VMWare and Virtual Machines Oh No

Discussion in 'Player Support' started by Enigma Maitreya, Apr 6, 2016.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Enigma Maitreya Augur

So your deliberate half truth is NOT RELEVANT.
    I get it now, you respond to a context with your own personal context, get replied to in the original context and what would you call it ... fabricate your own context and call the original context NON RELEVANT. Well glad that works for you on other people.

"sendkey" is not a replication it is a OS API that allows a message from one window to be sent to another window as if it was the Keyboard. GREATEST EXAMPLE OF THIS TOTALY EVIL TECHNOLOGY is the Logitech G series of Keyboards that have extra Keys that you can program to send text to the "current focus" window. Totally evil that I can use it to type in my game user id and password on two different G keys. Totally Evil.

There are no VMM loaded cheating tools, you don't name them, you do not pick up the challenge to bring the Billion Dollar Companies Oracle and VMWare down by proving that VMM allows tools to be loaded that can manipulate the memory of the clients and steal, change, do what ever it wants to them all in Supervisor Mode. The "cheats" you think you understand have NOTHING to do with VM as they run just fine AS IS WITH NO CODE CHANGE on Networked computers.

You didn't even really know what Duplicated Memory was did you. You seriously thought it was some USER program duplicating another USER programs memory.

I am not challenging DB, I am saying I agree with them to pursue the enforcement of the ToS, that thing I agreed to and apparently you and a few others must think is a joke and does not apply to you. :)
  2. Lonye Augur

I wish I had the same amount of free time as OP.
    Elricvonclief likes this.
  3. Dre. Altoholic

I don't play EQ in a VM. The rest of your post reads like someone who hasn't had their morning coffee.
  4. NameAlreadyInUse #CactusGate

You are playing a game over the internet which has almost no developer involvement. Without even considering the technical and social hurdles involved in controlling how an individual interacts with his computer and the internet in his own home, how would you define "cheating"?

The EULAs are purposefully vague and there are almost no unanimous definitions of "cheating". They dump you in an open world with almost no instruction and no rules. Their website is all but bereft of specific information, and their own "wiki" is empty and hasn't been updated for 2 years (seriously, 15th anniversary picture on the front page). My point is that the very concept of applying rules to such a neglected game is almost ludicrous.

It is obvious that DB's ban on VMs is born out of their desire to have full control over your computer. Whatever other reason they lay on top of that (like the undefinable and ever-changing "cheating", the marketing ploy of "no-box server"), are just distractions.

DB doesn't make money from banning people. But they might make money by appealing to the people who believe DB can/will do something about this mythical "cheating" problem. The masses love to be polarized, even when there isn't anything to be polarized about.
  5. Warpeace Augur

This is still a thing after Daybreaks policy is known on VMWare?
  6. NameAlreadyInUse #CactusGate

Warpeace, are you implying that you would never consider questioning a rule after it has been instated?

I'm smiling in my head trying to imagine a world where no rule ever made could ever be challenged :)
  7. Iila Augur

Ok, I was wrong. You love arguing, rhetoric, and annoying people. And you sure do write a lot of words about topics that aren't what anyone else is discussing.

Hopefully no one is dumb enough to link to any cheat sites. But since you know so much about computers, think about how infosec researchers use VMs to investigate malware. Then flip sides and apply some of the same ideas to investigate a game's client to do nefarious things. While you're at that, think about how bans against players who can easily make more accounts and change IPs could be tracked. How could VMs be used to bypass those bans?

I have no idea how you got from that premise to VMs being innate cheat engines and oracle spying on VMs.

The policy is dumb, and irrelevant for EQ. But they have some reasons, and wanted to enforce the restriction on all SOE/DBG games for some mysterious reason(s).
  8. Enigma Maitreya Augur

Yes you are wrong.

Yes SANDBOXES are created for 100% Containment AND REVERSION so they can isolate exactly how and what the malware manifested.

Nice try to step back from your argument that it was VMWAre/Oracle that was enabling CHEATS.

It was my argument there is NO CHEAT that can only be performed in VM's.

ALL CHEATS do NOT need to be recoded to work on multiple computers on a network.

All online services adapt and deal with the current model. Homes have a central router. House side of that router there a many computers, tablets, smart devices etc.

It is that plain, it is that simple.

To address the conspiracy ... thing. No DB is NOT a villain here.

989, SoE, DB they are all doing the same thing. They are trying to deal with an emotional, volital group of people that care about things. They try to do this in a sane, rational but far more importantly HUMAN way.

I repeat, I have NO problem leaving my fate to DB.
  9. Lonye Augur

My question has been answered. Let's engage in useless conjecture for days after!
    Geri_Petrovna likes this.
  10. RadarX Augur

Closing this up. If VM ware is detected it will almost certainly result in the a suspension or ban of your game account.
    Geri_Petrovna and Your_Ad_Here like this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.