Vaniki - Class Theory Crafting

Discussion in 'Time Locked Progression Servers' started by Kalipto, Apr 11, 2022.

1. Kalipto Augur

Vaniki's unique rule set will impact classes way differently. I thought it'd be fun to start a thread to discuss how some classes may be effected.

My initial thought - any class with charm may be ridiculously over powered. Imagine you're level 40 charming a level 60+ pet. Can other classes keep up with that just by having weapons that are also in the 60's era? Or will charm still be level locked and still only land on mobs in that charm's level range? (if that's the case, this is a non-issue).

Another thought - how will it work for caster dps? Sure, you'll have a much larger mana pool, so you can nuke a lot longer without running out of mana. However, your nukes will still be your base level right? So say you're a wizard at level 40 trying to kill some mob in PoP and you don't even have ice comet yet. So, while you can cast endlessly, you won't really do any damage. Higher level focus effects won't really even help much.

Seems like this would quickly turn into a melee-only server unless they do something with casters.

What else may be interesting on Vaniki?
  2. Zansobar Augur

No one knows (not even DPG) how they will enact the relaxation of some level limits on spells, gear, spell and melee resists. I would not count on them lower the level limit on charm, fear, mez etc. itself, but only on the resist rate. So if a spells says it only works on mobs up to level 52 that doesn't change but the resist rate could change. I personally don't understand why they are even changing anything as it will be a huge undertaking to make anything remotely just. I suspect DPG will half it and just do some blanket 5 level or so change in the resist formula and item level restriction.
    Ariana likes this.
  3. Ariana Augur

100. Doing this well would require some careful balancing across all levels (admittedly less when it reaches spreadsheet mode). I don't trust their track record on previous crazy rulesets (golems dropping raid loot) to get this one right. It almost feels like they try to bite off more than they can chew with this stuff.