UI problems

Discussion in 'Player Support' started by Detritus, Feb 9, 2019.

1. Detritus New Member

Hey there EQ swram-brain :)

I'm having some issues with my UI. I think it started with the latest patch, but couldn't tell for sure as the error message usually gets spammed away rather quickly. Upon logging in the game tells me: "Your XML files are not compatible with current EverQuest files, certain windows may not perform correctly. Use "/loadskin Default 1" to load the EverQuest default skin." I also noticed, that apparently my game won't show me NPC rampage, NPC enrage and NPC flurry messages in my combat log. There's no way to disable them in the chat filters, (as in it's neither set to hide nor to show as I just CANNOT change this value, the drop down for these 3 messages is just blank) but I am able to change the colour of the messages - but I don't see them at all.

Now that struck me as odd, as the only UI windows I had changed were PlayerInfo, Pet and Target - and none of these had been changed in recent patches. Also broken XML files should not cause the problems with the NPC messages in the combat log - but what ever, I used the /loadskin Default 1 ... and got the same error message.

So I deleted my default UI folder, restarted EQ, the files were downloaded anew ... and I got the exactly same error message. Now I'm stumped as I can't figure out how to a) get rid of that error message and b) (and more importantly) how to get NPC flurry, enrage and rampage to show up in my combat log again!

Halp plx?
  2. CatsPaws No response to your post cause your on ignore

I goggled that error message and there are many posts about it and it does appear to happen after patches. No one has a set way to fix it but suggestions are to log in thru patcher, run file verification and some others that didn't really make sense. Hope someone posts with something that will help:(
  3. Drakah UI Designer

As for the errors, all of that info can be found under EverQuest folder in a file called UIErrors.txt.
    This file will tell you of anything that is going on with your interface.

(Warning: file) messages are normal when you are using a custom skin. That is just telling you that EQ looked at your custom folder and could not find a modified EQUI_xxxx.xml file so it is loading it from the default, which it is what it is supposed to do --- only customize the files needed, and the rest gets loaded from default, so pretty easy for patching just your own and thats it. The least modified files you have in your custom UI folder, the better.

It is the "Error" messages that you have to fix. This is what will be in your log file when you are getting Red text in-game that your XML files are not compatible. They usually point you to the file it is having a problem with, and exactly what it could not find or a problem with. Once that is fixed and saved, you can /load your UI again and see if you fixed the error. You may be simply be missing an image file or some code, or an end-tag is wrong, etc.

As for the chat filters... you select which window to output the information to. You may have a window off-screen, where you had this information being sent to. Try renaming your UI_yourname_servername.ini to something else (like backup) and then re-load it to create a new one, see if that resets your chat filters to narrow down the issue.
    Gyurika Godofwar likes this.
  4. Detritus New Member

Thanks Drakah, but as I said - I get these error messages even when using the default skin. And the rampage, flurry and enrage are being sent to main chat (I did check that first of all) - they just don't show up :(
  5. Drakah UI Designer

Curious to see your uierrors.txt file, there has to be a reason.
  6. Detritus New Member

I figured out the UI errors I think :) I'm playing on Coirnav and there I get the errors (we don't have the "big" bank yet for instance). If I log in on Antonious no errors at all :)

Still don't know why the text doesn't show up though...
  7. Kelandi Elder

Did you ever figure out a fix for the NPC ramp/flurry/enrage messages not displaying?

I'm using default UI like yourself and have all 3 going to one chat window but nothing is showing up.