Time Locked Reset Progression // New Server.

Discussion in 'Time Locked Progression Servers' started by Vadaael, Nov 5, 2013.

1. Machen New Member

Wouldn't matter if you had 6 months or a year in Velious, the guys that would want to play post pop would get bored of the slow pace and quit before making it to pop most likely.

But it would be a smarter way to run these servers in the future to have different lengths of locks for different expansions. I don't think anyone was really happy with 3 months per level 70 expansion. Could have much shorter locks for expansions with no level increase. And once we're up to the later expansions with extensive raid progression, and it will take a month or two to flag to the end zone, there's really no need for locks at all any more.
  2. Nolrog Augur

Yeah, that was a long stretch.
  3. Ziggy Augur

The reason that they fail has more to do with the code base than anything -- the can't completely do away with out of era equipment/drops, but worse is the inability to scale back harmtouch and monk damage. If you had played on those servers you too would have wearied of guilds that simply came with 20-30 sk, raced to hit HT and claimed the old world bosses.

Oh yeah, the feces socking was wonderful as well ....
  4. Ducreux Augur

My favorite part was my 55ish rogue with epic 1.0 and decent offhand/gear 36% haste belt being outdpsed during kunark era by a naked non-epic mage pet with just burnout. /reroll caster.

IMO if they did another TLP server should just start it immediately at PoP (Allow berserker creation before GoD) then put a 6month hold until GoD releases, they obviously don't have the time/resources to change the coding to balance classes so "Vanilla" content is stupid trivial.
  5. Machen New Member

In fairness, they DID fix the HT problem. It was basically after it was no longer an issue, but on future progression servers if they use the same code base, it shouldn't be the issue that it was this time around. We'll need more like 40-50 sk's next time!
  6. Nakander Journeyman

As I said, it is a huge challenge (I'm sure) to try and give everyone what they want. For myself, the second PoP launched I'd be leaving again. If they started it at PoP I wouldn't show up in the first place.

I definitely respect where you're coming from with the earlier expansions being easier than they were way back in the beginning and I'm sorry you had so much trouble feeling challenged, but I'd also like to point out that some of us aren't really all that good at EQ and just don't have the time to invest to be anything but casual.

For me, Vulak and Fippy moved too quickly and I couldn't keep up. I know when PoP launched we were still struggling to beat Cazic Thule - and we had plenty of SKs and Mages in our guild.

What is the answer? I don't know, but any form of EQ is better than nothing (god that's so sad after all these years I can't find anything better). See you all there.
  7. Malachi Augur

Sadly, they aren't really interested in any casual players playing original eq. The hardcore community is what keeps this game going all these years. They hope to funnel the casual audience into newer titles.
  8. Machen New Member

Sony hardly threw casual players under the bus with the progression servers. It was a pretty fair balance between what the casuals wanted and what the hardcore raiders wanted. If you think about it, post-classic era, a player would have had to gain less than a level a month to be max level currently. If you threw in 50 aa's a month on top of that one level, you'd not only be caught up, you'd be almost maxed out. 5-10 hours a week would be plenty to stay completely up to speed and well geared for the group game.

What the previous poster was complaining about was being unable to complete current raid content as an unskilled casual. Remember that retuned Cazic Thule is on par with easier Luclin mobs, IE the current content before PoP went live. It's not exactly a surprise, or really a problem, that a player or guild that is both casual and admittedly unskilled is going to struggle in current expansion raid content.
  9. Argosh Augur

I still think the easiest solution would be to run 2 progression servers with different lock timers. A fast paced server for those those with more experience/time and a slower paced server for those with less experience/time. I would love to play on a server with 6 months per expansion but I can understand why others wouldn't.. so why not cater to both types of players?
  10. Nakander Journeyman

As I said before, 2 Servers would be great. Label them Slow and Pathetic (say Crushbone) and Quick and Competitive (say Sky). We would be on the honor system to go where we think we are (Crushbone here I come).

Sony could always set them up for the Silver accounts and let us make characters on them (honor system again that you actually plan to play) to get an idea of how many people are coming and then go from there.

Oh I didn't know Cazic got revamped. That explains a lot, but still many of us were not level 60 when PoP opened up on Vulak. I'm terribly slow, I know.
  11. Rotlust Augur

If they actually coded it properly and had the old zones I wouldn't be opposed to it being extremely slow (close to how it actually was)

I would pay upwards of 50 bucks a month to pay that.

I accept that I'm in the extreme minority here and would just simply be happy with a new one.
  12. Malachi Augur

All true. It wasn't my intention to make it seem like SOE goes out of their way to discourage a casual play style. But rather they do what is necessary from a business perspective. It was extremely easy to play casually on both progression servers for a long while, but when it comes to catering to a strictly slower and even era locked server...I accept that that's not going to happen for a very long time.
  13. Elskidor Augur

Do you think this thread is read by the ones who matter, and seen as feedback? I'd love a red name to pop in and say something, rather than just come in and delete my entire post because of one singular mention of something that is not allowed to be said in these forums.
  14. Warpower New Member

Open the expansion already!!
  15. Pigskin Journeyman

Still waiting for any official response ... is there one anytime in our future ?

I also played on Fippy for about a year but the main reason I stopped was because the 6 boxing folk that weren't the least bit interested in the community took over the game

1 guy 6 boxing his gnome army in the frenzied ghoul room in lower guk ... or 2 said guys taking out the low level dragons by themselves

all the plum camps and mobs were being owned by 1 or 2 guys

ruined the game for me

could a limit to say 2 accounts per ip be placed on the server ?

I agree with Argosh that around 6 months per expansion would be ideal for me, but understand that a compromise of a couple of months either way might be needed

Cheers
    Tippylulu likes this.
  16. Pigskin Journeyman

Piestro ... is there any chance of a new server of any description in the next 6 months ?

Feel free to take 1.8 seconds to reply yes or no

Thanks
  17. Machen New Member

Like it or not, Sony isn't going to restrict boxing. That's $ in their pocket.

And the current progression servers WERE the compromise you are looking for, with ~3-4 months per expansion, especially on the first couple which were longer.
  18. Machen New Member

You know he can't answer that. They aren't going to allow him to speculate. They never discuss these things until something is formally announced and they are committed to doing it. If he says yes, maybe, in a place like this with a permanent record, then people will be up in arms 6 months from now if it if they decide not to do it after all.
  19. Pigskin Journeyman

I know they were 3-4 months, i played for a year on Fippy
  20. Pigskin Journeyman

He can answer it because I wrote "is there any CHANCE ..."