What persona combos are people planning on trying for the new server?

Discussion in 'Time Locked Progression Servers' started by Kahna, Mar 27, 2024.

1. Demetri Augur

And I believe the math always works out to buying more slots individually if you don't want the other xpac bonuses on the upgrades - they're $13.50 each in Daybreak Cash (or "free" for those that have DBC saved - but doing comparison based on those that don't have free DBC stashed) during normal subscribed times.

Edit Adding here: Also to clarify your last sentence the slots purchased via whatever means are account wide and exist on EVERY character. So for example if you have 3 persona slots, you could cover EVERY class in EQ across 4 different characters (remember personas a n+1 so even with "just" the base 3 you can have 4 classes - original + 3 extra), 7 can cover in 2, etc.

Wanted to clarify since often when we talk about things being "by character" they are one time things that are consumed and not usable on the next - personas are not that way.
    Yinla and code-zero like this.
  2. Kahna Augur

So... why would you respond to a thread about what persona combos you are planning on playing? I'm looking for ideas on ways people plan on utilizing the persona feature to enhance their gameplay, not what 6 box you plan on making.
    Vumad and filthytlpplayer like this.
  3. Exmortis_MT Augur

because I misread the thread, and just let it ride.
    Appren likes this.
  4. Kahna Augur

Fair enough
  5. Critt Augur

6. Kahna Augur

This is unlikely to be the game for you then, because there will be more changes going forward. Anticipate that they add some new QoL feature to TLPs every single year. Gotta do something to get the TLP folks to buy the expansion. I will just roll with the changes, because it is that or P99 etc and those are horrid.
  7. Critt Augur

I posted that in this thread by mistake but I will say this in response to you, I agree theses changes do make it not the game for me.. I enjoy a closer to classic EQ experience than what these recent so called TLP’s have been.. here’s hoping they remember that that’s what made Tlp popular to begin with.
  8. Kahna Augur

Meh, it fits in this thread as well as it would fit in the other one. I love the evolving nature of the TLPs. They can never bring back what EQ was, so I will enjoy what EQ is.
  9. ECrack Augur

Less convenient.
    Vetis likes this.
  10. ECrack Augur

This ^^^^^^^^^

I don't see how people don't grasp this. With Personas requiring to swap in a certain zone it is MORE convenient to just have an ALT or a BOX because they don't have this restriction, and with a box in particular the box can actually help you exp/faction/quest. Personas don't.

Personas have literally ONE upside, keys/flags. Everything else: Do a box/alt. PERIOD
    KobalWR, Vetis and code-zero like this.
  11. Kahna Augur

As discussed in the other thread, there is more than just keys/flags as a bonus. Especially on a non-free trade or heirloom server. Like, ya know, most of the EQ servers. And keys, flagging and slayer are a huge advantage. Saving you countless hours of work on your alts. Slayer achievements take weeks if not months to complete them all. And I already answered that comment with the many way personas had advantages over alt. We get it, you really want the switch anywhere thing to happen. It isn't going to.
  12. Vetis Augur

Did you though? I didn't see any good arguments on the other thread about personas in their current form other than keys/flagging.

I can't remember is Oakwynd heirloom? and Mischief was free trade... Seems to be a theme, I would imagine heirloom at a minimum will be the new norm for TLP's.

Also, you conveniently left out boxes. Because those will be getting the slayer achievement right along with your main. So, I say again:

Personas as is, LESS convenient than box/alts.
  13. Kahna Augur

I dislike boxing, as in I personally dislike doing it myself, not that I dislike boxing as a concept. Loading up a box and dragging them around with me is super annoying and inconvenient and I only do so if absolutely necessary to accomplish my goals. So I find boxes inconvenient compared to a persona. I play self sufficient classes so I don't need a box. I would rather swap to my shaman or mage person to make potions or pet toys and then swap back to my beast and the stuff is just in my inventory. Alts I have to log out and switch over then put the stuff in the shared back. Also inconvenient.

As for Oakwynd being Heirloom. They only put that in after folks complained up a storm that the Oakwynd rules were horrible. It was not, originally, part of their plan for the server. They also have even less incentive to put heirloom on any server moving forward because it would make personas less attractive and cut down on the sale of the expansion. (Though I do think there is a good chance that at least one of the servers moving forward has Mischief rules.) Do Mischief rules cut into the usefulness of personas? Sure. But I still find it more convenient to swap than to use an alt.

Additionally, most guilds only let you bid on alt for your main, regardless of free-trade or heirloom. I would rather be able to swap to a persona and have the gear that can be used on both classes right there in my inventory than have to swap it back and forth between an alt everytime I wanted to change.
  14. Vlorg Augur

If there's no heirloom loot on the new server / lockout per character instead of account, it would be really sad.

and if those 2 exist, there's no point to persona.
  15. Kahna Augur

To you. That does not hold for everyone. Even if these two things existed I would still prefer a persona to an alt.
  16. Vlorg Augur

why?

you still have to level both.
    Any gear you get on A can be used on B, no matter what.
    key'ing has been nerfed by 320985098% in early expension.
    You cannot do more than one lockout if you use persona.

and if you are a boxer, persona make even less sense.
  17. Kahna Augur

I have stated why numerous times in this thread and the other thread, but I will say it again.

- I have to level both, so what difference does that make?
    - If I end up playing on the new server I will have a Necro/Mage/Sham. The Necro and the mage, and even to some extend the shaman can share a fair amount of gear while leveling. I don't want to buy/acquire 3 pairs of GEBS, and I certainly don't want to share one pair of GEBs between 3 alts using the shared bank. With personas they can easily share one pair of GEBs.
    - Early game having 3-4 different origin points will make moving around the world much easier
    - Keying/flagging isn't just the early expansions. HoT flagging, for example, is a series of quests that I needed a group to do. I mostly solo/molo on Mischief, so only having to find a group to do those once was very nice. There are many expansions with long drawn out keying or flagging requirements after PoP. Even during PoP. No one likes backflagging for alts, now I don't have to worry about it. I can get my level 60 persona into PoF with my friends and level it up easy peasy.
    - I use a mage to summon pet toys for my beastlord main, it is nice not having to try to find somewhere to drop them and hope they are still there when I swap over, I just summon, swap back and go. Also, the Beast can use the Cauldron of Many Things, which is no drop even on Mischief. I use a shaman persona to craft myself potions, again, not having to use the shared bank to transfer them is nice. I don't have to shared bank or parcel my shaman alt all the alchemy mats I farm, just tuck them in the tradeskill depot and be done with it.
    - Speaking of tradeskills, I like to do them, and with personas I only have to do them once but I keep access to all of them on all characters.
    - When I raid, I don't care to raid more than twice a week so lockouts per character mean nothing to me. I am casual. I also don't play on Oakwynd so all my lockouts are account wide anyway.
    - I prefer not to box, but if I do it is typically just a bard box I drag along melodying. Maybe a druid if I want to PL another persona, nothing I would ever want to main. I prefer to play a class with enough tools that I don't need a box. Typically Necro or Beastlord
    - I am currently working my way through the slayer achievement. I will be very happy not to have to do this again, but still benefit on my other classes
    - I like keeping my name. Is it a silly reason? Maybe, but it is how I feel.

Is that enough reasoning?
  18. Yinla Ye Ol' Dragon

You don't have to use them if you don't want to, unlike FTE it isn't forced on anyone.

I for one have seen the advantages of creating a persona over an alt. Tradeskills will be a lot easier for me if I don't need to keep switching to other alts or logging a box in for those combines which require other tradeskills.

I love playing alts, so this way I can play any class and stil be progressing my main with slayer achievements. I can have multi level paths and can get more slayer done, without killing too many grey mobs, which gets boring.

As I said at the start of this thread my first personas will cover all the tradeskills. Below is my full list of personas I'm aiming for, the monk will be the last created as Drakkin comes with TSS.
    Druid Halfling
    Enchanter Eurdite
    Rogue Gnome
    Shaman Iksar
    Ranger Wood elf
    Beastlord Vah Shir
    Cleric High Elf
    Magician Human
    Necromancer Dark elf
    Bard Half elf
    Shadow Knight Oger
    Paladin Dwarf
    Warrior Troll
    Wizard Froglok
    Bezerkers Barbarian
    Monk Drakkin

If we start in classic the druid will be the main until Kunark when it will switch to Shaman and then to Beastlord with Luclin. I know this means I cannot do Alchemy until Kunark, but thats ok I will have enough to do skilling up all the other skills.

It is a rough order, the cleric, mage and necro may happen before Luclin and the ranger may happen before Kunark. It will depend on what time I have, they may all get created and leveled to 5 for the use of origin. It depends how they all pan out.

If I decide to box, it is likely to be an SK and a monk/bard we will see. Kunark is going to be my quest time and I'm starting to make plans for that. If the server has enough of a Euro playerbase I may not bother with boxing, at least at the start.

I just need the rulesets now to finalise my plans.
  19. Doezit Lorekeeper

Heirloom doesn't matter to personas since no transfer is required.
    I think DPG should consider offering more 40 slot bags, maybe 4 available instead of the usual 2. The persona players would buy them to haul gear and thus more income for DPG.
  20. DeadRagarr Augur

Box characters have one major difference. It cost more actual money and continues to cost more every month. Which is more impactful to me than anything else

Alt chars, at that point have one major upside, you can take them to spots and camp them. However I have had many alts.

The amount of times I have joined a group in chardok -> Ran to chardok -> Then immediately told my group "Hey guys lemme log off and run my alt who's parked in Overthere/FV/Freeport to Chardok because I might potentially maybe use it to replace our healer maybe" Well that's exactly zero.

Most groups either just replace/wait/etc. The issue honestly has never been about swapping anywhere or not, but the system of getting replacements into dungeons faster. The answer has always been a group campfire system <Obviously no stats, just to click in a replacement role> built in. Doubt it will ever happen though.