Thoughts from a parting player

Discussion in 'The Veterans' Lounge' started by Scurvy, Mar 26, 2022.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. MasterMagnus The Oracle of AllHigh

1.Design game any old way you want, or just inherit it.
    2.Don't use that line in your EULA.
    3.????
    4.Profit.
  2. Visitor Augur

I have been playing EQ for quite some time, and sense some problems with the original post. Is the character in an active guild, and what is the current level? Solo players or in their own private guild tend to be sort of shut out, in favour of guildies. If we knew what level the rogue is now, there may have been advice on how to improve MOLO play. As to the matter of alt accounts, that is a choice, i have some that are used to farm Trade goods, without having to log in my main accounts, and have a few silver mule accounts with max level buff bots, just because i could level them to buff my mains, and store stuff.
    Still the big missing info , is being in a friendly guild and current level, tends to make the forum more of an attitude thing instead of being helpful to the poster, and anyone else in a similar position. It is obvious that OP wants to play, but is stymied atm, so more input, to provide an option for appropriate suggestions would be good. I suspect that time of day available to play is also of significance- also days of the week, if limited.
  3. Skrab East Cabilis #1 Realtor

I love the lack of self awareness in these types of threads. OP complains about lack of groups, while being told no problem exists by people that box because they couldn’t count on groups. The sheer fact boxing is promoted as a standard of gameplay points to the overall lack of groups and desire of people to group.
    Vumad likes this.
  4. Burdi Augur

This striking how dismissive and unkind is the core EQ community.
    There is really all the good stuff that would justify a lock or a delete for this discussion.
    Rudenesses, ad hominem attack….
    The is symptomatic of the how toxic the EQ community became.
    Brontus and MasterMagnus like this.
  5. Benito EQ player since 2001.

I agree. OP derailed his own thread by calling others "dumb" and "stupid." We are all adults here. We can have discourse without name-calling and profanity.
  6. Bigstomp Augur

I read the title originally as thoughts from a partying player. i was looking for some advice on where to go.
  7. mark Augur

if you dont wanto really box just add 2 free accounts have them on autofollow with their mercs dont need to use another program if your playing live
    tanith likes this.
  8. Vumad Cape Wearer

The vocal few is not a reflection of the quiet majority. The EQ community as a whole is not toxic, but a few loud voices can cause contrary perception.
    Metanis, Sissruukk and Windance like this.
  9. Windance Augur

I totally agree with this statement.

I think you will find most of the EQ player base just want to log in and forget the real world by chatting with friends and being able to make "some progress" improving their characters.

Sadly there are those in game and who play forum quest who strive to make them selves feel better by putting others down.
  10. Owl56 Elder

IF you desire to keep playing EQ, /testcopy your character(s) to Test Server and let your sub lapse.
    You can play, at your leisure, whenever you feel like it; double experience; and will find folks who can help you gear up. Your original toons stay right where they are.
    Bernel and MasterMagnus like this.
  11. Cicelee Augur

Was that the problem, there were no players on the server to group with?

Or was the problem...

1. OP picked a non solo class that relies heavily on others to help, and has known this for 20 years, and is now mad his non solo class cannot solo...
    2. OP is playing during a time when there is no one around, and if he switched to a more active server that has more people online during his time frame then he would have a higher chance of grouping...
    3. OP may have a poor attitude and/or may not fully give effort and try and has a reputation on the server for that, which as a result means groups do not want him...

I don't know. None of us know. We can only speculate, because there are two sides to every story and so far we have only heard one side.
  12. Skrab East Cabilis #1 Realtor

The overwhelming number of box accounts point towards other reasons.
  13. Whulfgar Augur

More an more these days..

I'd love to see the op.. post their toons hero journey on all their toons. And completed hunter.. just saying..
    Benito likes this.
  14. The real Sandaormo Augur

I'm not even that friendly and still get groups no problem. In 20 years you don't have any friends or not joined a guild? EQ makes you be civil to people, people have to want to hang out with you. It's usually cuz your fun to be around, skilled at your class or you make your own groups looking for others that can't "find" a group.

I don't know you so I can't speak to your situation but maybe EQ is not for you. Attitude, demeanor, how you treat others etc all come into play when you want something from other players ( in this case a group )
    Skuz likes this.
  15. Sissruukk Rogue One

Still need a group to complete some aspects of Hero's Journey, including the last two quests to actually complete it.
    Whulfgar likes this.
  16. Bernel Augur

I don't disagree that being friends with lots of people and playing your class at top ability will help get groups, but I think it's a mistake to say that it's your fault for not doing those things as to why you don't get groups. I'm sure many of us got groups in the olden times by just going around to popular zones and asking to join the camp. Our friendliness, our popularity on the server, or exemplary play wasn't really the deciding factor. Groups appreciated the extra help and would generally add people. That's not really the case anymore. Most zones are deserted, and the ones which have camps are being camped by a self-sufficient boxing crew. They don't need or want to add a rando who's going to take exp and loot. They don't need the help. The suggestions to switch to a solo-capable class and to box just make this problem even worse. If the OP switches to something like a magician with a boxed bard, he'll be just another self-sufficient boxing crew that doesn't group anymore. He'll be one less person LFG or willing to add someone to his group.

I don't really see grouping fixes as helping at this point. I think the era of pick-up groups is over on live servers. What is needed is to recognize that the game is really more of a solo game at this point and ensure that method of play remains viable. It seems quite often, there is just one real person in the group. Either they are molo-ing or boxing, but it's just one human. There's no reason that EQ can't make it possible for a rogue to molo more efficiently. They may not be as efficient as a mage molo-ing, but they should still be able to play their favorite class in the current environment.
    Skrab and Sissruukk like this.
  17. minimind The Village Idiot

Nailed it. OP has created an unwinnable situation for everyone involved.

A more functional post would have been, "I started playing on a US server, but should have been on the Euro server. I can't afford to move servers. Is there anyone that can help?"
  18. Skrab East Cabilis #1 Realtor

The way that is written, the OP would’ve been roasted for asking for money.
  19. The real Sandaormo Augur

Lets set up a GoFundMe to get this guy to a Euro Server? Goal $25 (might be $50 dunno lol )
    Whulfgar likes this.
  20. Skuz I am become Wrath, the Destroyer of Worlds.

I think if he was moving & asking for funds he'd want enough to move his entire roster, main, alts, mules, everything....I doubt $50 would get close to covering that.

Like, I am hoping a free transfer window opens up on Phinigel the same as was done for Selo so I can move all of mine off of there.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.