Waited 2 hours, got in for a few minutes, client crash, back in a 3 hour queue

Discussion in 'Time Locked Progression Servers' started by Twinnrova, May 31, 2020.

1. Twinnrova Journeyman

I don't mind waiting in queues, but doing it twice is frustrating.
    Arog likes this.
  2. Korea numbah3 Elder

I've had 7 or 8 client crashes on 4 different PCs since the last big downtime. Sucks even more with the queueuee.
  3. Healiez Augur

am not saying not having a queue bypass system if you crash doesent suck, it does and really should be a thing. Same thing I post in numerous threads about crashing. I know a lot of it is just venting, but this may help.

However, if you are constantly crashing it is most likely on your end. There is a reason some people can play for 10-12 hours at a time without crashing and others cant. If the entire zone or server isnt crashing it is on your end. A few things that are notorious for causing crashing issues.

ADV loot window getting bogged down. If you ignore advl, and let it fill up you will eventually crash. Keep it cleaned up.
    LFG window is to be avoided, it is notorious for crashing players
    Turn logs off, this can be done by typing /log
    Delete old UI files and old character files that are no longer being used.
    Turn off Flora
    Turn spell particle effects to near

If all those things dont work it is usually a deeper issue. Sometimes a fresh install can help, just make sure you uninstal and delete EVERYTHING EQ related. It is most likely a memory leak, caching error cascading into a crash, or a corrupt EQ file.

Again this post is entirely meant to help. It isnt a this is your fault, DBG doesnt need a queue remembery thingy or what not, and is not trying to stir anything up. It is simply a list of things I have found to be common causes of crashes that can be fixed in game.
  4. Rekz New Member

I joined queue, finally got in just a minute ago and before it even loaded up the character select screen, I was booted to desktop and the program shut down. Now I get to join the queue for another almost 3 hours.
  5. Tierdal Augur

how there are queues still after 4 days is hilarious and sad
    Rekz likes this.
  6. JooJooFlop Trainer of Trainers

All they have to do is put characters that have to be removed from the world via the server select ahead of the queue. It takes a bit for a character from a crashed client to exit on their own so you have plenty of time to relaunch the client and get your spot back.
  7. Kirtonos New Member

Crashed around noon today. Finally got back in 7 hours later. Within 2 minutes of being back on the server, the client crashed again and I was put back in a "150 minute" queue after requesting to remove my character from the world. To say that it infuriated me would be putting it lightly.

For the record, I've played plenty of hours this week thus far so it isn't a symptom of my pc or settings but of just random client crashes that has been happening to my friends as well.
  8. Twinnrova Journeyman

Just had my client say it needed to update mid queue. My timer has been reset AGAIN. I'll have been in queue for maybe 7 hours if the extra two really happen.
  9. SmoochyOfWolfington Augur

Very nicely written and helpful, at least when trying to find out problems on the local end of things.

I am not experiencing what others are and I may have to try these just to get the most out of EQ, although some I already do. What are UI files though? Are they saved automatically or it is something you have to do yourself?

Also on the occasion I have been booted out of game, I am assuming a certain key stroke commands by accident, when I try to log back in it says I am already there. Well if I am why am I not allowed to simply continue to that character instead of having to get that character booted out just to reload the same character? Mind you I am not on a server that has a line waiting to enter.
  10. Machen New Member

I've got over 500 ui files in my eq folder some dating back 5 years and never had a crash as a result. Deleting old ui files will free up a tiny amount of disk space, but I don't think it will prevent crashes. Edit to add--if you are talking about UI_character_server.ini files, etc, you have no reason to detele those. IF you are talking about files that are out of date in the uifiles folder, from old user interfaces you have downloaded and not kept up to date, those will crash you. You don't need to delete the files though, just switch to a different ui or if you know what you are doing, fix them to work with the latest version of eq.

On logs, the only way log files crash you is if you let the log files get too big for the system to handle. As long as you are cycling your log files, you won't ever crash. Gamparse and gina both auto cycle your log files now. So unless you never use your log files for anything, or hate parses and gina triggers, there is no reason to turn logs off.
  11. Twinnrova Journeyman

I am a beginner and I have the base installation of EverQuest with no add ons.
  12. Machen New Member

Check to make sure your drivers are all up to date, especially graphics drivers and motherboard.
  13. Twinnrova Journeyman

I'll do that! Last time I updated was a few days ago, and NVIDIA is constantly putting out new drivers. I'll check it out.