UI messed up when going from Windowed mode to Full Screen

Discussion in 'Bug Reports' started by Yinla, Jul 24, 2022.

1. Yinla Ye Ol' Dragon

Made the mistake of forgetting to switch from windowed mode to Full screen at char select. 20+ years of not having to change anything when logging in is a hard habit to break.

When changing back to full screen the hot bar boxes have changed from a 2 by 6 configuration to a 1 by 12 configeration and the chat boxes are not in their correct positions.

Copying the layout does not work as the UI file has now been saved over with the messed up one from switching from windows.
  2. Klon New Member

I can confirm the same annoying bug. This started on the Kunark release patch on Yelinak sever for me. Patcher always starts in Windowed mode even when you properly log out in full screen mode. This causes all of the UI elements to remap which is huge pain.
    The only work around I've found is logging in to character select, then hiting alt+enter which puts the character select screen in Full Screen mode. Then log into the game, this keeps the UI elements in the proper place.
  3. Svann2 The Magnificent

Backup your ui files
  4. Yinla Ye Ol' Dragon

How about they fix it so it works?

Having such a high number of alts, I do have other UIs on other chars use the same layout. It is just frustrating to have to fix it when I forget I need to alt return now espcially when I'm in a rush to log in and play.

I've not had to do it for 20+ years why do I have to do it now?
    This bug can't have been around for that long? So where has it come from?
  5. Velisaris_MS Augur

If this is going to be the new normal going forward (always launching in windowed mode), then they need to change the character screen and make two Enter World buttons: Enter World (windowed) and Enter World (full screen).

Would be much better than having people complain about it until they get the "fix" by word of mouth...and hope they remember to do it every time they play.
    Svann2, Stymie and Yinla like this.
  6. Mendel Journeyman

This behavior with Fullscreen mode just started with the most recent (7/20) patch. This occurs on multiple legacy servers. Previous to this patch, the Fullscreen option was previously only changed to Windowed mode when I changed it (state retained across sessions). Now, it switches back to Windowed mode every time you exit EQ, or /camp server. This moves windows at the bottom of the screen around and partially obscures them (Chat1, EQ button). Very annoying.

Edit: this change was reported in the 7/20 patch log (buried in). Since this change appears to be intentional, could we get an explanation of why this change (for the login/server select screens) also impacts the game window?
  7. MiataDriver Augur

I have heard that some people logging in in full screen were getting a black screen, so to "fix" this, they made everyone log in in windowed mode. I don't know the truth of this.
  8. Jumbur Improved Familiar

If you don't box and like to immerse yourself in the game, then there isn't a lot of reasons to use windowed mode.

While it is correct that it was stated in the patchnotes, it is the expected standard for games to remember essential gfx-settings between sessions. I hope this behavior is just a temporary workaround until they find a real fix.
    Spencer Kane, Yinla and Stymie like this.
  9. Perihelion Journeyman

I was since told that a windowed launch is only available option as of new patch. Oh well, so I logged in tonight to "Whack" char in bazaar and of course my UI was scattered. When I found the toolbar I clicked on Display and selected Full screen mode to rearrange screen, and instead of going full screen it winked quickly and collapsed/closed. I used Task Manager to disable eqgame and relaunched to find other characters have same problem:
    select Fullscreen Button and display winks quickly and closes leaving me looking at my computer wallpaper.
    Since the patch I have been rearranging UI's each time I log into each toon by selecting Fullscreen and moving boxes back into place but now can't even do that.
  10. Raccoo Augur

The change was to fix a client crash issue.

Whether or not another fix is in the works, I'd suggest copying UI (UI_charactername_servername.ini) in case you inevitably forget to alt+enter at character select.
    [IMG]

11. Yinla Ye Ol' Dragon

Is there a fix for this in the works or are we stuck with windowed mode and constantly rearranging our UIs?
  12. Spencer Kane New Member

Frankly I think is one of the most foolish things that DayBreak / DarkPaw has ever foisted on us. Has anyone ever responded to any of the many posts regarding this issue? The only explanation I can arrive at is that someone who does not even play the game came up with this! I'll stick with that theory until I see a response from someone in charge. SMFH.
    Stymie likes this.
  13. Szintar New Member

I have several guildmates running into this issue where their UI shuffles window positions. Chat windows end up behind others, and some are missing raid channels or have to reassign them each time. Any ideas for a workaround or a fix in place?
  14. Necreta New Member

They should put a configuration in the eq.ini so that those of us that like fullscreen can lock it as I agree having to constantly fix the UI because this windowed mode breaks it or coming back from link dead and it gets messed up midraid is rather annoying.
  15. MiataDriver Augur

Workarounds:
    1. Play in windowed mode (yeah, I hate that too).
    2. Remember to hit alt enter at character select to switch to full screen.
    3. Backup the relevant files just in case you do forget before logging in.
    Stymie likes this.
  16. Knifen Augur

Not an issue either, if you happen to log in before forcing full screen.
    1. Stop what your doing
    2. Dont change anything
    3. Camp to char select screen
    4. Force Full Screen Alt + Enter
    .5 Log in all is fine.