[warrior] newbie warrior solo tips/gear

Discussion in 'Tanks' started by Zspark, Dec 18, 2013.

1. Zspark New Member

Hi. I'm pretty much a noob, and chose a warrior(yuck!). I actually love my character and am having a blast. However as many of you know, warriors are very slow when it comes to soloing. I will always try to group first, but due to my erratic play schedule I do not always have the option to group. So I wanted to ask some questions to make my solo/moll as good as possible. Currently I am level 54.

1. What merc is best? Healer, tank, dps?
    2. Any guide as to good locations to go for levels 54-65?
    3. Any tips on strategy?
    4. What are some good items that may make my life a bit easier?
    5. When should I stop and get some AAs ? Which ones?
    6. Any other advice you can think of?

I appreciate any tips or information given. Thank you for being such a wonderful community!
  2. Battleaxe Augur

1. I'm told that up until around level 70 a tank merc without healing can get experience for any class. There are other possibilities:
    a. Healer merc - with you tanking your skills will keep pace with your level.
    b. Box a FtP Bard. Use a healer merc and a tank or DPS merc.

2. The hotzones are generally OK and you might want to do the Daily Tasks. The Hole and, the Farm including the quests, and Beza or Mechanical Guardian are particularly good at the appropriate levels and with a group (at some point you'll be able to molo them)..

3.You are usually better off being overgeared and doing easier content than undergeared and doing harder content. Use damage shields.

4. potions, Silken Whip of Ensnaring, Truncheon of Doom.

5. I suggest getting them as you go along focusing on defensive related AA's and those that increase how often you swing. When you find a zone where AA's come easily, linger - get more AA's than you would normally in preference to leveling for awhile.

6. Browse The Steel Warrior forum (thesteelwarrior.org). Join a larger family or casual guild. Check out the easy aug list on Evil Gamer at around level 65.
  3. Yther Augur

Personally, I switch to healer at 65 on a War, just so I can do the Farm. Tank merc at 65 can't do it without heals, and a real warrior may be able to solo with potions, but it's very difficult. It's not even great molo at 65, but the quest exp bonus makes up for the kill slower kill rate, and it's a good place to find / make groups that make it faster / easier.

Battleaxe had pretty great advice. The zones Beza and Mech Guardian will be too hard for a while (65-70 at min. with a good group doing the tanking). Other places, I like Greig's End also at your level, and the tank merc does very good there without help, and it goes even faster when you do help. Also, it's a good place to take aggro every once in a while to help keep the merc's health up and work on your defensive skills. Or if it's easy enough, tank all the time, and put the merc on Assist stance and just use alot of potions as needed.

https://forums.station.sony.com/eq/index.php?posts/5623/ is a good starter AA guide for levels 51-59 and the core AAs to get even if you wait a little longer to get any. As a tank though, getting the critical ones along the way is important to keep content from overpowering you by level too fast without AAs.

Set up audio triggers for the snare and slow proc's on your weapons, and use the Bandolier to speed up switching weapon sets to help keep your DPS up.

If you're poor, the Hero's Journey (/ach in-game command) offers level appropriate defiant gear and weapons to help keep you geared up. If you can afford it or get help or see something rotting in /general, there are alot better weapons than defiant ratio-wise (Damage / Delay for DPS) and procs (for aggro).

For some reason I feel I'm still forgetting the 2nd thing I wanted to say (AA guide was the main thing). Oh well, I'll just stop and hope it comes to me in less than 30minutes to edit it in. :)

Yther Ore.
  4. Dre. Altoholic

Don't solo/molo, it you will hate your life. Start up a second account so you can box two characters, or roll a soloable alt for times you can't get a group on your Warrior. You'll enjoy EverQuest a lot more when you're not forcing yourself to do something that sucks. Take this into consideration for my responses to your questions.

1. What merc is best? Healer, tank, dps?
    Healer, then find other LFG people to fill out your group. A warrior and a merc is a sad excuse for a group. Six capable characters formed around a natural leader is a force to be reckoned with.

2. Any guide as to good locations to go for levels 54-65?
    54-60: Charasis, Sebillis or hotzones
    60-65: Hole, Nadox, Bastion of Thunder or hotzones

3. Any tips on strategy?
    Your goal as a tank is to keep mobs hitting you and not other people. Focus on that, rather than making stuff dead. I know way too many tanks who think they are DPS classes. If you keep mobs in front of you, they do less damage because you can parry and riposte attacks, so try to do that as much as possible. Riposte deals extra damage as well. This is part of what we call 'positioning' and it is an important thing for any tank to learn.

4. What are some good items that may make my life a bit easier?
    Weapons that have stun or agro procs. Weapon augs that have stun or agro procs. Cobalt Greaves and Cobalt Bracer for invisibility and shrink. Consumables help too - Haste potions, Damage Shield potions, Healing potions and Cloudy Potions. Spider's Bite/Scorpion's Agony poisons.

5. When should I stop and get some AAs ? Which ones?
    You'll want to max these as soon as possible and keep them current as you level: Combat Agiltiy, Combat Stability, Weapon Affinity. Grab Physical Enhancement at 59, as well as Flurry and various Archetype AA's in the 50s/60's. Once you hit 70-71, you get a bunch of cool stuff and I'd stay 70/71 until you have around 500-800 AA's altogether. Whatever you do, don't fall behind in CA/CS, or you'll hate yourself.

6. Any other advice you can think of?
    Join a guild with people your level. Go on 'old content' runs whenever you can - older raid gear is awesome for lower level Warriors. If you're not sure what to do, find AC augs you can camp.
  5. Zspark New Member

Thanks for all the advice. I just hit level 59 and got area taunt aa, maxed combat agility and combat stability. I still feel very crappy to my j1 tank merc though... I feel so useless! Lol. I am having a blast though, have a great guild.