Thoughts on Cheap Box PC's?

Discussion in 'Time Locked Progression Servers' started by Haldaf, Aug 29, 2018.

1. Haldaf New Member

Trying to get an idea of some of these would run it... don't care about graphics or loading times really. just want to be able to cast spells/attack/etc.

Looking for something I can buy and start using this weekend so Newegg is really out.

Best Buy Dell

Microcenter Asus

Microcenter Acer

Thanks for your help
  2. HoodenShuklak Augur

Looking at the Dell or Asus they both seem quite modern and I imagine easily run EQ TLP.

However, I bought a laptop as well and it was only slightly more powerful than those and you have to sacrifice graphics and load times. On raids you notice it, but otherwise, it's a fine "box." The game simply won't be as smooth or pretty if you "main" the laptop.
  3. malaki Augur

You can get similar spec refurbished laptops for about half the price and they'll work just fine.
  4. Trizek Augur

Either of those will do just fine so whatever is the cheapest. I got a Craptop worse specs than either of those. Granted I play with Clipplane pretty low and all graphic options either off or lowest. I don't raid on my Craptop box so dunno how it'll perform there.

The only thing that concerns me is the storage on the Dell and Acer. Sure eMMC is great, and 32 Gigs is enough for EQ + Windows, but you're going to be on real thin ice.
  5. Sagarmatha Augur

Be sure to check out Craigslist. I have found countless rigs that can easily run EQ for under $100. As Trizek mentioned, you're going to have to turn the clip plane very low and disable particle effects, but it's a box, so- who cares, right?

Almost anything still running can handle EQ with the right tweaks.
    Risiko likes this.
  6. Risiko Augur

This ^^^.

People sale their used computers for dirt cheap because they don't think they are worth anything, and well some aren't lol. You can find some gems sometimes. At worst, you might have to replace the hard drive, but they're so cheap these days, and you honestly don't need that large of a drive to just run windows and eq on it.
  7. Geroblue Augur

Be sure you aren't looking at a web machine. They log into the cloud to do things.
  8. Numiko Augur

you do not need much to play EQ, this is the minimum requirements per their support page:

MINIMUM SYSTEM REQUIREMENTS
    • Processor: Pentium 4/Athlon 64 or better
    • Memory: 2 GB RAM
    • Graphics: NVIDIA Ti 4800 or ATI 9800 (comparison chart)
    • Network: 28.8k + Internet Connection
    • Hard Drive: 10 GB of free hard drive space
    OPTIMAL RECOMMENDED SYSTEM SPECIFICATIONS
    • Processor: Intel Core 2 Duo / AMD Phenom II x2
    • Memory: 4 GB RAM
    • Graphics: NVIDIA 6800 or ATI x1800 (comparison chart)
    • Network: 56.6k + Internet Connection
    • Hard Drive: 10 GB of free hard drive space
  9. Karhar Dream Crusher

10. ForumBoss Augur

I got a 100 dollar refurbished Lenovo with s 2nd gen i5 and no GPU. It runs with the clip plane and shadows down all the way. I still have to look down or up all the way in demanding zones while auto following. If using intel graphics, i would stick with at least 4th gen.