Thought Experiment: Best solo class to create wealth that ignores contested camps on TLP Launch?

Discussion in 'Time Locked Progression Servers' started by Sillyfish, Mar 19, 2024.

1. Sillyfish Elder

So the most fun thing for me to do early on in the life of a fresh TLP server is to see how much wealth I can amass to fuel my later projects and characters. Problem is, as a solo player I'm never going to be able to compete with the Krono farmer groups spawn camping things like GEBS or whatever. Hill Giants are usually swarmed as well. Thus I have once again come to the forums to talk to you folks about it, since I love talking about this almost as much as I love doing it, and I enjoy reading your thoughts.

What do you guys think is a good earner that can just keep chugging away and making platinum? I'm interested in any kind of strategy you have, no matter how out of the box some people might consider it.
  2. Shalom Quillmane Bane

Alchemy or teleport services
    Barton-Vox likes this.
  3. Jedipokey The Devs have become better at Apathy! (380)

You got it all wrong, Richgirlie clones are the best way to make money. Be careful cuz if you mention that Richgirlie is a Dev you will get disconnected magically.
    Barton-Vox and Flexin like this.
  4. NuffanTuit Nuffan Tuit on Innoruuk Server

Shaman is decent solo and has alchemy. which is easy to raise level in.

Enchanter if you are good at charming your tank...and have access to lots of heal potions. research and jewelcraft do well until Luclin launches.

Halfling Druid, one of the better solo classes and has transport and tailoring for haversacks.
  5. Stagentti Augur

Druid for ports. Not even close. Just be fast to be the first one to grab a job and book another while on your way to the first.

Then you get yourself a cleric and offer mobile 96% rezzes. People will pay $$$ for a rez since you can't always get a cleric to come to you or be in the zone off times.

I always make a f*ck load of money.
  6. FadedshadeTLP Lorekeeper

I usually go for research, eventho it is a costly affair to get going i usually make a reasonable amount of plat doing it. At least enough for me to feel i did well with it
  7. Arclyte Augur

halfling guards drop decent cash weapons & shields

not the fastest, but you get to kill halflings
  8. Elabone Augur

I would echo this, except i would add, join a guild prior to launch, and get them to funnel money to you in exchange for crafting them spells at cost. You will level up research 10x faster while providing a small benefit and time save for a bunch of other people.
  9. Sillyfish Elder

How does Jewelery and Alchemy compare to each other?
    Also, how would you compare these two to something like... being an evil necrodude and killing Guards or something?
  10. Doranur_Aleguzzler Filthy Casualâ„¢

On Mischief, I made a few krono quickly by advertising port services in the taxi channel, from the tunnel. "Just open a trade window," more often than not translated to a large sum of plat. I made the most once people started getting xp or farming stuff in PoHate.

As far as alchemy, casters will chew through stacks of greater concentration potions in a night. SOW potions are also in demand. I'm not in the potion selling business, but the Affinity line of potions, which have a stacking 5% mana reduction on various magic categories are always appreciated when I hand them out to guildmates. You can make up to the rank III versions early on, and they are useful until PoP if you stay at level cap.

Some things to farm for alchemy early on are froglok blood, and dwarf meat. Both are used in illusion potions. Also look at the drops needed to make the distillates, some of which can be made in classic. But I made the most money by waiting until PoP launched on a TLP, spending an hour to make several thousand dye vials, and then an hour later, once LoY opened, I headed to Gulf of Gunthak, and bought the items needed to make vials of prismatic dye. I ran the market for almost 24 hours, selling at 10k a pop. If the dupeflation event hadn't already occurred, I probably wouldn't have done as well, but I would have been able to buy a krono or three at least.
  11. Dominate Augur

You are better off rushing to 35+ and farming HG's. If you cannot compete on HG hill for pp/hr you need to re-evaluate your ability to farm Krono for future endeavors.

If you want to amass 20-50 Krono play a mage and monopolize early spawns that can be easily soloed. If you have a base understanding of classic EQ, those camps should be obvious without a forum post.

If you cannot compete with people who are clearly better at the game than you; Farm fine steel in Mistmoore. It stacks up quickly, is easily obtainable, and has no competition.

If you are looking for people to give you secrets for free you should post on Facebook Marketplace :)
  12. Bobbybick Only Banned Twice

The bottom can fall out of alchemy real quick if a decent number of shamans decide to level up their alchemy early, which they usually do because it's so cheap to spam Greater Conc pots.

If you want to sit in Commons tunnel all the time hawking potions for 10-20% markup (if you are lucky) yeah you can make some plat but it's not as lucrative as it sounds.
    Appren likes this.
  13. 25thAnniBaby Lorekeeper

Spell Research

If you take the right leveling path you can easily make 100s of krono in classic from selling Enchanter/Mage spells.
    Although, this has a lot to do on how fast you level up also...

I would pick Enchanter/Mage as the class to level up doing this, they are used and abused in classic.
  14. Stagentti Augur

Every TLP I've played on...

HG: Bot armies covering all spawn points and/or warping. Regular folks stood no chance.

Early spawns with loot worth anything that can be solo'd: Mag bot armies. Sure a regular person will win every now and then but you aren't going to consistently beat someone botting and using 3rd party software.

So I find the "git gud" attitude kind of funny.
    Jedipokey likes this.
  15. IheartEQ Elder

OP should take Bobby's advice here.

I went hard with Alchemy on Oakwynd to the point where I had the most pots for sale during the first few weeks of the server's launch. I undercut every other Alchemist, bought up every farmer's stash, and spent hours upon hours in the tunnel. It wasn't worth the time, krono, or the headache.

HG farmers outdid me.
    Spell Researchers wrecked me.
    Blacksmithers destroyed me.

I had one blacksmither who told me that they made 100+ krono from being the first to sell banded armor. I couldn't confirm their story, so they could have been exaggerating by a lot or by a little.

You have to ask yourself what will improve the life of a player in classic?
    Conc potions really help but they are so easy to make.
    No one needs health regen and mana regen potions in classic. Most can't afford them anyway. Most guilds have a alchemist to create all of the special pots anyway, so they won't need you to create anything other than conc potions for leveling.
    INT classes DO need their spells.
    Melee and Tanks DO need AC. A full set of banded armor makes level 1-10 so much easier to level than wearing cloth or empty slots.
    I knew two JC'ers who struggled to break even. I suspect that they didn't plan out their journey correctly but they were spamming their goods more than any other tradeskiller did.
    I only remember one tinkerer who would make a rebreather, sell the rebreather, and use the profits from the sale to create another rebreather. I think their profits were terrible.

If you can find a way to combo Alchemy (conc pots), Spell research (mage pets), and Blacksmithing (banded armor), you can and will make a lot of krono.
    Jedipokey likes this.
  16. 25thAnniBaby Lorekeeper

I can attest to the Blacksmith making that much if they were among the first to sell and if they constantly sold instead of leveling to 50.
    It does not take much platinum to make banded and you sell it for 1kr per set at the start of classic usually, if you can keep up with the platinum in your own pocket you will easily turn a big profit.

I have done the tinkering journey and will say that the Rebreather portion is only good if you have the skill and bankroll as they are not cheap and come into play later into the expac.
    I made more however on Mech Picklocks and the spyglasses.
  17. NuffanTuit Nuffan Tuit on Innoruuk Server

Jewlcraft cost more to raise skill and does not sell that great or for that long.

Alchemy is great sow potions, healing potions, greater concentration potions. cost very little to raise skill in comparison and sells for a very long time.

Research makes the biggest bang early but drops hard at Luclin and go to crap completely with PoP.
  18. Vlahkmaak Augur

I've never had money problems with a nec - esp on TLPs. Just snare kite 3-4 mobs at a time and vender trash and sell hides. Ton of hides in the Karanas and the zones are usually fairly empty. Can do this with a Shammy too but pull fewer mobs and forage/raise Alchemy as pots sell well. A solo Nec can also destroy lower lvl camps for loot. A human nec can decimate lizards to turn all those swords into armor and the steel blocks from high keep too are easier to score at high levels.
  19. jeskola pheerie

I literally made 400 krono first week of last TLP. Pro tip: work a real life job and dont sit in your own filth in moms basement
  20. Indigo_Quarmite Augur

I got my start farming Paw of Opalla as a solo player with no krono back on Lockjaw. On a traditional ruleset it sold well enough to get me close to 1kr of plat per Paw. Do Gynok first - can drop multiple rings - makes getting the remaining ones more painless. Druid makes it easy to port around. Bind outside befallen if 2 platinum rings drop - origin to shared bank one gate back to loot the 2nd - you basically get 2 Paws in one kill. Probably made about 10kr in Paws.

Was in a raid guild - blew DKP on an AoN - sold it for another 10kr right after they announced Phinny and never looked back to the mindless plat farms.

TLDR: find a rewarding quest that has a high quality reward that the class you play can easily farm and rinse and repeat - join a guild you don't like - bid on some tradeables - sell em - find a guild you like.

Congrats you are all caught up and never a pauper again.

People suggesting crafting - you have to enjoy it and do it a lot I would say. Profit Margin to slim to ever really be well off.