Three boxing advice desired

Discussion in 'The Veterans' Lounge' started by Rykard, Oct 3, 2014.

1. Rykard Augur

All,

I run a paladin/shaman combination and have been tempted to add a third account for dps(wizard). I want the transportation and easy for boxing as I prefer to spend most of my time on the paladin. I plan on using 1 computer with 2 monitors. Will have paladin on main screen and keep shaman and wizard on secondary monitor playing all in windowed mode.

In the past, I believe that I tried to run three on my computer but had issues with it either running slowly or shutting down. My computer is a ASUS gaming laptop 2009.I checked video card drivers and they were up-to-date.

Questions:
    Any suggestions to address computer shutting down if i try to 3-box?

Any suggestions to address speed in the EQ options? Just scale back all graphics on 2nd and 3rd toons for example?

Is there a better way to box without going multi-bind on a fancy mouse? I usually use macros and swtich toons by moving between the two screens. I am unsure at the moment if two toons on one monitor will have the same easy as one toon per monitor.

Thank you,

Rykard
  2. Troutfest Augur

Try the demo version of [Unmentioned 3rd Party Software] for 7 days and see it works. It made running my team easier.
  3. Qest T. Silverclaw Augur

It sounds like a heat issue. Find a way to keep your machine cooler and it probably won't shut down as much.

Have you considered a Ranger? Your current duo is missing Track and Snare. A Bard would be easy to box and add better pulling/crowd control as well, though not the deeps you desire.
  4. Rykard Augur

Have thought about tracking. I am not totally locked into the wizard but do really like the porting. Druid was considered but do not think their track is nearly as good as the ranger. I only tried a bard once and got him to like level 10. I am unsure about it. I guess because i felt lost trying to figure him out.

Rykard
  5. Edar New Member

Bards are effective without going to the box. They can sing and that helps. I find is challenging to use three boxes to full effectiveness and a bard without any clicking still add tracking and considerable dps. I run sk, druid bard or mage, druid bard or sk bard and bl or mage, bard bl. All work well for me. When I fourbox I find it hard to click all the things that would help and by leaving the bard alone it at least doesn't feel as weak. I don't parse though.
  6. Ranndom_TheUndead Augur

Save up 700 or so bucks, build your own pc, and 150 box
    Rykard likes this.
  7. I_Love_My_Bandwidth Mercslayer

Choosing a box team is as complex as you wish to make it. Make a decision and simply stick with it. Every class has strengths and weaknesses. But rather than wringing your hands over which is 'best', just pick your team and learn to play them to their fullest potential.

As for boxing on a laptop....Let's face it, laptops are the epitome of compromise (especially the cheaper ones). If your machine struggles and shuts down playing three toons, you can either play on the most basic graphics with all effects turned off, just play two toons, or get a different machine.

Seriously, you can pick up a used refurb PC on ebay for ~$200 that will run four or more boxes with no issue. (A quick search for Core2Duo Desktop yielded several machines outfitted with 3GHz Core2Duo, 8GB RAM, 1.5TB HDD, and Win7 Pro for under $250 which would more than suffice. Then add in a GTX 460SE 1GB graphics card for another $30, all shipped free). This is EQ. You don't need the latest and greatest to run it. In fact, it seems to almost run better on older hardware.

There are likely better bargains to be had, as those were incredibly easy to find.

My issue is this: If you run three toons on that laptop for extended periods of time, you will likely reach the point of failure much sooner due to the excess heat. Just move to a desktop machine for boxing. You'll be happier and so will your hardware.
    Rykard likes this.
  8. Xanumbik Augur

Um wizzys dont track but we do have a snare type spell and AA
  9. Rykard Augur

Thanks for the advice on machines. With Christmas coming up, possible new expansion purchases, and possible all access return, I probably will not be able to buy anything.

I took a quick look at my laptop specifications and, they look better than the above mentioned ones but, maybe the desktop will run cooler. Also, I may use a desktop in the future swapping over from laptop to desktop as it would be cheaper to keep my computer current.

Thank you again,

Rykard
  10. Rykard Augur

Yeah, I do not remember the spell but snare for sure.

I will look at bards, Druids, and wizards.

Rykard
  11. I_Love_My_Bandwidth Mercslayer

What is the model number of your laptop?

Something to bear in mind, your laptop may also be malfunctioning. Perhaps the cooling system is dirty or clogged, hindering cooling performance and thereby keeping your hardware permanently throttled down.
    Rykard and Qest T. Silverclaw like this.
  12. Rykard Augur

ASUS G73JH Q740 1.73GHz 1.73GHz , 6GB of RAM, Graphics ATI Mobility Radeon HD 5870 was the computer information that I saw under computer properties.

I took the computer apart cleaning and checking filters. Got a fair amount of dust bunnies cleared out. Removed the hard drive and reseated. Low and behold, I turn the computer on and, it has been very responsive. It boots up almost like a new computer. Lololol, go figure that you do a little maintenance like you should and it seems to work.

Will check tonight if can run three instances of EQ.

Rykard
  13. Ravengloome Augur

Paladin enchanter wizard. Done.
  14. Rykard Augur

I like the idea of increased spell damage. I have worked on a enchanter up to 35 along time ago. Will see if can manage to work the enc/wiz together.; however, it may take sometime as my play sessions are usually 3 hours max with an exception on Tuesday nights.

Thank you for advice,

Rykard
  15. Ravengloome Augur

Enchanter is sosososssssooooo much more then increased spell damage. You get a 2nd tank, cc, blurring, dps, and far more powerful debuffs then a shaman can provide
  16. Edrick Augur

PAL/PAL/PAL or go home
  17. Qest T. Silverclaw Augur

They all sacrifice themselves for each other?
  18. Brohg Augur

For the wiz mercs who are actually getting anything done, duh
    Qest T. Silverclaw likes this.
  19. Ravengloome Augur

SO MUCH PUREFORGE
  20. Rykard Augur

All,

After the cleaning of filters and areas inside, computer processes much faster and runs three instances with no issue. It actually runs all three faster than two before.

Rykard