Monks against mobs with agnostic religion?

The possibilities are endless.

It would be fun to see what the developers come up with.

F a n t o m a h
    Diocletian likes this.
  16. Nniki Augur

Bards against Legendary Creatures!
    Diocletian likes this.
  17. Diocletian New Member

I would even like to see more of the history of EQ play a role. Like, Trolls rage over Frogloks for throwing them out of their city (how in the HELL did that happen, anyway?), or have players that follow Mithaniel Marr have a spell line against mobs that follow Innoruk, Cazic Thule, and Bertox. I agree, I think it would be fun.
  18. Diocletian New Member

19. Nniki Augur

South Ro - LDON Story: http://everquest.allakhazam.com/qgen/SouthRo.html

Silly trolls and their Gromzek Stone...
    Diocletian likes this.
  20. Diocletian New Member

It was more of philosophical question than a literal one.

Anyway, thanks for the cool lore. EQ should have more of this and players that know it.