TV or Monitor??

Discussion in 'The Veterans' Lounge' started by Ofearl, Apr 26, 2017.

1. Ofearl Slayer of all things Stupid

Thinking with the new pc I will build what would be overall better for EQ, and in general games. I can get a 32" TV 1080p in the less than 200 range all day long. Or is a dedicated monitor better? I know refresh rate matters and I'm not fully versed in that. No matter what I think I will have a second monitor for when I want to box another toon but that will be on a 22-24 monitor from the old Goodwill or something on the cheap.

Figure at normal desk length the TV might be big, but if around the 4 foot away mark might be better? Maybe I'll get set up a fake screen size and see..
  2. IblisTheMage Augur

The best screen possible would be a WQHD, imo
  3. Cruxx New Member

The main difference between a TV and a monitor is the refresh rate. A great monitor is 1ms refresh rate. My monitor is 3ms. I think a tv is like greater than 10ms. This is a flicker that you may or may not notice at first, but it will strain your eyes if you watch for long.

Hope this helps you.
  4. Ishtass Augur

Refresh rate can be equated to input lag, I doubt you'll see flickers. Anything sub 6ms you can't see no matter how hard you look. IMO the biggest difference is clarity of the image. Monitors tend to have crisper picture than TVs, because the same resolution over a larger display equates to lower quality. I have a 4k TV 65", and even with the highest resolution it's still a little grainy. If the TV can support a similar resolution at a similar size, or a higher resolution at a larger size, plus has a decent refresh rate, then I think you'll be ok, assuming you have the proper cabling / video card in place to leverage it.
  5. Tucoh Augur

6. Ofearl Slayer of all things Stupid

Awesome, thanks gang. I'll give a tv a try first, we have a 42 in the bedroom i can try and if its good enough for me then cool if not then I'll just snag two 27 in monitors I think.
  7. Hostility Elder

You'll get a bigger TV for cheaper but visual quality will go down. If money isn't an issue then get a huge monitor. It's really up to you and what you deem important.
  8. Zapford Elder

I use a 32" 1080, and it is fine for EQ. My good monitor died a horrible death, and I was forced to use the TV, so here I am. I do plan on replacing it with a new monitor, because for anything graphically better/more detailed than EQ it stinks.
  9. Fooba Augur

You're talking about response time (which has to do with streaking) not refresh rate. The last time I saw noticeable streaking on a monitor was 20 years ago. The most important thing in a monitor for EQ is the resolution (not size) which effects how much of the screen your UI takes up. 1080 is garbage can.
  10. svann Augur

I think 32" is too big for 1080p. Fine for broadcast images. Not for gaming.
  11. Fooba Augur

12. IblisTheMage Augur

Again, the WQHD has a lot of good things going for it. 1440 appears to be a sweet spot for number of vertical pixels, and it is a much more fluid and ergonomic experience than having two monitors.
  13. Ishtass Augur

I prefer 2 monitors because it's easier to full screen multiple things at once and you don't have to worry about applications that struggle with the odd resolution ratio.
  14. Reht The Dude abides...

I have been using a 32" 1080p TV for a couple of a years and have had no problems whatsoever playing EQ or most other games for that matter.
  15. Aurastrider Augur

I only play EQ so I cant comment about the quality of using a TV for other PC games but for EQ I have not noticed any real difference in terms of game play. I run a 48" and a 32" TV mounted to the wall side by side with another 32" for watching TV. I play from my recliner and I must say this is much more relaxing than sitting at a desk for countless hours. As mentioned above a monitor will provide a crisper picture but a TV can provide a more comfortable gaming experience depending on your setup and for a much more reasonable price compared to a monitor of the same size.