Info Needed Universal Chat service issue

Discussion in 'Bug Reports' started by KakleTT, Jan 6, 2024.

1. Kikinu New Member

On the Zek server, auto join general, lasts 30 seconds to a minute, doesnt matter the zone, then get the msg unable to join bla bla bla, move to a different zone, it loads back up, then 30sec-a minute later kicked out again, doesnt matter what zone or what time of the day, we only have about 90 people in channel so nothing to do with population. I dont use comcast or xfinity. this has been going on ~monthish.
  2. Qyntus New Member

Darkthot
    Firiona Vie
    8:00 PM PT - 9:00 PM PT @ 04.29.24

If I do not run a VPN, I will always lose UCS within 5 minutes or so of logging in. I am on Cox internet, directly plugged in to their modem/router (Panoramic WiFi Gateway, Model TG4482A).
  3. Qyntus New Member

Darkthot
    Firiona Vie
    07:33pm PT - 07:45pm PT @04.30.24

I'm actually logging out right now to switch to my VPN so I can get chat, and I'll be playing from about 07:50pm PT until about 09:00pm PT, give or take.

EDIT: As an aside, the Router/Modem combo that Cox gave us does not let us modify the UDP Connection Inactivity Timeout value (setting it to 60 seconds seems to be a common solution that appears to have worked for others in the past). I could try port forwarding, but I don't know which UDP ports UCS uses.
    Scila likes this.
  4. Scila Augur

This is back - what happened in the last couple of days?
  5. Scila Augur

This is back - what happened in the last couple of days?
  6. newc322 Lorekeeper

it was never fixed. and is only NOW being addressed after months. ive supplied my info via this thread and started a private convo with the dev who asked for it. have heard nothing in over a week now.
  7. Zek forever New Member

Status update?
  8. Scila Augur

I have a feeling it has something to do with newer modems not allowing more than a set amount of time on UDP timeouts and no way to change it. I tried port forwarding this weekend and it did squat. Also tried a new UI and logging into Test to see if it was Live only - no change. I have a note out to one of the dev's mentioned in this thread but it was also the weekend so didn't expect a response. Still early yet today for anything until they have had a chance to look into it to respond.
  9. Scila Augur

Server - CT
    Characters - Scila and Mooque - 2 accounts - however it happens on any character on both accounts
    Times - All day and night - no specific times -

I can zone - it will reconnect for 30 seconds to 2 minutes tops then poof - I may or may not after 1 minute see the Universal Chat down message but it never reconnects unless I either zone or log another character in then it's rinse and repeat.

I am currently using an Arris SB7 modem; however, it was happening previously. The current modem does not allow updating the UDP settings.

I have attempted everything on the modem settings, firewall settings, switched out of the new UI, tried switching over to test, port forwarding, nothing works on my side.
  10. Scila Augur

Server - CT
    Characters - Scila and Mooque - 2 accounts - however it happens on any character on both accounts
    Times - All day and night - no specific times -

I can zone - it will reconnect for 30 seconds to 2 minutes tops then poof - I may or may not after 1 minute see the Universal Chat down message but it never reconnects unless I either zone or log another character in then it's rinse and repeat.

I am currently using an Arris SB7 modem; however, it was happening previously. The current modem does not allow updating the UDP settings.

I have attempted everything on the modem settings, firewall settings, switched out of the new UI, tried switching over to test, port forwarding, nothing works on my side.
  11. PuddinPops New Member

I can’t find an SB7 modem from Arris, but if it is one of the SB7###AC2, it is also on the list of modem/routers using the Puma 6 chip from Intel like all modems/routers that have been listed so far that I noticed in my last post here on page 4. Puma 6 modems/routers have lots of issues and just makes me wonder if they issued a firmware update lately to try and fix their existing issues and broke other things, like closing ports.

List here of the other known routers using the Puma 6 chipsets from Intel: https://approvedmodemlist.com/intel-puma-6-modem-list-chipset-defects/

I posted on page 3 and 4 some solutions. My page 4 comment suggested seeing if your ISP will trade your modem/router out for a newer model that ideally uses Broadcom chips. This is all just a guess right now, but moving away from Puma 6 routers/modems via buying our own routers or asking for upgrades has been solving the issues for a lot of us.

Good luck. If the issue is on our hardware side, as it currently seems to be since people solve by swapping out their hardware, then this will be a challenging issue for the devs to identify and develop a workaround for. They have smart people though, so maybe they can find a workaround for others.
  12. Scila Augur

I would blame the modem if the problem hadn't started before I swapped them out. It's an XB7 and the firmware was updated on install.
  13. PuddinPops New Member

Yeah in my posts on previous pages I mentioned I had the XB7 as well. It was fine until about January when this issue started. Xfinity support is a struggle to work with and none of them could get me access to the logs, and they claimed they have no timestamp showing when the latest firmware went out.

I bought my own router, put the XB7 on bridge mode (modem only) and solved my issue. Later when the dev asked for details, I set my XB7 back up to recreate the issue and get them data. After that I went to the Xfinity store and asked for an XB8 instead. Again that resolved the issue. The XB7 uses Puma 6 chips, XB8 uses Broadcom.
  14. Scila Augur

Thanks I'll try that but it may take me a few days have some rl issues I'm dealing with so game time is spotty.
  15. PuddinPops New Member

You bet. Good luck. If the Xfinity rep gives you trouble, like they did me, and says the XB8 is only for people that purchase certain speeds, tell them you know what you are doing. You can also just dazzle them with words like “Puma 6”, “chipsets”, and “broadcom”. The rep gave in quickly after that and just gave me the XB8. They aren’t trained on the technology details, just on the pamphlets their employer hands out. You are entitled to an upgrade usually.
  16. Wulfhere Augur

I have Xfinity with my own Arris SBG10 and I never have a problem with chat channels.
  17. Scila Augur

Thanks - I can outgeek a sales rep - or a car sales rep - got $12k knocked off my last car past what they were knocking off and 2 pricey perks free 11 years ago and the car is still purring like a kitten. Girls got skillz.
  18. Scila Augur

So out of curiosity waiting for the store to open, I switched to wireless which doesn't use the puma chipset. No change channels still poof to the Universal Chat service bright red message.
  19. Scila Augur

I'm 3 hours in so far and channels have stayed up but I also haven't tried anything but sitting at the trader. But so far a SB8 modem is working. We'll see how things go when I do something besides sit.
  20. Scila Augur

Still up and running this morning. So here's what I'm scratching my brain with. The older modem I had worked fine. They upped my speed is the only thing that happened on their side, somewhere along the line since the last patch the problem popped up not able to join general full blown. The two didn't happen at the same time.

Out of frustration with that, I got the new modem so the new speeds kicked in. Yep then more problems not able to join general message still there, join, pop off after 30 seconds, doesn't rejoin like the Universal Chat bright red message says.

Got a 2nd new modem ... so far everything seems to have smoothed out.

What I did try was take off what was suggested as the puma chipset and use the other chipset and had the same problem. This modem is one model up, and so far seems to have no problems. It still uses a puma chipset when hardwired, but wireless is a different chipset.

So my question, was something switched on DB side in the interim that has smoothed things out? Wondering if a combination of things has fixed it.