Ton Po's Stance - What the Heck?

Discussion in 'Melee' started by InnerDruid, Dec 13, 2017.

1. InnerDruid New Member

"This ability, when activated, causes 6% of your primary hand combat rounds to strike your current target with an additional hand combat round that deals 10% of your standard melee damage at the cost of 300 endurance per second for 30 seconds."

So is this saying it gives us an extra six tenths of one percent DPS? And only on primary combat rounds? How is this significant? Does the potential of 6% more procs make this worthwhile?
    Hurrikane likes this.
  2. Riou EQResource

It's like Focused Destructive Force except
    1) not 100% chance
    2) not 100% damage

But it is not on their timer
  3. feeltheburn Augur

something to burn when you got nothing else :) kinda like using Earthforce in tween cooldowns on discs
  4. mackal Augur

I think once you get rank 16 (5 min reuse) probably can just spam it while you have the endurance, should give a minor benefit as long as on of the destructive forces isn't on you :p
  5. Thrillho Augur

I think this AA causes more harm than good.

Maxed out, it has a 5 minute refresh, causes 10% of your primary hand combat rounds to strike your current target with an additional primary hand combat round that deals 30% of your standard melee damage at the cost of 300 endurance per second for 1 minute.

I forget what the split is, but a significant portion of our damage comes from things other than auto-attack. Kicks, synergy hits, strikes, etc. Maybe the split is 50/50 on average? Lets call it 75/25, weighted towards auto-attack. That means we get an additional 30% damage on 10% of our 75% damage, or 0.3*0.1*0.75 = 2.25% increase in overall DPS, at a cost of 300end/s * 60s = 18,000 endurance. At a more accurate 50/50 split, this would be 1.5% increase in overall DPS.

If we're burning at 250,000 DPS, which isn't unreasonable, we're getting 2.25% * 250k = 5625 extra dps over 60 seconds = 337,500. Double that, 500k DPS = 675,000 damage. These look like big numbers, but take a look at the damage you do from other abilities.

Alliance. Cost is 7500 endurance, creates 2.4 mil damage. Can be recast every 60 seconds. Can be used ~3x before meeting the endurance cost of TP.

Dichotomic. Cost is 6300 endurance, increases damage for all combat skills (auto-attack / auto-skill ones). Same recast timer. Can be used ~3x before meeting the endurance cost of TP.

Crane Stance. Cost 500 endurance. It's basically a lottery towards the damage you do, but you can easily break 1mil damage with the click of a button. Same recast timer (shortened with type 3 aug though). Endurance cost is so low this has little to no impact on overall endurance.

This is absolutely not worth the endurance cost, and absolutely not worth the 1350 AAs it takes to max out. I haven't had time to do any parses this expansion, but I simply cannot fathom it being worth the endurance cost when endurance is already at a premium for monks. Using this will cost you DPS down the road. The only way I would use this would be when I'm already maxed out on my other AAs, have full endurance, and will be in a short duration fight (<5 min) and can throw as much endurance out as possible.
    Hurrikane and Xianzu_Monk_Tunare like this.
  6. Brohg Augur

I think this will describe many named battles on the group side of Ring of Scale.

It's worth figuring out what to line this up with on the occasions that it's called into service. Thinking here of autoattack-boosting discs, rather than skillattack-boosting discs
  7. Thrillho Augur

Agreed.

Terrorpalm and Speed Focus are the only two worthwhile discs that come to mind in terms of autoattack-boosting discs. Earthforce and Eye a bit, but those are mostly just filler discs and really wouldn't get you much DPS added. Terror and Speed are both capable of getting beyond 250k burns (I arbitrarily picked 250k. Obviously the higher the number the more worthwhile Ton Po will be). To reach that with Terrorpalm, you need to pair it with Destructive Force, which can't be used while using Ton Po. So that leaves Speed. Again, pairs really well with Destructive Force. Personally, I pair DF with Terror, so this is a non-issue for me. But to have a 1350 AA ability with an 18,000 endurance cost limited to only one disc... seems wasteful.

Honestly, the cost of the AAs is fine (1350 total). Seems in line with whatever else we have, and realistically it's not going to take long to grind out the 8000 AAs we got from RoS. The endurance cost is huge for what we get, and the stacking issue with DF is crazy. DF has a 15 minute refresher, which means we would only be able to pair this with DF every 1/3 casts, and even then it only lasts 42 seconds, or 2/3 of the duration of Ton Po.

Ideally:

• The endurance cost of this needs to be significantly cut OR the damage needs to be significantly increased
    • Stacking with DF needs to be reevaluated
  8. DaciksBB Augur

I generally see my crush/kick damage being very close, sometimes kick surpassing crush if I get a really good Heel.

The final cooldown seems to me like the devs absolutely want us to line this up with Dicho. Problem is, I usually use Dicho with IoT and 9 times out of 10 I also use FDF with Speed so that only really leaves me with Heel+IoT, TP, or EotS as viable discs to use with it. Only Heel would have Dicho with it for me.

While I think this is an interesting concept, this disc comes extremely close to the Beastlord disc Al'ele's Vindication with a far higher cost, tuned down, slightly lower cooldown (5 vs 7.5), and with no extra benefits to clicking (ie proccing a high damage nuke with each dot casted). It would be nice to see the current effect increased and maybe add something like an extended Wu chain. Heck, I think an extended Wu chain would actually be better.
  9. Thrillho Augur

Again, I haven't actually parsed this, and most likely won't until I'm maxed out on AAs and finally cave into buying this hunk o' junk, but would dicho actually amp it up? I was going to reply with something else, but after reading the description again I'm concerned this is even worse than I originally thought. The description is: causes 10% of your primary hand combat rounds to strike your current target with an additional primary hand combat round that deals 30% of your standard melee damage at the cost of 300 endurance per second for 1 minute.

This seems like it doesn't take in amped up damage. Dicho, discs, etc. Which makes me think that the only disc that this would actually work with would be Speed. This can't be right, can it?
  10. Koryu Professional Roadkill

[51229/51220] Ton Po's Stance X
    Classes: MNK/254
    Skill: Melee
    Endurance: 0, Upkeep: 300 per tick
    Target: Self
    Resist: Beneficial, Blockable: Yes
    Focusable: No
    Casting: 0s
    Duration: 60s (10 ticks) Song, Extendable: No, Dispelable: No
    2: Increase Chance to Repeat Melee Round by 10% with 30% Damage
    Text: You take on a fluid stance.

[42691/42688] Focused Destructive Force IV
    Classes: MNK/254
    Skill: Melee
    Target: Self
    Resist: Beneficial, Blockable: Yes
    Focusable: No
    Casting: 0s
    Duration: 42s (7 ticks), Extendable: No, Dispelable: No
    2: Increase Chance to Repeat Melee Round by 100%
    Text: You focus your destruction.

Looks to me like Ton Po's Stance uses the same type of spell effect, just with reduced damage modifier. I don't see a stacking issue with Dichotomic Form either. If Dicho mods damage for Destructive Force, then it should do the same for Ton Po.
    DaciksBB and Thrillho like this.
  11. DaciksBB Augur

as Koryu said, it's probably just bad wording. damage bonus and melee damage increase effects probably still take effect, it's just very undertuned for the resources it burns
  12. Horyuken Augur

I don't know if devs check this area of the forums, or if it was mentioned in beta. This really needs changed from 300 to 100~50 endurance if it is going to be worth while.

meh
  13. Moldar Augur

Hey sounds like a melee class got a skill similar ranger Scarlet Cheetah Fang, shame it can't be used on the group like shadow's flanking for rogues.

At that point it would be probably very worthwhile, but hey let me be the first to welcome you to the burn your DPS resource down as fast as you can club!
  14. Savager Augur

It's crap, we told them on beta it was crap, they never listen to us because they have no idea what a monk does.
    Funk and Hurrikane like this.
  15. Dropfast Augur

Yea this is total trash. Same old crap, different day. Both the endo cost is beyond insane for the damage output and the damage output is silly low.

This is nothing even remotely close to Scarlet Cheetah Fang. Nor is it a group buff. It probably should be for the insane cost. But yea we were hoping for a mini Scarlet Cheetah Fang but got this garbage instead. Surprise Mortals!
    Hurrikane likes this.
  16. Monkman Augur

Expensive crap at that! Last aa I'm buying and so far 17/20 next rank is 105 aa... /smh

[IMG]
  17. Moldar Augur

Sorry wasn't meaning to make it a direct comparison to SCF other than using it drains your endurance similar to how it burns a rangers mana too quickly for it to be of much value
  18. feeltheburn Augur

IF ever there was a telling statement or example of just how clueless the devs are as to what a monk does or needs, and just how much they DONT listen to us......I present to you this useless disc as our badge of rememberence for both examples. kudos.
  19. Attickus Journeyman

Ton Po's is terrible, too much endurance cost for only a tiny bit of damage. Not worth at all to spend AA's on.

It will be the very last thing I use AA's on. More then likely that may take a while because I would rather just spend them on Glyphs when this is the last thing I have to get in AA's.
    Funk and Hurrikane like this.
  20. Dropfast Augur

All good Moldar, I wasn't attacking you or nothing. More the devs for never listening to anything we say. They do both defiantly drain endo crazy fast. I wish it was just like SCF, that would been really cool. I'll trade you ><

There are so many good things we could use but a insanely over expensive, Super watered down version of something we already had was not it. Skill Twincast ability would be awesome, A crit rate / crit damage mod buff as well. Even a more beefed up version of Eye of the storm (like the Rog Knifeplay) would have been better than this poo.