What are your keybinds like? Some thoughts of mine

Discussion in 'The Veterans' Lounge' started by Necromonious, Feb 24, 2015.

1. Necromonious Augur

I've played a lot of MMO's, each for different reasons. I played WoW for the pvp (EQ's certainly is pretty borked)...at one time holding rank1 worldwide for 5v5 during WoW's tbc expansion. I got gladiator (top 1-2% ranked for your server grouping) a couple times, and would usually be above 2400-2800 in 3v3 and 5v5...for anyone that was into that game's competitive pvp scene. I always used to say to people asking for pvp advice, to make sure to hotkey absolutely everything. At the time, I was using roughly 55 keybinds, using them so often that they felt more natural than typing.

In Everquest, for a long time, I only used the alt+number shortcuts for spells, and the number keys 1-5 for the first 5 of my abilities. I did this because the game felt slower and more relaxed, and it was PvE. But after a while, I started drifting towards my old WoW keybind schema using the letters around the movement keys and the shift+versions of these. Within the past few months of returning, I have finished fleshing out my binds in a way that not only gets every important ability bound but also correlates between the chars I box in a similar way. It has greatly helped not only my reaction times, dps, and overall relaxation and enjoyment of the game. Maybe kind of a "dur" moment, but nevertheless...

Some suggestions for anyone looking to get most everything bound:

- Obviously, Q, E, R, T, Z, C, F, and G (X is awkward for me, some may say Z is awkward for them) are the closest, fastest, and easiest keys to reach. I prefer to bind these (and the shift+these) to abilities that get heavy use, require fast reaction time, and can be fired while moving (or have very fast cast times)

- Number keys 1-5 (and X, and/or Z) require moving fingers off the movement keys more, and are generally a bit slower for me than the letters. These work well for abilities with cast times, anything where you have to plant your feet and cast. Obviously, the further you go from 1, the generally less use that bind should have (I don't even stretch out past 6 with my fingers, I click). I personally keep Shift+1-5 for long cooldown AA's, keeping spire and other abilities both characters have to the same binding, to better help my brain keep up during hectic pulls

I'm sure most veterans have most things bound, do you guys find yourselves binding in similar ways?
    Ferry-Tunare likes this.
  2. Momentum Elder

Similar to you, I use the keys around WASD for important abilities - mezzes, multibinds, burns, assist, and I generally keep individual spells on the top number keys (force of habit). I use (cntrl, alt, shift) numpad for stuff I don't have space on the main keyboard for.