Not A Bug Unable to xfer spells to spell bar

Discussion in 'Resolved' started by Oldschoolmordi, Jan 22, 2024.

1. Oldschoolmordi New Member

Good morning I have been unable to move a spell from my spell book to the spell bar on my characters. I have tried multiple characters and multiple servers to resolve this. I have tried deleting the files listed below with no effect.
    defaults.ini
    eqclient.ini
    eqgame.exe
    EQGfx_Dx8.dll
    EQGraphicsDX9.dll
    eqlsClient.ini
    eqmain.dll
    Additionally I created a new character on a different server after deleting these files a second time with no change. I am still unable to move spells from the spell book to the spell bar. Please advise how to resolve.
  2. Gialana Augur

If you are using the new UI engine, there is a bug with the cursor location if you have your UI scaling set at something other than 1. So that would be the first thing to check. Either that, or uncheck the Use New UI Engine button in the options, log all the way out, and then log back in.
  3. Oldschoolmordi New Member

Please provide detailed instructions as to where and how to change these settings.
  4. Gialana Augur

Open your options window (Alt + o) and click the Display tab. At the bottom right is a slider for UI scale. For now, you'll probably want the number to the right of the slider to be 1.0. I suspect this might already be a 1 since you aren't sure where it is.

Just to cover another base, are these the steps you're using to try to memorize a spell? Open the spell book (Ctrl + b or click the book at the bottom of the spell bar), left click on a spell in your spell book (that should put an icon of the spell on your cursor), then left click on an empty gem in your spell bar. If there are no empty gems, you can right click on one you want to remove.

An alternate method to memorize a spell is to right click on an empty gem in your spell bar and follow the context menus to find the spell you want in that spell bar slot. Some spells are not intuitive to find through the menus, though. For instance, most of the enchanter mezz spells are under Utility Detrimental > Enthrall. But the mezz spells which reflect a twincast on the enchanter are under Direct Damage > Enthrall.
  5. Oldschoolmordi New Member

correct these the method you described is how I was attempting to move a spell to the spell bar. I will try these thank you
  6. Oldschoolmordi New Member

Unfortunately the first method did not work. And when I right click on an empty box for the spell bar none of the spells I have in my spell book populate, only the change size and social come up.
  7. Oldschoolmordi New Member

Also I tried emptying a gem and replacing it with a spell this was unsuccessful as well
  8. Gialana Augur

If Change Size and Assign Social come up when you right click, it sounds like you're trying to interact with a hotbar. Although you can assign spell gem slots to hotbuttons, you can't load spells directly there (unless you've already assigned a spell gem to that hotbutton). If you're not seeing your spell bar, try Ctrl + S. By default, that key combination toggles the window on and off.

Edit to add images:
    This is my spell bar window. I have the 13th gem empty in the image. Yours will have fewer slots until you get all of the Mnemonic Retention AAs.
    [IMG]

And this is an example of an empty hotbar. Yours could be a different shape if you've dragged the borders around. Each hotbar will have 12 buttons (slots).
    [IMG]
  9. Oldschoolmordi New Member

I finally got a spell to load on the spell bar. on my first character i was able to load spells on to the hot bar by melee attack etc, and thought that was where spells went. Thank you for your help
  10. Gialana Augur

That is understandable and something I hadn't though of. With new character creation, they've started automatically assigning some of the hotbuttons as the first 1 to a few spell gem slots, depending on the class.