No Fix Planned There's no filter for "activates" chat text, is there

Discussion in 'Resolved' started by Mukkul, Apr 26, 2020.

1. Mukkul Augur

Lately there's been a spate of "Player X activates Ability Y" spam. Especially in non-combat zones. I looked under Combat Abilities / Disciplines, but that filter only allows Show/Hide, there's no Group Only option -- if that's even the right filter.

Similar problem with taunt messages, which has no blocking option at all.

You need to update the chat filters to allow blocking the new types of out-of-group text spam in the chat window -- including taunt, combat activations, and whatever else is new.

[IMG]
    Moege likes this.
  2. Moege Augur

It is the right filter, tested it with shield sunder

Options -> Chat
    combat abilities (disciplines you) : show/hide
    combat abilities (disciplines others): show/hide
    Hides the combat ability and the XXX activate message

Move them to your spam window.
    Filters -> Melee -> combat abilities (disciplines you)
    Filters -> Melee -> combat abilities (disciplines others)
    Filters -> Melee -> Taunt Messages

Think its an all or nothing approach.
    Mukkul and Duder like this.
  3. niente Developer

There is a filter for "Soandso activates Abilityname," but there's no group only option at this time.

It would be great to make every chat filter on/off/group only/mine only, etc. but the way the current chat system works makes this a lot of manual work. At some point we should revamp the chat filter system to make this easier.
  4. Hegsheoshed Augur

I would love to see consider messages get their own filter if that revamp ever happens.
  5. Angahran Augur

Yes :)

Every type of message should be filterable and be able to have its color specified.

Another filter option that would be great would be 'to screen/to logfile/both'.

'to screen' - stuff you want to see but have no interest in looking at at a later date.
    'to logfile' - stuff you don't need to see 'live' but may want to look at later, e.g. others damage if you want to parse, etc.
    'both' - current functionality, everything goes to both the screen and the logfile.
  6. Moege Augur

Kind of wondering how this system works, does the filter happen server side or client side ?
  7. niente Developer

Both server and client. The filter check is an individual check on each message to see if the player has it on/off or set to group only (if that filter supports it). On the server, it won't send a chat message to the player if the filter is off (i.e. others misses). Some messages are sent to the client and filtered there (i.e. bard songs, PC begins casting a spell messages). It varies and is basically everywhere.
    kizant likes this.