what are the death penalties?

Discussion in 'The Newbie Zone' started by DragoonDirk, Sep 27, 2013.

1. DragoonDirk New Member

Hi,

I am curious on what the current death penalties are in EQ, and what has changed regarding that from about 10 years ago? How much do you lose with no rezzes, and what are the partial exp loss from the different rezzes? Something I came across only mentioned that you could get your corpse summoned to an npc somehow if you are having problems locating or getting to your corpse in a zone. Can the corpse get rezzed from there, if not is the exp loss negligible, or is there still a hefty exp loss? And where is this place, in POK? I remember grinding outside of KC and a couple of wipes could mean no exp gain if you were grinding for hours. Also, can people still de-level from it? One more thing, at what lvl do you have to loot your corpse rather than safely re-spawning with your gear on you?

Google brought me to an article on EQ Next, which was a good read of the risk vs reward. Made me think of the varying levels of difficulty of the game as people travel through higher lvl zones to get to another low lvl zone when some classes aren't as well equipped to handle getting through say with invis or sow - not that it was impossible, ppl just /ooc for sow every second back then in EC. Off tangent now but was a good read in that it compared risk vs reward in a scenario of going against an orc chief. Not all deaths really happen that way. I'd say a large amount is from people travelling from zone to zone, while exploring(from a casual gamer's perspective). One can't really say, well you knew it was this dangerous, now you have to pay this hefty price, the same as going into an instance against any boss." So in this sense, how does a casual gamer prepare for this returning back to EQ when there is probably going to be less population per zone or less healers? Carry a big stick, 2box a rezzer, bring friends, or out-level the area?
  2. Sebekiz New Member

The amount of experience you lose varies depending upon your level (in the 60s to 70 I believe it's less than 8% regular experience, but may be mistaken) but rezzes are available up to 96% via spells, and clerics get a 100% AA rez with a long recast time, IIRC.

Corpses can be summoned in-zone using spells/abilities. Alternately you can visit the corpse summoners in the Guild Lobby. A merchant nearby will sell you a soulstone. The type of stone you need, and the cost, varies with your level. Turn in an appropriate level stone to a summoner and every corpse you have in-game will be summoned to your location. You can then have someone rez each one to recover your lost experience. If you ever spend some time in a raiding guild, you're gauranteed to be on a first name basis with all of these NPCs.

As for de-leveling, that can still happen. If you want to stop to grind AAs, you should probably get a buffer in to your target level (I prefer 10 to 20%) to be safe.

As for travelling, a little preparation makes all the difference. You can research a bit to find relatively safe routes and remember to pick up some potions (SoW and Invis or IVU) if you can't cast these spells for yourself. Worst case, if your get caught in a relatively empty zone and can't feign or mez or root or otherwise fend off the mobs, join the "EQ track team" (regular meetings at the entrance to Karnor's Castle) and hope that you survive to the next zone line. But try to make sure you don't dump your dozens of new bestest frenemies on some other unsuspecting traveller!

And just remember, death isn't that big a deal. After all, it's rumored that EQ is just a game. :)
  3. pk76 Augur

Deaths are not a big deal now , you can summon corpse in lobby and get rezed there pretty easy,

i remember many years ago , our 1st trip to plane of fear for our guild , we wipe at zone in .....
    there was no lobby so we had to run back every time ( naked , because our items stayed at corpses ).

we wiped at zone in fully equipped, no need to say ,to try to enter there naked was even harder :eek: --->> after 16 hours , and many deaths , we asked another guild to help us to get our corpses back and rezed .................ahhh those old days , we will never forget :rolleyes:
  4. Belthil New Member

Since it hasn't been directly answered yet, you no longer leave your gear on your corpse at any level - you will always respawn with your gear on you no matter what level you are.

As for the xp penalty, it was cut in half at some point long long ago but hasn't changed since then. It's likely very similar to what you remember. That said, as others have mentioned you can almost always find a 96% rez these days by summoning your corpse in the guild lobby zone. If you have a journeyman merc, they'll be able to rez your corpse with a 96% rez also assuming you are level 56+. Apprentice mercs max out at 90% rez.
  5. DragoonDirk New Member

Very informative. Thank you all. It sounds like I'll have an easier time than I thought I would. I'm having swaying feelings on some of it like the rezzing with gear on, the convenience of the Guild lobby and being rezzed by mercs. Not the old EQ I knew and missed to the point I came back for it, but it will in time save me the woes of olden days.
  6. Quatr Augur

Yes, it makes exploring much less stressful. BTW, there is a Veteran reward that lets you summon and rez all of your resurrectable corpses once every 4 days, give or take. And since mercs are so cheap to hire these days (the price was greatly reduced when EQ went F2P), even if you are using a tank or DPS merc and have only one merc slot, you can always dismiss the current merc, hire a healer merc, have him rez you, then dismiss him and hire the original merc again.