ToL on sale, worth it or wait?

Discussion in 'The Veterans' Lounge' started by Kelset, Sep 6, 2022.

1. Kelset Elder

I've been out for a bit over a year and saw the sale on the expansion. However, with the new expansion coming out, I don't see a reason to pay for both, especially with 6 paid boxes. Am I missing anything related to buying the ToL expansion vs. getting it included in the next? I usually buy one upgraded license to get the ports but the rest I just buy the base expansion. Other than that I don't see anything compelling unless there's some content or otherwise that you're limited in. The only thing I can remember from previous expansions is some collectibles in Rain of Fear you couldn't use unless you had a special edition.

2. Tatanka Joe Schmo

The only reason to get this now, instead of waiting for the next expac at full price (well, now I can think of two reasons LOL):

1 - You won't be buying the new expac when it comes out. You want to get to 120 now, but won't use the content from the 120 expacs.

2 - You have finished content through CoV, and need something to do. And you expect to be done with ToL and ready for the next expac when/shortly after it comes out.
    Ozon, Wdor and Hobitses like this.
  3. Brickhaus Augur

Besides the guild hall and self port items, the only other thing that is not easily replaceable is whatever key ring is added for an expansion.

If an account purchases an expansion with a key ring, then all characters (current and future) will get the base 10 slot key ring access for no additional cost. If an account doesn't purchase an expansion, then that expansion's key ring can only be access by purchasing slots and those slots are character, not account, based.

At least the ToL expansion's key ring (teleport items) was better than CoV (hero forge). But I'm not sure it is that important to have with big bag access so easy at this point through hunter achievements.
  4. Fenthen aka Rath

ToL group content takes about 2 weeks to finish, and even less with the right group. If you intend to raid and want the best Type 5 aug in the game, now is the time to finish those raid achievements up before no one wants to ever come back. With how broken some of the achievements are, it's going to be a few expansions before Close the Gate / Goranga / Doomshade / etc becomes doable again with a smaller raid force.
    Hobitses likes this.
  5. Benito EQ player since 2001.

I believe the discount is targeted mainly at folks who want to upgrade from basic tier to Collector or Premium tiers for the cosmetics.
    Tatanka likes this.
  6. Slasher Augur

25% aint worth it they know this. They have the numbers to show that when it was 50% they sold more and when they changed it to 25% last year they sold less. They probably think the people who would of bought it at 50% will just wait and buy the new expansion now instead of only getting 25% off.

The good news though beta starts soon and preorders start oct 10th or 11th.
    Skuz and Hobitses like this.
  7. Kelset Elder

Thanks for the responses and good points. If ToL group content only takes a few weeks or even a bit longer, it doesn't sound like I need to worry about getting that far behind and won't miss out on any items. Nice point about the teleport key ring being on the account but agree it's probably not worth the extra money. Same with the cosmetics.

If would be nice if you get access to ToL with the pre-order, not long of a wait at all.
    Fenthen likes this.
  8. CatsPaws No response to your post cause your on ignore

If you want any of the items listed under the Collectors edition or Premium Edition or even the Friend's and Family then now is the time to get it. The 25% off is a kick in the teeth but its better than nothing. Any of the items listed under those headings will not be given to you when you buy the next expansion.

So, key ring feature, mounts, portal items, bags, illusion etc. are only available now. You can hope in the future they may bring out a collector's bundle like they have with some of the other expansions that include those items but I doubt it would be soon.

I believe you do get access to TOL with the pre order- at least in the past it has worked that way. There should be lots of posts about it somewhere in here
    Iven likes this.
  9. Khaliss Augur

I was waiting for the sale price to come in... but surprised & disappointed to find out it's just 25%, not the usual 50% from past years. Oh well, might as well wait for the new expac(?)
    Fenthen likes this.
  10. Benito EQ player since 2001.

The sale is 1 week earlier than usual. I wonder if this could be related to a "Lord of the Rings/Game of Thrones bump."

I could see them not deeply cutting expansion prices especially in the context of new and returning players. For new or returning players, this is several years worth of content. I think it would be kind of crazy to sell near end-game access for around $17.50 (50% off). Again, EQ Free-to-Play differs from WoW and FF14 in that you can play up to max level instead of level 20 and level 60, respectively.
  11. Smokezz The Bane Crew

No it isn't. CoV was Sept 14. ToV however was Sept 1. There aren't posts for TBL or RoS, or they were deleted. There doesn't appear to be a pattern to it either, it ended on almost the same day last year, and ToV's ended Oct 20th so it was a much longer sale.

Relation to a TV show, I doubt people watching a TV show would look for EverQuest.
  12. Velisaris_MS Augur

Unless you're a clicky collector, the keyring is the ONLY reason to buy an expansion now as opposed to just waiting and buying the new expansion, especially since it's no longer a 50% discount. They've rendered the self/GH port clickies basically useless since they either go to the same place as the standard GH portal (like CoV) or go to just one zone over that's no more than a 10 second run to the zone, if that.
    Fenthen likes this.
  13. kookoo Augur

nm, was thinking that you could sell in FV the items you can trade for some kronos, but you would not get the XP potions and port thingy if you are not playing in fv already.
  14. Hobs Elder

The only real reason is the cost but if you are going to buy the new expansion when it's available for pre-order you get access to ToL and access to Beta so probably better to wait in your situation.
  15. Veteran_BetaTester PIZZA!

Is it worth it...

Well, there are augs that have not fully evolved because I did not complete certain raids in previous expansions. Hard to gather a team of people to go back to redo those raids unless we are just completely finished raiding our current content which is not yet.

You should have bought ToL when it came out because people move on. This is not a reason not to buy ToL because it is '' too late ''.

The game is amazing. There are drops you can get that just rot away in ToL. I have seen so many drops yesterday we just leave behind because we are farming alt coin on missions.

$17.50 off one said above, if $17.50 is holding you back to wait for another $17.50 off ( a 50% sale) I say this... it is not worth the wait.

You should have bought ToL by now, so now is even a better time to buy it.
    $26.24
  16. Skrab East Cabilis #1 Realtor

Just wait for ToL2, then you can at least have a complete expansion.
  17. Fenthen aka Rath

"complete"
  18. Veteran_BetaTester PIZZA!

It is silly to ask, should I pay 25 bucks to continue to level and get even better AA's .
  19. Benito EQ player since 2001.

$26 or $35 for 3-12 months of entertainment. All price points cheaper than most movie theater tickets and popcorn. This is a far cry from the cost of a boat, jet ski, or motorcycle.

I would wait for the pre-order if you are not interested in the cosmetics. To each his or her own.

As long as EQ maintains its current Free-to-Play model, the price of the expansion shouldn't elicit controversy. Imagine Darkpaw selling 1 Heroic Adventure or 1 Raid DLC for $8-12 each. Yeah, no thanks.
    Wdor likes this.
  20. Wyre Wintermute I'm just a butterly dreaming I'm a man

This is the only thing that urks me with the recent expansions. I should be able to obtain this feature for all characters, not limited to an "expensive" (yes, I know free DBC) purchase per character and lost if they're ever deleted.
    Hobitses likes this.