What merc to use with berserker class

Discussion in 'The Newbie Zone' started by Margot Heart, Mar 8, 2018.

1. Margot Heart Elder

Hey! Im using a tank atm and im at lvl59.
    The class felt very strong up to maybe level 45-50 or so, but at this level the character feels pretty weak . Tried killing spiders in The steppes but it took several minutes to kill just one , tried going to blackfeather roost and got killed by a named bear and his friend .
    How can i improve ?
    And is leveling solo +merc this slow?
    Any advice or ideas is aporeciated!
    Thanks
    Margot Heart
  2. Aurastrider Augur

Since I don't know much about zerkers ability to tank I might suggest posting something under the class discussion section. You might get more looks from people who play a zerker there and have an idea of their abilities. My guess is they are not going to be a great solo/molo class but if you could tank with a healer merc up your dps should kill a lot of mobs. On the flip side if you are using a tank merc already and they are surviving and you are still struggling this might just slow down things since you would lose their dps.

Now if you don't object to adding a box toon to the mix a melody bard or a mage would provide you with a more rounded group. You could use mage pet to tank, a healer and wiz merc and still have your zerker to dps. Combine that with some easy mage macros and life will become much easier for you.
    Margot Heart likes this.
  3. Margot Heart Elder

I was going to try to reach lvl110 but at this pace i dont know .
    Its so hard to find groups too .
    Maybe its easier on one of the more popular servers like FV ? Im on AB now .
    I think i will loose intrest if i have to solo all the way up to 110 and it will problably take months too from here with the leveling being this slow .
    Maybe i need to find other zones? I also upgraded all my gear recently and should have a pretty good set lvl59 gear in most slots i think
  4. Margot Heart Elder

Thanks! I dont want to box.
    Maybe its easier to get groups on a more populated server ?
  5. Aurastrider Augur

I only play on Tunare so I can't speak for the other live servers but I assume finding groups on any of them at the low levels is going to be difficult. Also if you are not a euro player I might suggest a different server (nothing against the people but the server itself has been riddled with technical and performance issues).

I don't see zerkers coming up on the "what class can solo/molo" list very frequently if at all so this might be an issue. Again I would post in the class discussion section to see if this is even something that is realistic in a reasonable time frame.

If it is not going to be feasible within the time frame you would like you have a couple of options to consider before you give up. Consider going the heroic route (although you will probably have the same issue only slightly better grouping odds), considering a class change, or consider boxing.

With the number of new and returning players posting on the forums it would be nice if there was a newbie server to increase peoples grouping odds. It would not have to be a "new server" but just a designated server where new people start out unless they want to start on a specific server.
    Margot Heart likes this.
  6. Thoxsel Djess' Pet Warrior

Get one of each and you can pop whatever you will need/want.
    Margot Heart likes this.
  7. Quatr Augur

The J1 tank merc is overpowered between 10 and 60. It can take on even, yellow and even some red cons without heals. Around level 60 things change. Mobs hit harder and the tank merc's innate regeneration can no longer keep up. It can still take you to 70ish if you choose your hunting grounds carefully -- Grieg's End, Droga, etc -- but The Steppes and higher level TSS zones will be difficult.

Most melee characters switch to healer mercs around that level. Buy a few stacks of haste potions, invis potions, poisons and you should be all set for many levels. A steady diet of blues in selected zones will take you far. Single pulling will be an issue without a puller, but that's just life as a soloist.
    Margot Heart likes this.
  8. ntellect Augur

You have reached the next stage of the game. Around your level is when you want to consider having a healer merc since you are a DPS and don't posses the mitigation skills of a tank to soak damage.

You can also try to group up with other players.

The roost and steppes I've always found to have stronger mobs with higher xp. You can also consider going to older zones where your damage output is more useful. Take a look at Bastion of thunder or The Hole in paineel. There are others, but those were my favorites. Low HP soft hitting mobs I could just mow for great XP.

From now until about 85-90 you will have to be more selective in the zones you visit and concentrate on light blue cons (you can try dark blue).

I tell my friends don't get lost in the leveling. This game is called EVER quest for a reason. Go out and explore, focus on developing your seeker, getting unique gear and pieces. I've found focusing on that makes the slow leveling a bit more fun.
    Margot Heart likes this.
  9. Filter Augur

I played a zerker from 1 to 92 molo (cleric merc after lvl 65 since tank mercs ae so over powered until then). This was slow going until I got level appropriate gear to make the mobs hit for less with high ac and best heroics possible. I spent a lot of time camping things and purcahsed best group gear I could for each level but that got expensive. Once I got to ROS, I could not solo a thing so I had to group or pull out one of my many bots. From 92 to 100 I really didn't molo because I wanted to get him up to speed fast so I PL'd him with my ranger. At 105 and the best group gear you can get, you can molo in FM but I had all of my defense aa's.
    Personally, you just aren't going to do much with a zerker molo because they're pure dps and aren't good tanks unless geared with raid gear. If I were you, I would make a bard for adps to your zerker so it's SUPER simple. One toon would have a tank merc and the other a healer merc. Get J5 mercs as soon as you hit 85 because it makes a world of difference.
    Margot Heart likes this.
  10. Margot Heart Elder

Thanks alot i found a good spot to level at : Plane of innovation , havent played much but got my character to lvl60 what would be a good place to level at 60? Should i continue killing Robots in this place?
    Also created a mage on FV :)
  11. moogs Augur

You made a wise decision: moving to a much older zone. The Steppes and Blackfeather Roost are from EQ's 12th expansion (The Serpents Spine, September 2006). Plane of Innovation is from EQ's 4th expansion (Planes of Power, October 2002).

A level 60 mob in one zone is not necessarily the same as a level 60 mob in another zone. Older expansions' mobs have far fewer HP and attack values, so going backwards in time (and still making great xp) is usually a great way to get through the spots where it takes more than a couple of minutes to kill something.

Just going to add this as a reference. You can look up each expansion on eq.zam.com to get a list of level-appropriate zones to explore.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/EverQuest#Expansions
  12. minimind The Village Idiot

I went from 1-55ish solo (not molo) prior to days of Defiant gear and mercenaries. I found it important to pull with snare, take down some HP using throwing axes, stun, and then swing around the back for non-avoided hits to kill things quickly.

I would personally suggest the older expansions for the level you need while using a cleric merc. The Allakazaam level chart is great for figuring out where you want to go next. (http://everquest.allakhazam.com/db/zlvlchart.html) Older expansion mobs don't hit as hard and have less AC which means you can kill more quickly with less risk. And stay away from zones with lots of giants (immune to stun). That said, I remember spending a lot of time in Plane of Innovation due to the concentration of mobs and the respawn.

Were you on Luclin, I'd personally twink you out and hook you up with as much of the epic quest items as possible (if not personally walk you through your 1.0) simply because I love seeing people get to know the zerk.
  13. slayerofbats Augur

I gets a lot slower, and really boring :(
    Margot Heart likes this.
  14. Margot Heart Elder

If i could find a group to level with from time to time it would be fine but making the grind molo all the way to 110 i dont know if it can keep me intrested .
    I will try Coirnav tho hope it is better there .And maybe i will try moving my character to Fiona Vie .
    A mmorpg shouldnt be played solo at almost all times like it is for me now imo.
    Gundolin likes this.
  15. Aurastrider Augur

another thing you might want to consider is making a new toon on all of the servers (yes less than ideal) and then logging each in asking around if others would be interested in grouping up (an alternative would be broadcasting on your server to the other servers general chat channels and probably a better method). Maybe you will find some peeps on another server who are in the level range you are in and are also looking for a steady group during your playing time. Would be a little bit of work but might pay off if you find others stuck in the same situation as you. This might require a fresh restart but maybe the other person(s) will be willing to start over at level 1 with you and you guys can level up as one.
    Margot Heart likes this.
  16. slayerofbats Augur

They really messed this game up. They knew they weren't attracting new players so they dumbed everything down, added pay to win options in the shop, gave mercs so anyone could solo, and called it a day. They think they did the right thing because technically you could solo all the way to 105/110 when the grouping starts, but they forgot to ask themselves who in their right mind would spend many months soloing through such a boring grind alone.

FV might be better because they XP is a bit faster although I don't know whether the grouping situation at the top levels would be worth playing. I considered it but decided against it. I also wondered about just playing on the Test server because you can get the better mercs and some other perks that way, without having to pay. But then there would be nobody to play with once you do finally reach end game. Basically for me personally, there are no servers worth playing.

p.s. I got to level 88 but the grind becomes too slow. The exp from "HA's" is better but it soooo boring to do the exact same boring dungeon 1000 times just to level up. They needed to come up with much better ideas to get people playing together, like a mentoring system like Vanguard had, and ideally some way to bring in new players. But they took the easy option and now the game suffers because of it.
    Margot Heart likes this.
  17. Aurastrider Augur

To be fair the player base is just as much to blame as the company. Players started to leave in the masses for what they perceived as bigger and better MMO's regardless of if they were actually better there was this idea that the grass is always greener. In response we have what we have to help people make full groups with said mercs. HC's were introduced when the level cap was 100 and at the time they were a reasonable way to get people back into the group game but currently they are to far behind to server that purpose reliably. I love returning players but at the same time anyone who left help to create the problem at hand and cant expect to come back xx amount of years later and expect for things to be the same as they were when they left (please note I also left EQ for an extended period of time for college but still own up to helping create these issues as being someone who left the game although I continued to pay my account through most of college and log in a couple times a year).

I do agree that there could and should be a better system for grouping and not just at the lower levels. I have heard of some games utilizing cross server grouping and maybe even raiding which would be pretty amazing if they could come up with a system like this. I think for this game to survive another 20 years they need to figure out a solution to this problem.
    Margot Heart likes this.
  18. Dahaman Augur

- Upgrade your weapon to the best it can be. This is the most important thing. The better weapon ratios in the upper 60s to 70s range is what will keep you XPing faster.

- Don't try to tackle too high level of mobs. Mowing thru light blues to dark blues can be quite satisfying. You will generate more loot per level and have less rest time and more action time.

- Turn on AA-Autogrant. This will save you a ton of time as you go. Be sure to hotkey everything and use all of those discs as often as you can.

- Level 61 gives you /autoskill. I hope that it works with Flurry for you.

- I'd recommend a healer merc and just slaughter with impunity. Let it tank for you if you get multiples.
    Margot Heart and Quatr like this.
  19. Gundolin Augur

60-85'ish is tough, your merc is no longer overpowered and groups are very hard to find on a live server. I past the time in chatting with people in Guild and general since there were very few groups available. Sometimes when chatting someone would say, oh hey I have a level "x" character lets go to "y". But usually it was just chatting while we solo'd separately. I also picked up a few power levels without asking, lots of friendly people out there who want to help.

I think I molo'd Corathus Creep mostly for the mid 60's. And then moved into the Undershore. Lots of easy places to get single pulls.
    Margot Heart likes this.
  20. Jubura New Member

If you arent in a guild i would try to find a casual one. There are enough on AB altho there are also a lot of alt guilds so ask around =)

Depending on your location AB might not be the best server to be on as its mainly Euro times.
    Margot Heart likes this.