What's up with NToV?

Discussion in 'Time Locked Progression Servers' started by Thellonious, Sep 23, 2017.

1. Thellonious Journeyman

Went to NTOV today to goof around; Lord Vyemm wasn't up, some of the boss guards (Aary's specifically [Kal Vunar / Nir Tan]) were respawning. Zone appears to be a mess. I think I would consider this part of my post about "bugs."

Just to renew what folks have said for a while (though this clearly isn't a bug), the entire zone is just not fun to do in its current state. Everything has way too much HP/regen, mitigates at an unnecessary level, and generally sucks. Would be cool to see things that are many expansions out of era at a "goof-off-for-fun" level, rather than the "you must spend your entire day AFK whacking Lady Nev if you want to kill Vulak."

I know there are other servers that will be hitting this content, and to change the MOTM on Phinny would affect them. Thus, I am not really expecting a change to Phinny specifically. I do think its worth considering bumping down the amount of HP the mobs have or altering the mitigation a little bit universally, though. For context, I typically hit around 1500 max with my 2-hander equipped on OOW mobs (I am a monk), but my highest hit in ToV was 547. Most of my swings were landing for between 100-200, even on trash. In era, it was unnecessarily lengthy - every fight shouldn't be an endurance fight. Some of those dragons were definitely "burns" in 2001 or whatever.

Again, I get that this is low priority, but I wanted to flag, again, that I don't think it makes much sense as it is currently set up. The zone just sucks - I think a lot of folks would agree that going back and mashing old content is a lot of fun, and the amount of time it would take to goof off in NTOV precludes it from being "fun" in any context.
  2. Rhodz Augur

It had all the ear marks of a bad solution when it was enacted as a knee jerk to the mage armies of RF.
    Instead of dealing with the problem they covered up the symptom and now the problem is not around any longer being for the most part addressed with Truebox yet this abomination remains. This is always the case.
    Problems are seldom nearly as bad as the poor solutions.
  3. Machentoo Augur

When did they implement Truebox on Ragefire?
  4. Rhodz Augur

They didn't but its been on every TLP since as has the mob buff which addresses a problem no longer existing as the 18 and 24 mage bot armies run by a single player no longer exist. All they have done is make things dull and boring, the twin pillars of EQ development... ;)
  5. Death Strudel Augur

I think revisiting these things, including MoTM is worth doing on TLP servers. While the content is certainly beatable, it begets large raiding forces (I'm seeing some guilds going for 50+, which is insanity). It should be tuned for about 30 people, in era. Some guilds will still need 60, but most can survive at 30 and have a challenge.

Particularly during some really dry expansions (Kunark, LoY, LDoN), people log out and just never log back in again, ever. Attrition can be high, and it only gets higher as critical mass starts to fade. It's a bit easier to keep it low if we can beat content with a smaller number of regulars, it keeps the addiction.
  6. Fibgirl Lorekeeper

Trying to solo Vulak`Aerr for an Abashi's Rod of Disempowerment?
    Renshu likes this.
  7. Finchy Augur

I recall people 1 grouping raid targets in era being the reason they added the MoTM, then shortly after added pet mitigation due to the mages and what not.
  8. Kiaro Augur

MoTM was included because you could kill Naggy with a single group due to how powerful characters are now compared to the original bosses, guild on Phinigel was doing NToV in era with 30 people no problem, it took forever though.

I agree, remove MOTM on the targets once the next level cap increase releases! I'd love to solo my boxes up some NToV armor.
  9. Death Strudel Augur

Did anyone ever kill Naggy with 1 group in-era? As far as I know that was either using out of era gear, or one person and his 24 accounts. The latter is not happening anymore for other reasons, the former...I don't care, thanks to instances, but if they want to throw MoTM back on a couple expacs later, that's reasonable.
  10. Mwapo Augur

The first Naggy kill on ragefire was essentially a handful of mages that weren't even level 50. Even with motm(but before changes to pet agro, you could kill Naggy with 6 or less mages via pet walling.
  11. Dadcop Lorekeeper

Ahh the days of 'sorry you picked the wrong class' raids
  12. Thellonious Journeyman

lol, not to answer petty with petty, but I've had one of those for a while ... was going in to help a friend get one, though.
  13. Machentoo Augur

Yes. I've done it with 3 naked level 50 mages.
  14. Brumans Augur

Bumping this - for those interested, there's an issue out there to vote on. Should help bring attention to this issue. MOTM should really fall off / get weaker as expansions progress.

https://dgcissuetracker.com/browse/EQ-1704
    Mashef likes this.
  15. Communist Puppy Augur

3 level 46 mages were the first people to kill naggy on ragefire.
  16. -wycca Augur

It was more than 3 mages. Source - I was one of those mages. That being said, while you needed more than 3 IMO, it wasn't a huge exaggeration.
  17. McJumps TLP QoL Activist

I'm confused as to why you would say it was more than 3, then say you were there, but not give the correct number of mages...Am I missing something here? Why you gotta be so cryptic yo?
  18. Someduder New Member

Awww someone wants a abaishi's and cant get one easy. Nice try bro. QQ more bro
  19. Protocol Dragon Defender

NToV instance is def not in an ideal state atm, but this won't get real attention until Velious launch on Agnarr when 15 guilds are here posting about it.

Beyond the bugs, I found the zone to be distinctly not fun. A shame, given that this is a leisure hobby which we play to have fun.
  20. Mithra Augur

Requested the instance on Phinigel and Lord Vyemm is still missing. And yeah it was not fun...