Took an 6 year hiatus - Come Back as Ranger? Wizard?

Discussion in 'The Newbie Zone' started by TheNJDevil, Dec 20, 2013.

1. TheNJDevil New Member

Going through the tutorial to relearn everything I forgot :)

Played Bard, Cleric, Warrior, Paladin to what was the high end of the game back in the day. Thinking of switching some gears to another class but still catching up on how much the game has changed and if I'll be punishing myself to solitude if I pick Ranger or Wizard.

I've read several posts, so I'm aware that I'll be going solo to probably 70-ish.

Now I've got to relearn how the heck to get through zones again to get where I want to go :)
  2. Borek-VS Augur

Check out the Atlas and the Find command, it was upgraded while you were away.
  3. Dandin Augur

What do you like about each class and why? perhaps if you tell us why these classes appeal to you, we could help you decide which suits your style of play?
  4. Ratbo Peep Augur

Aside from what he said... I'll add this.
    The existence of wizzie mercs in the game, has done two things.
    Created a perception to some that they (either) don't need a Wizard, or that real Wizards suck as much as the Mercs do. None of these are true. The Mercs set to "burn" will overburn, steal aggro, and die - a lot. If set to balanced, the don't put out the DPS they should.
    A real player that knows when to burn hard and when to back off, can run circles around a Wizzie Merc.
    Rangers are "their own thing". Truly a jack of all trades, yet only master of one (archery).
    Very versatile, yet not a standout in any one area. Great utility class, great pulling class, but to get the most out of them you need to be paying attention, as your immediate role can change on a dime.
    -Rat
  5. Potawatomi Augur

Ranger and Wizzy are viable. Rangers tend to be in abundance but I wouldn't stop from making one based solely off that. What's top at the raid game changes with each expansion, save for cleric/war, so if you do decide to raid, you would be fine with either choice.

Both choices offer up the ability to solo and duo while still being awesome for groups due to their utility.