What portion of a Mages dps comes from the pet?

Discussion in 'Casters' started by Sylence, Feb 23, 2019.

1. Sylence New Member

Well the question is pretty much in the title, but just to clairify:

In a typical grouping situation, what portion of the total mage dps comes from the pet vs spell casts from the mage? Obviously plenty of variables here, but just in general?

If you happend to know, how does that compare with Beastlords and Necros?
  2. Brohg Augur

Varies wildly based on the quality of the magician, from fully half to ... an eighth?
  3. Cicelee Augur

On raids I chain cast mod rods, so my pet does 100% of the DPS..
    Mintalie and Pirlo like this.
  4. Ibadan Kun'Tirel Augur

I'll try to take a look. It's significant, but I haven't parsed that particular detail.
  5. Phiyre Augur

Rather than asking what portion, may be better off asking how much dps at x lvl does a pet do. I've been grouped w/ mages who think they are there to send their pet, maybe a swarm pet, then afk until the next target. I'm the other extreme where I burn as much as I can w/o pulling aggro, use abilities/mods etc for mana. The first guy, pet will do majority of the damage. With me, pet does a small fraction..
    Honestly too many variables to give a legit answer.
  6. Aurastrider Augur

I primarily use the air pet. At 110 with just summoned crap on them they pretty consistently will do around 10k dps. I will some times run one earth pet in the mix and they seem to be in the 7k ballpark. Now this is while boxing so I am sure I am missing some kind of short reuse ability or buff that a main mage might use to increase their pets dps in which case these number would probably be higher but for just standard summoned gear and letting them beat a mob down these numbers are rather consistent on every parse I have run. I only have EM18 also if that makes a huge difference. Also note these numbers do not include the swarm pet dps.
  7. Ibadan Kun'Tirel Augur

Brohg has a pretty good sense. It varies wildly, depending on what you're doing, your gear, your aa's, etc. What you're doing and what you're trying to do, that is, context, matters a lot. You can push this number higher/lower as you wish, to some extent.

For me in the last 24 hours, my pet averaged about 85k dps, which was about 33% of my dps for the time.
    For my entire logfile, pets averaged 106k dps, which was about 56% of my dps... This combines solo play, raid play, group play, so it's really hard to get an accurate picture here. This is swarm pets + water pet, but also earth pet some of the time. This number also varies based on adps, etc. This also takes into account downtime, mobs I didn't help kill, etc. I'm guessing the 15-50pct range is pretty accurate. They can do a lot of dps, and depends on how much you're burning, hitting pet burns, robe clicks, etc.
  8. Aurastrider Augur

these numbers are with swarm pets added into the mix? I need to go back to the drawing board and figure out how to get more dps out of just my main pets if you are getting those kinds of numbers. On all 4 mages the actual pet is pretty consistent for me around 10k range (they all have names I gave them so they show up separate on the parse from my mages) and that's with all of my pet AA's maxed out through ROS. I rotate my burns which include my pet dps stuff and I have my robe attached to one of the burns as well. Are you using anything special for pet weapons? If so maybe this is where I am missing out on a ton of dps just using the summoned ones.
  9. Shan New Member

It depends on gear and AA. My own numbers aren't quite in Ibadan's range, but they don't surprise me either. For me, just grouping, no raiding, over 500 mobs in TBL, my mage pet did roughly 47% of my total damage. I'm a high AA mage with an EM24 EOK raid earring. Pet DPS (just pet, not swarm pets) clocked in at 65K DPS with total DPS for that 500 mob series at 138K. This is using only summoned pet weapons, but I also can't promise, I wasn't AFK part of the time or on my game for every mob in the series.

Your pet parses may be inaccurate. For example, if you're parsing from your mage and he stands back from the fight, he might miss pet damage. If you parse from your tank, you might get inaccurate numbers.

*I just noticed you have all your AAs maxed through ROS. Your numbers should be higher.
  10. Ibadan Kun'Tirel Augur

Yes this is with swarm pets. I can go back and look at just the main elemental pet. I thought you were asking what percent came from all pets.

Just elemental weapons (from different elements! I usually do wind/ice), sometimes raid buffed, sometimes self buffed. FBO/Robe click, Theft of Essence active, Burnout/Maloseniac Eminence, Arcane Distillect...

I'll give you just Laser next time I have a chance at home. It's definitely a bit less. And I really only use water/earth, except for when we need extra stuns on raids.
  11. Mintalie Augur

With the current top pet focus, it's pretty easy to keep water pets at 50k DPS without casting any aDPS. Significantly higher if using all the clickies and AA goodies or other support classes' aDPS.
  12. Tucoh Augur

Another important aspect is that against mobs with spell reflection (or stupid high spell resistance, which was a problem earlier in TBL but I think is nerfed now?), pets/swarm pets offer a physical damage method to mages that that wizards/enc don't really have (to my knowledge) and necros have much less of. So mages' pets offer a lot of versatility.
  13. Aurastrider Augur

any rough ballpark estimate what the difference between EM18 and the top EM(25?) is in terms of pet dps? I figured it would be big but curious of what actual rough increase it provides.

Also do water pets really pump out that much more dps than air pets? 10k vs 50k is pretty big but there is also the EM factor involved here when I am comparing these numbers. Would be interested to hear a comparison from someone who has parsed both pets with the same focus. I really only have the earth and air pet parsed at this point.
  14. Mintalie Augur

The extensive parsing I did to get the 50k number was with 25. Over the weekend I did some parsing with my new 27 and was averaging 53k.

I have no idea if it scales, but if it does you could assume that an 18 should get you just about 18k DPS.

Please note that these are dummy numbers, not actual numbers pulled from play time. Also, I have not done actual parsing with an air pet because I already know the DPS sucks, however I can really tell a significant downfall the rare occasions when I do pull out an air pet, or, god forbid, even worse with an earth pet.
  15. Ibadan Kun'Tirel Augur

Backstab damage is huge. Also should note that I also use EM27
    Mintalie likes this.
  16. Shan New Member

I used air pet for the longest time. A holdover from moloing. When I started grouping more, I switched to the water pet. Its fair to say you can expect to at least double your pet DPS with the water pet over the air pet. Never used the earth pet, but expect it's the same if not more dramatic. I didn't keep my parses, but I recall EM24 vs. EM18 (what I had) was about a 15% DPS bump. Others' mileage may vary.

Tanking is more subjective. I loved the tanking upgrade when I went to EM24. I felt I could really feel it and appreciate it. But I couldn't put a number on it. You've got three mages, put an earth on one, air on the second, and water on the third. Be fun to see the difference.

If your pets aren't tanking, go water 100%.
  17. Aurastrider Augur

I have always used air for the chain stun. Some mobs might not even get off an attack outside of the first hit. I will frequently pull with my sk and let them tank one while my mages burn it down and my sk keeps the other mobs busy. I just went back to finish up TDS so nothing really lives that long but when I get into more challenging content I will have to try a couple water pets to see how they compare.
  18. Brohg Augur

Wiz & Enc have nuke lines with specific non-reflectable property. For enchanters, it's their core Mindslash (+lower level analogues), so they only even notice that kind of defense if they're going for dots. For wizards, the Vortex & Cascade lines, which requires some attention to switch away from the usual plan.
    Tucoh and Sancus like this.