TLP 2021

Discussion in 'Time Locked Progression Servers' started by Skuz, May 29, 2020.

1. Skuz I am become Wrath, the Destroyer of Worlds.

I played for a short time on Sullon Zek, where the ruleset was based primarily on 3 alliances competing, each alliance was a selection of deities:

The Good Alliance consists of: Erollisi Marr, Mithaniel Marr, Rodcet Nife, Quellious, Tunare
    The Evil Alliance consists of: Bertoxxulous, Cazic Thule, Innoruuk, Rallos Zek
    The Neutral Alliance consists of: Brell Serilis, Bristlebane, Karana, Prexus, Solusek Ro, The Tribunal, Veeshan

I also spent some time in DAoC with it's RvRvR concept, I enjoyed those kinds of PvP but not what was on the other Zek servers.

I would actually enjoy seeing some "PvP content" developed for EQ, something like a sports-based team-battle scenario like SWToR had in "hutt-ball", or the PvP scenarios W.A.R. had but with 3 teams all fighting each other.

Kinda like an instanced battle-zone with rankings & stuff added later & seasons, I guess EQ's architecture isn't set up for that at all but it would be very cool to see it done.
  2. Nicorus Elder

EQ is just not built for PVP, and the existing player base isn't made up of PVPers, if you loved PVP you probably moved on from EQ in 2002 with DAOC and stayed away with WoW, ESO etc.

The fact that EQ never even added battlegrounds should tell you something, they have been a staple feature of almost every MMO since 2005.

They should focus on a refined experience of the first 4 or so expansions in the next TLP and not try to reinvite the wheel.

Some more balance tweaks to the group and raid game would be very welcome.

Changes to the flow of content in classic, i think locking the planes to one month after release would be great, get people to do some of the armor farming in lower zones rather than just the rush to planar.

VP being re-itemized to an extent would be welcome too and alleviate the content gap in Kunark, it is a weapon focused zone in an era where epics are far easier and far better than VP weapons.

I also think a PoP where elementals and time were locked to 4-6 weeks in would be interesting, there is so much good loot that is big upgrades over VP in the early tiers of PoP that just gets completely ignored in the rush to Time.
  3. TigoalBitties New Member

Dark Age of Camelot is the best PvP mmporg game ever made, hands down!! I played the hell out of Camelot. For many years. Surprised I'm even able to play EverQuest again like I do and enjoy it with how much I love PvP.

Now if only Camelot Unchained would EVER release as a game, that just might be the next big thing. Considering it's been in beta for like 112 years now, I've almost lost all hope at this point.
  4. Loki4567 Lorekeeper

Just a post-mortem from the selos launch, and playing through most of the server up until now (from my perspective)

Non-classic start was a win:

Having a non-classic start was fantastic. Made the leveling process at launch, and the theory-crafting pre-launch more dynamic and interesting. Kunark and SoL zones were useful for more than powerleveling alts, Items that I'd never ordinarily look at were useful and valuable. (Random crap drops in Luclin/Planes from non-raid zones)

That being said, 1-60, then emp keys then VT keys is something I enjoyed doing but would never do again.

If I were on the dev team, I'd kick around the idea of a non-classic launch. It preserves some of the same rush of that initial race to the top; without being the same tired race through classic. That being said, I'd never race to VT again from a cold start, but Classic-Velious released in one go is a good sweet spot. Or even the GoD start that someone mentioned; as you'd start with berserkers, beastlords, and frogs unlocked. There certainly wouldn't be any guilds clearing tacvi in the first two weeks.

Tweak the unlock schedule:

Biggest issue I saw were the content deserts that present themselves, particularly in the level 70 band. Whatever you go with, release PoP and LDoN at the same time, release Omens/DoN at the same time, DoDH/PoR, etc.That should cut down some on players burning out/jumping ship from sheer boredom. Having played a 3 month unlock server, and gone to the selos 4-5-or 6 week cycle, 6-8 weeks is a sweet spot for content heavy expansions (If you have reduced spawn/DZ timers). For eras where there is significantly less to do, 4ish weeks is fine. I'm not sure how some poor bastards lasted 3 or 6 months through PoR for instance.

Everyone seems to have their pet theory of how this should be done, but the consensus does seem to be that 3 months/everything isn't quite the right answer and could use some tweaks.

Truebox loses its value at a certain point:

By DoDH, and certainly TSS there's not a lot of point to truebox, as most content, to include a lot group level content is instanced, so box armies, if anyone even bothers with them at that point, are less of a problem than the showstopper they'd be in classic-> PoP

Accelerated Unlocks cause problems in later eras:

Later content gets harder and harder to do as content is gated behind the number of flags dropped per encounter, per week. (Looking at you TBL). That was solved in Underfoot by simply increasing drops. That may not be a desired solution from a balance perspective for the dev team; but it's a lot simpler than changing how flagging is done, or specifically screwing around with the flag items themselves and their drop rate.

Other than that, I think on the balance that it was a fun and interesting server concept, and that there were lessons learned from it that could be successfully adapted to the next server that is released.
    Karango likes this.
  5. PipotheAFILADOR Journeyman

I want another tlp with another locking point. Somewhere around oow or dodh.

Prefer a velious/luclin launch to avoid most the toxic rmt

Having every tlp save one eventually hitting live which I assume tlp players arent interested in the first place never made sense to me.
  6. Skuz I am become Wrath, the Destroyer of Worlds.

So that makes you about the 8th player to ask for a locked era server I've seen in the past year or so, there really aren't too many of you around you know, could be pretty lonely on that 8 person server you all want.

Toxic RMT happens on popular servers, a server that has mega slow XP, never leaves classic & locks you to one character per account might be unpopular enough that there will be no RMT on it, but that will be because there will be no players on it, any server with a popular ruleset & therefore lots of players will have Toxic RMT no matter the era it starts in.

I guess that there are many things that don't make sense to people who don't run gaming companies or who lack the understanding of how that business works. Perhaps if there were hundreds of posts every day from thousands of different players asking for another era-locked server there would be a case for creating another one. Good luck trying to find more than ten this year.
  7. Skuz I am become Wrath, the Destroyer of Worlds.

Sounds like FV is perfect for you.
    code-zero likes this.
  8. TheTone Elder

I'm mostly with Tucoh on this:

If they did the first 3 things he mentioned, I wouldn't complain. I think it should be a bit more nuanced (maybe 50% mob damage increase, 25% mob hp increase, 50% mob AC increase, +10 MR for all mobs), but I'm not gonna be picky - anything to make the game more difficult is OK by me. Going to take this opportunity to, once again, say that charm pets are still stupid OP. The 20% damage decrease wasn't nearly enough.

As for the no-drop loot and locking loot at death, I just don't know about that - it would ruin any semblance of an EQ economy, hurt krono sales I'm sure, and really negatively impact the creation of alts (twinking alts out is a EQ favorite pastime of mine and many other I bet). On the other hand, the Gearflation in EQ TLPs is real and that's honestly part of why the game is so easy.

I wouldn't be opposed to a system that level locks more gear, makes more gear Lore / No Drop / Attunable, or even if they came up with a way to lock gear behind tradeskills (i.e. can't wear Vindi Chestplate unless you have 175 smithing, etc.).
  9. Tweakfour17 Augur

I wonder how hard it would be for them to code a delay, like no drop items become free trade after 3 expansions or something so you could still hand it down to alts but would have less people farming stuff to sell. Similar to how you can purchase spells in pok after X expansions or flag requirements on zones disappear.
  10. Skuz I am become Wrath, the Destroyer of Worlds.

Who is going to buy old raid gear? Most alts can get geared up to some degree by the time the loot goes no drop at the end of a 12 week cycle, you may be seeing people pass raid gear to boxes/alts but on TLP there's no large community of non raiders around, most players are raiding & some are boxing.

Really limited customer base & with FV rules it;s not going to make a huge difference except that the items will be sat on the bazaar with nobody paying the stupid prices they think they can get.

After a point the group gear is pretty close to the last expansions raid gear anyway making it even more pointless to have FV rules. FV rules work on FV due to a large non raider population there & a ton of boxers thanks to no Truebox.
  11. NinjutsuMMO Augur

OP is the worst idea of 2021....

This guy literally posts every day 365 days a year and lives on the forums.
    He writes horrible proposals and argues with anyone who’s ideals conflict with their own, what a joke thanks but the devs will come up with something better than that rubbish you’re proposing.
  12. Tucoh Augur

The reason I dont like the tlp economy is that it changes the game from an interesting and decent group centric MMO into a terrible pvp mmo. There are better options out there if you want open world pvp.
  13. Moforyguy Elder

I need a Velious start or Kunark. Anymore Classic launch and I will have to pass. Classic burns you out after a month and a half.
  14. Skuz I am become Wrath, the Destroyer of Worlds.

Could just wait...
  15. Accipiter Old Timer

And it'll be PvP, too.
  16. ikarinokamii Elder

i expect one of the next tlp's to be a locked one beyond pop I would guess oow, but I personally think SOD would be better.
  17. Skuz I am become Wrath, the Destroyer of Worlds.

Good luck with that, I rate the chances of an era-locked server at 0.0001% so there is a chance at least.
  18. ikarinokamii Elder

you say that, but after riz,ardune and manglar, i would guess agnarr has the most stable population of any tlp
  19. Skuz I am become Wrath, the Destroyer of Worlds.

Because 99% of players who want era-locked are already on there.
    Can count the rest on the fingers of 2 hands.
  20. ikarinokamii Elder

because there is only one era in eq over 20 years ok. right lol