Water pet backstabbing potential issue?

Discussion in 'Casters' started by Cicelee, Dec 18, 2018.

1. Cicelee Augur

I could be remembering wrong, or I could just be plain wrong...

I thought water pets could backstab regardless of position on a mob. If it was positioned on the back, there was a higher chance of a backstab.

If this philosophy is true, then I think there might be something wrong with it in TBL. I have been sending water pet on mobs while in a group, and have noticed there has been no backstabs. I have pet melee filtered into another window with just the number so I can see, and the highest amount I would see is 26173 (RS critical melee hit). However when I would relocate the pet to behind the mob, then I would see an occasional backstab hit.

Now I have no numerical data, no concrete proof or anything. Just what I have seen. But it *feels* like a water pet attacking a mob from the front is not backstabbing. Either that, or it has never been able to do so... or I just got incredibly unlucky with at least 50-100 mobs where a pet has not backstabbed. Which seems highly unlikely to me, but... EQ.
  2. Piemastaj Augur

This only applies (or should pending no bugs) if the pet has weapons equipped.

That is essentially the only thing weapons do for our pets, allow them to backstab from any area on the mob.
  3. Cicelee Augur

I am 99.99% positive the pet had weapons in its hands. If anything, this leads me to want to test and check this out when the game is back up and I am in a group...
  4. Vizier Augur

I've known for a long time water pets only BS from the front, I noticed it on the combat dummies immediately. THis is so they can still do DPS and tank.
  5. IblisTheMage Augur

Whut?
    Sancus and Pirlo like this.
  6. Corydon Augur

You gotta be kidding, mate. I won't argue that water pets do backstab from the front (I don't know) but I will never believe they backstab from the front only. Makes no sense at all. Also, in that case, they should rename the skill to frontstab ;-)
  7. mackal Augur

8. Vizier Augur

Test it for yourself, takes about 1 minute on a combat dummy.
  9. Tucoh Augur

You better not be right!!
  10. Vizier Augur

I thought this was common knowledge or I'd have shared earlier...
  11. Sancus Augur

It’s simply inaccurate. Without weapons water pets backstab from only the back, and with weapons they backstab from all angles (including, but not limited to, the front). Just like Pie said.
  12. Vizier Augur

Just went and tested it again myself, you are correct, all angles.
  13. IblisTheMage Augur

Quadruple mastery only take you so far...

Tucoh and Sancus like this.
  14. Cicelee Augur

So last night I was doing some of the TBL missions with a weapon equipped water pet. I saw some backstage throughout the night, even when I purposely has it in the front.

So either I just missed them the other day, or the pet did not have weapons. Either way, I am just glad it is working.
  15. Vizier Augur

A true master never stops learning, and can admit when he/she is wrong. I'm not sure what you call this public humiliation thing you are doing...but knock it off. Why can't gamers have back and forth debates without this crap.
  16. menown Augur

Not to sound rude, but because it is not a debate. This has been widely known public knowledge for mages and necros. Posted several times among several people in several websites.
  17. IblisTheMage Augur

Because you argued against a dissident/dicho improvement, claimed that mages are op, and bragged about your compence level. I am petty that way.
    Pirlo likes this.
  18. Vizier Augur

Being incorrect about one thing doesn't invalidate other points. I feel like mages are the strongest class, and I'm not alone lol. I could care less about the dicho spell, it's not worth a slot to me but you mileage may vary. Attack me personally all you want I will stand on logic, and if I am wrong I will admit I am wrong.
  19. Tucoh Augur

If you say things like, "I've mastered the mage class" and then get something very basic wrong, you pretty much have to take the licks that are sure to come in stride if you want to ever be taken seriously again. If not, you just come off as being more invested in being seen as right than actually being right.
    Brohg, IblisTheMage and Pirlo like this.