TLP - PvP server, or perma-death?

Discussion in 'Time Locked Progression Servers' started by Dulu, Oct 25, 2017.

1. Dulu Augur

Any servers with more hardcore rulesets planned?

Agnarr was fun, but something with more challenge would be ideal.

The average MMO player age these days is 27. For EQ TLP players, it's probably closer to 37. I really think some want a little bit of challenge in their gameplay.

Corpse runs, no cash shop combat boosts, no soulbinders, etc.

The other two ideas may be fantasy land, but can we maybe get an alternative rules server? Like PvP or Permanent Death (With death-touch disabled on raid mobs).

Just some thoughts - thank you.
  2. Foaming I Drank Bleach IRL Once

You're honestly suggesting that folks in their late 30s with work, families, and all other sorts of responsibilities want even more grind in their games? Let's not forget EQ PvP servers have proven to be pretty much dead in every single iteration they've ever tried. DBG is out to make money, and a PvP server is not a cash cow for them.
  3. Bolten_DA Augur

Aint no responsible 37 year old got time for dat.
  4. Dulu Augur

No, you guys are right.

Adults want more baby-brained risk-free content where they can just beat the expansion in 9 days.

True enough.
  5. Bolten_DA Augur

I'm all for making harder fights and a challenge. I just do not believe in suggesting random ideas that focus on a small faction of a limited player base.
    Chatoyan likes this.
  6. Machentoo Augur

The EQ servers were all pretty successful initially. Wasn't really until instancing that things went down hill, not much point to it when you can't fight each other for raid mobs.
  7. MaxTheLion Augur

While I won't disagree it could add some flavor to some of the redundancy, you must be reading different forums than I am. Although they have slowly died down, you still see many threads popping up with complaints about things being "unfair". Do you really think the current core players that dominate content on other servers wouldn't do the same in this instance? They have the ability to invest time and funds into leveling multiple alts which they can box and or have a better understanding (i.e. are better at EQ) than the average player that logs in for fun. This kind of server would cater to a small population and the poor few that put their legs in the pool with the sharks would drag themselves away with their souls shattered and legs missing.
  8. snailish Augur

Permadeath invites too much cheating to be worth the policing hassle I would suggest. Read up on the drama around the Discord server event back in the day.

PVP isn't likely to draw big numbers, even with a relaunch of Sullon Zek rules (arguably the best fit of rules in the modern no-play-nice policy era) on a progression format (which would likely have to perma-lock, arguably in Luclin to remain viable).

PVP enabled via a modified /guildwar command* on a racing-the-unlocks progression server is the one context I think it could work. In this context you are contesting open world spawns (no instances or picks available) to beat the progression first and move the server along. Only works if at least 2 guilds want to actually fight it out though...and probably requires some sort of incentive to do this.

*the modification would be something like a guild going /guildwar allows them to use the raid window but also makes them PK to any other guild that is raid enabled. You could multi-group some open-world "raid" encounters to get around this, but raid zones would be locked out to players not guildwarring.

It would be a terrible server to not be in a warring guild as all sorts of good zones would be locked out to you. That's kind of the point though... take a side and join the war or play on another server.
    Pack likes this.
  9. Tinytinker Augur

I don't think there are enough people interested in PVP for Daybreak to justify creating a PVP TLP server. I don't see many people asking for a PVP server on the TLP forums, and the Project 99 PVP red server doesn't seem to be doing so well. In your own words Dulu, it's "a ghost town."
    Bobbybick likes this.
  10. StuntCawk New Member

I would really like to see a Teams PVP server. P99 red was ok... But PvP everyone vs. everyone isn't as fun as Good vs. Evil races like on old school Vallon Zek.
  11. HoodenShuklak Augur

I don't think there is enough gm to handle the PvP bullsiht. If they can't keep 3rd party progs and warping off agnarr, how bad do you think that will be on pvp?
  12. Glaxx New Member

Im over 37, I do not like the baby hold me hands game , that is what this basically has turned into .
    I do love EQ, been playing solid since 99, I would like a TLP with no instancing, no krono, no bots, corpse runs ect

think of it as it was originated from , no hand holding, if they all want the holding hands option , they have plenty of servers with that already . make a unique server as it was at he beginning.
    I would put my money into that...
  13. StuntCawk New Member

Isn't that P99 in a nutshell?
  14. Machentoo Augur

You realize Vallon Zek was not actually set up to be good vs. evil races, right?
    Kattria Minx likes this.
  15. Tinytinker Augur

I don't think a hardcore server with corpse runs and contested mobs would be a good idea. A lot of people don't want to be bat phoned at 2 in the morning to go kill Nagafen, and the drama that type of a server generates is staggering. There's constant bickering over raids, Ancient Cyclops, and Scout. I came across this gem - https://www.project1999.com/forums/showthread.php?t=282447 A 21 page thread full of people arguing about how to do a hand in!
    It's a fulltime job for P99 admins making sure everyone gets along.

I think some hardcore content would be cool, if it was optional. Hard mode Plane of Power raid instances where you get the Alkabor server version of Quarm might be fun.
  16. Bobbybick Only Banned Twice

There's too many "whoops you are dead for ...reasons" in EQ for permadeath to ever work (ever 20k off a pebble?). Even if all that got fixed the server would just be a bunch of SKs/Monks and NOBODY would want to ever play a tank on a raid, zones that are easy to train in would also go basically unused by anyone but the most hardcore because griefing in EQ is as simple as creating a level 1 cleric and buying a 6 silver copy of Divine Aura.

You could MAYBE make it "work" by setting xp rates to ~500% and massively increasing the droprate/quantity of items, but at what point are you no longer playing EQ?
  17. StuntCawk New Member

Yes... But if you actually played that server... People referred to most PvP cases as "lighties vs. darkies" even though there were other team sets.
  18. Machentoo Augur

I played on Tallon Zek and we had the same thing happen there. Then everyone screamed outrage when guilds started four teaming (despite it being just more of the same thing that all the "lighties" were already doing.)

The fact is the teams were not well balanced and the server was not well designed. Sullon zek came closer but even that wasn't perfect. EQ is not designed in a way that allows for balanced pvp teams.
  19. Runes Augur

Go play on Phinny or P99.sounds like what you want..slow xp. No instances guilds that you have to beat to see mobs or play characters in old zones..go solo a rogue in classic zones only to 60..lots of ways to make your life miserable without asking others to join in your shyte parade.
  20. StuntCawk New Member

I absolutely agree with you.

I just had alot more fun being on one side or the other. LOL...