Thinking of returning, have some questions

Discussion in 'The Newbie Zone' started by That Guy, Jun 10, 2021.

1. That Guy Journeyman

Hello forums,

Returning player here, though it has been awhile. And I have a few questions before diving back into things.

1. Boxing/trueboxing/multiboxing - just to be certain I am understanding the terms as they were when I was playing, boxing is playing more than 1 character, trueboxing is 1 account per computer, and multiboxing is playing more than 1 account per computer. Correct? I do enjoy grouping, meeting folks and making friends. But I want the option to do my own thing if I like, and oldschool EQ was "you must group" vibe to it, which I want to avoid.

Assuming I have that right, which is allowed? I have a laptop as well as a desktop, and I would like to play 2, possibly 3 characters. Or is that frowned upon? I may be That Guy, but I don't want to be "that" guy.

2. Has there been any large class changes/overhauls? I am not referring to dps rankings, that used to change like flavor of the month. I am wondering about any new toolkit overhauls classes may have went through.

3. I don't want to play live, as I would have like 20 years of catching up to do. The TLPs look interesting, but there is a lot of them and I am uncertain where in the expansions they are. And if going from the forum posts are anything to go by, it looks like some might be the wild wild west. Any recommendations for a fresh start would be appreciated.

4. Lastly, I know this is perhaps a cliche question, but I have to ask it anyway. Assuming its okay to 2 box on my laptop and desktop, what would be a duo team that would work?

I am leaning Shadowknight and Shaman right now, as that covers most things. I am aware Enchanter and cleric are strong, but I tend to have to go afk time to time and don't want to have to rez after each time I do from a charmed pet breaking. (Or does this get better with time?) Or are there any other suggestions/recommendations?

Thank you in advance
  2. CatsPaws No response to your post cause your on ignore

You may want to look in the TLP forums - there was a discussion on what is a bot/box/requirements etc a few days ago.

Different TLP servers have different requirements which was also mentioned in a break down recently.

One seldom sees these issues on live, you can play on your laptop or the desktop, your bosses computer or the roof - just can't play on your phone...yet. And it does not take that long to catch up cause the experience goes much faster now.
  3. Sarvis Journeyman

1) Should look at the specific rulesets for the TLPs you're interested in. Aradune (launched last year) is truebox with a two box limit. You can play two toons using two separate computers. Rizlona which was launched at the same time is full boxing, you can play as many toons as you want on one computer or many computers. Mischief and Thornblade which are new servers are truebox without a box limit, so it's like Aradune without the 2 box limit. Mischief and Thornblade both have different rulesets (free trade servers and random loot) so that may or may not appeal to you. Since you aren't interested in Live you probably want to stick to those servers. I don't think boxing has much of a stigma unless you're six boxing and perma camping something I guess. I group with two boxers from time to time on Mischief and haven't had an issue with them.

2) I mean the meta has changed a lot over expansions but I don't know that there's been any drastic overhauls. I'm a new returner as well.

4) Melee + shaman is kind of the classic combination that always works. SK or monk would be my suggestion. There's good caster combos too, and you mentioned probably the best one.
  4. That Guy Journeyman

Thank you both, CatsPaws and Sarvis for the replies.

I did some looking and found a few answers. Think I will go with Mischief. I am fine with trueboxing, and the random loot might be a nice change. As far as what to make, I am still kicking that around. I was Necro on Live back in the day, so may try a box around that. Shaman, Druid, or Bard perhaps. Not sure quite yet, as I said I am still musing what I want to play long term. But that's a discussion that's been had many times on the forums, so I am still browsing the past topics and discussions to see what strikes me.