Training SKills Issue I recently noticed...

Discussion in 'Time Locked Progression Servers' started by Beggly, Mar 22, 2018.

1. Beggly Augur

Several times now I have gone to trainers (guildmasters) in EQ and had the message "How can I train you in a skill when you are more skilled than I am?"

When I went to a GM and tried to skill up Tailoring to the highest I could go, the GM stopped me at 20. Now, for years you have been able to go to 21.

Same for trying to train in Foraging, Fishing, and a couple of other tries.

I am assuming this is a bug, but I have only been playing on TL servers, so is it a change or a bug? I'd love to know.
  2. Bobbybick Only Banned Twice

Can we please get an emergency patch for the 1 point of tradeskill training? Literally unplayable.

For real though, I don't have an answer. I have the same recollection of training to 21 in the past.
    Kattria Minx likes this.
  3. snailish Augur

I've always disagreed with the caps being put onto any of the trainable skills.

If I want to burn 50 levels worth of points on pottery why not?

(because people will do the easy combines to 199 then use the points to finish ---doesn't bother me, but even capping the skills at 150 would be a huge quality of life & hey maybe I do want to tradeskill improvement).
  4. HoodenShuklak Augur

I always save those points anyways. Who knows how priceless they may become at some future time.
    snailish and HappyPanda like this.
  5. Beggly Augur

Though I appreciate the sarcasm above, it is an issue. I am getting the same message on skills not related to trades. So, did they change the system, or is it a bug? It needs to be addressed. I usually save these points to get a jump up on tradeskills and hard to raise skills like Foraging, Fishing, Lock Picking, Mend, Feign Death, and such. If I am going to be limited to 20 in these skills, then it is indeed a problem. We have never before been limited, why now?
  6. MaxTheLion Augur

I don't understand how it's going to be a problem. You're limited to 20 but it used to be 21? 1 skill point is going to be a problem?
  7. discordkitty Augur

YES IT'S THE END OF THE WORLD, COMBINES COST MONEY! ONE LESS SKILL POINT TO COMBINE FOR!

=D
  8. Bobbybick Only Banned Twice

I'm not able to reproduce this on Phinigel. I have no issue training Hand to Hand, Bind Wound, Languages, Intimidation, Swimming, Begging, past skill 100. Tradeskills are giving me the 20 skillpoint trainer hardcap though which is to be expected.
  9. Febb Augur

So right now on Coirnav the level cap is 50 pre kunark. Only 1 tradeskill can be raised above 200 skill in classic. Alchemy, poison making and tinkering of course is not included in the cap combined with the other tradeskills.

At level 1 at creation of the character, you are granted 5 points to put into any skill you want. I leveled a character to level 4 on Coirnav and I spent 15 skill points into blacksmithing to spend all my guildmaster skill points. I'm not sure if awarding skill points per level stays with the same consistency throughout all levels but from my testing it seems like removing the cap altogether is a bad idea.

Maybe people should be discussing raising the cap a little bit.
  10. Beggly Augur

I suppose that only being able to raise a tradeskill to 20 is not a major problem. However, I have had problems with nontradeskill skills as noted above. I'll keep trying to see if this is a general problem or whatever. Perhaps simply changing the message to read more like, "You have progressed as far as you can progress in this skill without using it" or something like that. I just find it jarring that the guildmaster says what they say.
  11. Machentoo Augur

I took this approach for about 15 years before deciding that after waiting 15 years, they probably won't actually suddenly become priceless. Now, I spend them all. If some future patch gives a huge advantage to people who have 15+ year old characters and can only train whatever critical new skill they introduce with guildmaster only stored up training points, the hue and cry on these forums would be beyond epic.