What is your ideal group?

Discussion in 'The Newbie Zone' started by Mittensworth, Dec 23, 2014.

1. Mittensworth New Member

Hiya. I'd love to hear peoples opinions on what their ideal group would be? Specifically, if you had five friends you were regularly playing with from level 1 onwards, and the group focus is on grinding experience together (not taking down the biggest named at as low a level as possible or anything).

If you could hand pick all six classes, what would you rather have? Would you personally prefer a melee heavy group? Caster heavy group? Any unique playstyle or strange group composition you think works really well for you?
  2. Mittensworth New Member

I'm kind of new to the game still, but I'd really like to have a caster-heavy group. I was thinking...

Paladin- Possibly the easiest tank to get single target hate (or so I've read).
    Druid- Can heal, nuke, and snare. Seems like a better choice than cleric or shaman for this group. Also gets mana regen on higher level skin buffs, right?
    Enchanter- Mana regen, caster buffs, slow, CC, nuking, and pulling
    3 Wizards (or Mages)- Great nuking to quickly burn through mobs. Wizards can root or snare if needed.

Seems like it would be fun to play together, and if we need a med break, we can chat for a bit since everyone is on the same page.
  3. complexication Kassina

I've played with the same group of friends since I started last year, and our usual group make up consists of

My SK for tanking power (though that's a joke in itself these days)
    Zerker for Melee DPS (their decapitate = <3 )
    Ranger for Range pulls/buffs/token dead guy
    Necromancer for Caster DPS
    Wizard for Caster DPS
    and a Cleric or Cleric Mercenary for the healing power.

Mercenary may seem pathetic when it comes to a group of five, but the mercenary's spells alongside all my lifetaps/passive group heal aa's/etc keep us alive well enough.
  4. Ravengloome Augur

Paladin cleric bard beast lord wizard and 1 more dps. Basically my fellowship group + a random guildie. With the bard/beast melee or a caster benefits, so we take who ever is lfg.
  5. guado Augur

Enc Dru Mag Wiz Wiz Wiz
    or
    War Clr Dru Enc Mag Wiz

That 2nd one is hellafun.
  6. Mintalie Augur

Warrior, Cleric, Enchanter, Mage, Wizard, Wizard
  7. Roxxanna Augur

3 Clerics/3 Wizzys
  8. Belkar_OotS Augur

In general I prefer groups with a lot of diversity and strong utility.

I would probably always include cleric and enchanter, then a tracker/snare/CC, a porter, a tank, mage (CoH and pet).

One of my favorite groups to go into brand new unexplored content without any spoilers was cleric, mage, warrior, enchanter, ranger, bard. I never ran into a situation that this group couldn't win. All forms of damage, all forms of CC and solid tanking healing. I could see swapping out the Warrior for a knight for sure. But there are lots of functional groups that cover my basic bases.
  9. Raptorjesus5 Augur

My ideal group is 6 real players. Doesn't even matter what classes.

;)
    Wylder likes this.
  10. Battleaxe Augur

What the ideal group was would depend on what class one happened to play. Given 6 people starting from scratch, the ideal group would still depend on any who had preferences.

As unlikely to happen as it is that 6 people would agree to play whatever I dictated, all log in dependably, and play those classes well -

Cleric
    SK
    Bard
    Rogue
    Berserker
    maybe Ranger

While I wouldn't ignore DPS, I'd want utility like iron clad pulling when needed, tracking, CC, the ability to split into 2-3 player groups and add 3 mercs to each on occasion too. My feeling is the group I listed would seldom need to look for outside help when facing a special situation.

I'd be equally happy with -
    Cleric
    Warrior
    Enchanter
    Druid
    Wizard
    Wizard

Unless you are swarming you are more limited by the distance of pulls and repop rate than DPS and mana consumption.
  11. Brenden McMarrin Apprentice

Shadow Knight
    Cleric
    Beastlord
    Berserker
    Rogue
    Shaman
  12. Sancus Augur

Shadow Knight -- or -- Paladin (not enough experience to choose)
    Druid
    Enchanter
    Magician
    Wizard
    Magician -- or -- Wizard
  13. Battleaxe Augur

I think most experienced players would agree that the group listed above is The Most Ideal Group.

It has good pulling, and great healing and DPS - especially burst DPS. While it doesn't have good CC, great DPS can very quickly convert a bad pull into something manageable - the SK tanking multiple mobs, the Beastlord's pet tanking a mob, and DPS reducing the number of mobs in camp rapidly.

The first group I listed is similar. Great pulling, healing, and DPS (but less DPS than the above). It's advantage is better pulling (not necessarily needed), CC, headshot/assassinate, and maybe better sustained.

The second group I listed is perhaps superior in a congested dungeon crawl - less likely to be overwhelmed and able to get out of Dodge should things go badly (Evac/Succor) while still able to produce high DPS.

(I believe that a group relying on spells and abilities will generally out perform one that's highly reliant on gear. For exanple - it's harder to get a great backstabbing weapon than a will do the job/purchased from a vendor Rk. I heal spell or nuke.)

The advantage of flexability is flexability . The advantage of greater focus on core capability, like DPS, is superiority in that facet. All of these groups are playable and will perform well in a wide range of content. They just have a different "feel" when played.
  14. Harris Augur

I like the idea of any people that like to group, seems like most are happy boxing or what ever these days. but if i was to choose....
    Warrior
    Cleric
    Shaman
    Monk
    Enchanter
    Magician
    It may not have the best DPS but over all it would be a group that could basically do anything.
  15. Sathayorn Augur

Warrior
    Druid
    Enchanter
    Magician
    Wizard
    Cleric

It's all about synergy... And the second tank for those missions where just one isn't appropriate.

Could swap Wizard for Beastlord or Ranger.
  16. Fantomah Journeyman

It definitely depends on what you're fighting. Obviously, the holy trilogy should be present (with an extra nod toward crowd control). It's actually a very stupid question.

It's like asking: "What's the BEST day ever?" It's conditional. Blue skies, strangers being nice to each other, PUKE.
  17. silku Augur

For most group stuff I prefer Paladin, Cleric, Enchanter, Wizard, Wizard, Wizard(mage).
  18. Suffer Lorekeeper

Sk
    Dru
    Bard
    Zerker
    Beast
    Rogue

No pulling required, just bum rush groups of mobs and dominate :)
  19. Fenudir Augur

Trick question. The best day ever is always today. You meta-physical types will get that one.

And since I chimed in...

Pally
    Druid
    Chanter
    Mage
    Wizard x2
  20. Zaknaffein Augur

Me, playing my Warrior and bard, and then 4 other players who know what they are doing.