Updates for Tinkering

Discussion in 'The Veterans' Lounge' started by fransisco, Mar 25, 2024.

1. fransisco Augur

I'm confused. I made this post about a specific tradeskill. You seem to be talking about any character can have all the other tradeskills, so that makes tinkering op? I can also AP into a shaman and have alchemy, does that make it OP? I can become a smith, so does that make smithing OP?
    Your objections don't seem to make alot of sense
  2. Angahran Augur

Would love to be able to tinker the HF suit consolidator.
    Maybe also the unatuner.
  3. Cadira Augur

I'll sum it up easy for you.

You're opinion is that tinkers being only "belt makers" is bad.
    Mine is that it's ok.
    It's fine for our opinion to differ here.

Your opinion is that a fix would be to add some expendable items to tinkers recipe list.
    Mine is that it'd be cool, but I'm cognizant of the fact it's not gonna happen and devs have other things more important to ignore than tinkering.
    Our opinion can differ here, too.
  4. Angahran Augur

So you say their opinion 'is bad' but it's ok to differ? What makes your opinion better than anyone else's?

Currently, if a character only has the tinkering skill, there is very little they can make that is of any use, apart from belts, and even those would require the services of someone with other tradeskills.
    Most other tradeskills do not rely on others for the majority of their items.
    fransisco likes this.
  5. JetZeppelin2h Augur

Well I agree with Cadira on this one because it was a nightmare to get a tinker belt made during NoS because all the tinkers didn't want to do the 50 sub combines and running around to get stuff needed to make the belt. It took over a week to finally find a tinker who would do it. Now with personas I am max in all tradeskills except potion making which I will do at some point if I start playing again.

Belts should be removed from tinkers. Nothing of use that other classes need that should require a gnome to tinker. I am fine with them adding some usable clickies like potions or poisons for them to make and sell if you want but even after getting 350 tinkering I don't even want to go through all the trouble to make those belts. It is kind of a pain and alot of running around and subcombines. They should make the tinker belt simpler to make and maybe you won't have a hard time finding people to make it.

Tinkers don't need more stuff, I have been max tradeskills since velious and recent personas now allows me to max every tradeskill in the game. I could see them taking time to expand tinkering on one condition which maybe isn't needed now with personas but always though a good epic level quest to get accepted into the gnome city and for them to teach a non-gnome how to tinker would be nice (same for all tradeskills but with personas you don't need it although it is a pain to get the gnome / potion maker / poison maker toons to the level needed to buy the aas kinda sucks, never realized it had a level requirement on the 300-350aas and you need a high level in 2 personas to max all tradeskills)
  6. Yinla Ye Ol' Dragon

I disagree instead of taking belts away from tinkers they should give them more items each expansion to create. Going back to earlier amours they could be created, with smithing, tailoring and tinkering.

I also do not agree with more races having tinkering, that would ruin tinkering the same way it ruined spell crafting when it was opened up to everyone. I believe RoF was the last time we could create spells through spell research and we are now stuck making boring augs. :rolleyes:
    Angahran likes this.
  7. Cadira Augur

Virtually no one "only tinkers" hense my claim that tinkers can also make every other item that's bis, cause they dont just tinker. Very few tradeskillers don't have every single tradeskill they can do as their race and class maxed. But I'm sure you already knew that.

Also, almost every best in slot combine requires more than the base ts used to make it. Belts aren't special.

Ps, stop including a straw man in every single post you make. It's embarrassing.
  8. fransisco Augur

This was the idea, add something so its more than just 1 item per expac. Power sources came up, thats a great idea. There can still be dropped ones, but let there also be tinker made ones.
    Angahran likes this.
  9. JetZeppelin2h Augur

How about add a tinker made tracking item that gives you so many clicks of track before it must be recharged with a tinker made charging device. You could limit the max level it could track every expansion so a new one comes out each expansion.

Over half the population of the game uses tools to see everything anyway so maybe this would reduce the number of hackers since they have a legit method to do what they need.
  10. Fenthen aka Rath

Can I tinker an enchanter merc?

...asking for a friend.
  11. JetZeppelin2h Augur

I think they have some tinker stun items that would sorta make you like an enchanter and stun lock the npc but it only works on low level or certain types.
  12. Angahran Augur

This is incorrect.

What you meant was that if tinkers also work on other tradeskills they can make items.

Why should the skill that has the fewest wanted items be forced to take the time and effort to max multiple skills?

This thread was simply asking that it would be nice if tinkering had more than a single item per expansion that people might actually want.
  13. Marton Augur

Hmm, interesting.

My google-fu failed me. Which item is that?
  14. Iven the Lunatic

Yep, in Palworld.
    fransisco and Nennius like this.
  15. Cadira Augur

Not really, on the grounds that virtually all tinkers are also master artisans in reality.

Having one item doesn't make it bad, cause when you only need that one item it becomes pretty valuable to have.

If tinkering wasn't worth doing, no one would do it. Yet tinkers are literally everywhere.

Feel free to ignore where I said it'd be cool for them to get more stuff though. I'm just aware it's a waste of dev time.
    Fenthen and Nennius like this.
  16. Shea Lorekeeper

Speaking of tinkering and tinkered items/consumables....

I would like to see buff banks/containers in game.
    Buff bank: Guild hall 'machine' that would store 'buffs' that could be removed by guild members. For example, say a cleric was sitting in guild hall with nothing to do, they could cast symbol on the buff bank and it would store up to a certain number of charges for that buff. Other guild members could come along and pick up that buff. This would be great for raids when running back, or during regular play, or if you had a buff class on an account but obviously can't cast that buff on another character on the same account etc.

Single use buff container/item:
    Stackable in uncharged mode, tradeable. I buff class could 'store' a single charge of a buff, and trade it to someone who needed, at which it becomes non-stackable. Much like a potion.

Thoughts on this were that single use/consumable buff containers would be tinkerable. A guild level buff bank, also tinkerable but require multiple tinkers... possibly more powerful/able to hold more buffs the more tinkers in a guild that could add to it. Etc. etc.

Obviously this is a pipe dream but was just an idea I had that would work well with the tinkering skill...

"Meldrath's Mystomagical Enhancement Dispenser"
    Grove likes this.
  17. Yinla Ye Ol' Dragon

I have an alt that tinkers, that is the only tradeskill she does.

I'll do TS combines on her for free, but I do expect the person who wants it to provide all supplies, including those needed for sub combines. My main will keep her supplied with the items from other tradeskills, I just give her the stuff I've been given to make them. I'll make 5 - 10 up at a time, depending on where we are with the expansion, but initially she will make 20 with items I get myself.

Would be nice to use her to make more than 1 item a year.
    Angahran likes this.
  18. KarmaKitty Augur

I have a gnome tinker alt. He smells like cough drops.
  19. KushallaFV Playing EverQuest

Tinkering should have gadget recipes like bombs, utility items like a knockback or rocket boots, or various other fun items.
  20. Fenthen aka Rath

It would be neat for each expansion to have 1 cool tinkered merchant thing. Whether it's a "buff bot 1000" giving out enchanter buffs (haste/clarity), personal banker bot for your house, a tinkered Gerta for the guild hall selling all the smithing things that are available in PoK.
    Shea likes this.