(TLP) Possible solutions to "permacamped" raid targets

Discussion in 'Time Locked Progression Servers' started by Smallpox, Jun 8, 2015.

1. Smallpox Augur

There has been a lot of discussion on the subject of raid bosses being monopolized. I do not see a whole lot of constructive feedback to the issue.

Here are some possible fixes:

Suggestion #1: Change the spawn rate on all raid targets to 24 hours. Once beaten, have a personal lockout timer for X days. If you try to engage (or end up on the hate-list via heals, etc) with a lockout, will be punted to the zone entrance.
    In other words, you cannot engage that raid target until your lockout expires.
    This in my opinion would be the best/easiest solution as there would be virtually no change to the way it is currently done other than the fact that others would get a fair shot at the boss(s).

Suggestion #2: Instance all of the Raid Boss Zones. Most would agree that instancing is not the answer, but there are many that would disagree.
    It's a touchy subject no matter which side of the fence your on.

We all know that DBG cannot please all of the people, all of the time, nor can they police everything, but there surely has to be a better way of handling raid boss monopolizing, and it is going to just get worse as expansions unlock. It's an age old problem, but hopefully the Dev's can revisit the issue and make some changes that would be fair to the masses.

The alternative is for players to continue griefing each other, and that is just not what EQ is all about (or at least what it should not be).

This thread is intended for constructive feedback, not for trolling, ranting, or flaming.
    complexication and Drexll like this.
  2. Bumpkin Augur

Guess what guilds like TL would do? Yup, lock it down every. single. day. Oh you get a lockout? Well I guess we'll just send 20 people everyday. Who's up today? Who's up tomorrow? Let's farm 4x the gear and still lock everyone else. It would be Christmas come early for them.
    Ohdanny and Mezrah like this.
  3. Hateseeker Augur

All of this has been suggested before; and this thread unfortunately will turn into a discussion of one segment claiming that since the game is too easy, players should create the difficulty by fighting each other for it. Of course, we don't have PvP so the fighting is indirect, and we also have the Issue That Must Not Be Named involved, such that while there is technically "contention", it's not meaningfully decided by player skill.

It all boils down to Daybreak Gaming Company - one, has the population of these servers justified the work to do it, and two, do they still believe the contention is meaningful?
  4. gander Augur

Suggestion 3: Pass Kunark.
    Drexll likes this.
  5. Smallpox Augur

Ok, well, I see your point. How about posting something constructive instead of just picking apart suggestions.

What do you suggest be done? The alternative is to just ignore it and hope it will fix itself (which we both know it wont).
  6. Finwen Augur

Please explain.
  7. Aneuren Tempered Steel

Here is a poster who wants more max level characters locking down the same content they already lock down, but instead with 1/2 the necessary characters with which to do so.
    patius likes this.
  8. Bumpkin Augur

Simply instancing the zones (making a dz style instance) is imo the best option. It'll give the lockout and the ability for everyone to raid. However, I think it would be very difficult for DBG to implement this. At some point they need to refocus their efforts on live, they have spent a lot of time and effort on TLP already.
    patius and Smallpox like this.
  9. Fallfyres Augur

------------------
    Yep. Tag-teaming can be as spread out as is desired or the organization has enough bodies to coordinate it with.
  10. Fallfyres Augur

11. Rancor New Member

If you want instances go play WoW. Instancing raid zones would literally destroy everything people love about EQ. The instances in LGuk and such are already hurting the economy a lot.

As a member of TL I have not once seen any guild try to go after a raid boss or contest anything other than Phinny. You cant blame us and say we are ruining the server if you are just sitting in Commonlands not even trying to go kill a dragon or god.
    liveitup1216 likes this.
  12. oldkracow 9999 Is the Krono Account Limit

Hurting what? The RMT Economy? :)
    patius, Jadefox, Finwen and 1 other person like this.
  13. Aneuren Tempered Steel

Perhaps you should be paying more attention to the elemental planes on this server or Nagafen on Lockjaw.
  14. ngs1 Augur

Instanced content already exists on every other EQ server. If you want instanced content to reach ragefire then you should vote to unlock expansions faster. I'd be fine with completely randomized spawn timers but I think you'd see the same people whining for instances anyway.
  15. Indigo Augur

Yep, but they just want to complain.
  16. Potsos76 Augur

EQ had instancing before WoW was released. Almost every MMO ever released has instancing. Get a new line.

Almost every zone in the current game is instanced and it's the only thing that's kept many people playing.

It hasn't hurt anything, at all. This is a canned response in place of an actual argument.

No one else has made it a point to forgo the leveling experience almost completely to rush as quickly as possible to raiding but TL so yes, of course the mobs aren't contested now. Now.

This isn't a classic server or classic experience. Instancing and lockouts are the answer and there's not other reasonable scenario.
    Gythlen, arbre and Adrienna like this.
  17. Hateseeker Augur

Making the "contention" meaningful would require policy shifts from Daybreak that will not be happening. I would be happy to support those policy shifts and then if they occurred, leave raid content uninstanced, but the people who are against instancing either don't support them, or want to retain contested content regardless of whether those policy shifts occur. And since those policy shifts won't occur, the contention will never be a meaningful test of skill or strategy again, so there is no value to be had in retaining that system.

Also, there is a huge thread of people trying to get the Kunark re-vote, so it's not like people aren't trying.
  18. Vlerg Augur

indeed, FBSS's selling for 5 krono is a clear indication of a bad economy... stuff is too expensive. by far.

instancing actually saved EQ. there's absolutly no way ragefire would be playable with this population.

alot of us are waiting on instances to start raiding.. beause we have absolutly no desire to race at odd hours of the day to a single mob. we'd rather be able to plan out an evening to raid with friends.
    Ohdanny, patius and Adrienna like this.
  19. Ceffener Augur

Literally: in a literal manner or sense; exactly

In fact everything I love about EQ is not guild vs guild pvp on PVE servers and dungeon style raid instancing would increase my love for EQ.
  20. Roxxanna Augur

One doesn't need to see the rain to know a storm is coming.

Instance everything, if you don't like it go play 99. As someone who's not a member of TL, I can honestly say I've not had one bad encounter with TL, and I want it to stay that way. I don't blame TL, I don't think they are ruining the server. As I've said before, when I finally show up with my friends to attempt a raid on whatever raid boss is up, I SERIOUSLY doubt TL, or whatever guild is controlling said mob, is going to part the sea of their guildies so I can waltz my way in. No, said mob will be evaporated long before I even think about heading that way. And following that will come the enevatable series of "Just stop sucking" or "Put on your A game if you want to compete you noob" and a hundred other idiotic statements. If they don't instance, then a lot of us "casuals" simply won't raid, and will trickle off into oblivion, leaving the hard cores with no one to sell their drops to.
    Ohdanny, Seilan, patius and 4 others like this.